Total noob question about Pods...

Balanje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got 2x Green Mandarin fish... I bought 5280 Pods from AlgaeBarn and received them today. Do I simply pour the bag into the DT during the lights-off period of the tank in order to restock? I'm pretty hesitant to pour outside water into the tank. Kind of goes against everything I've done with QT and acclimation.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's tuff to keep bag water out of the display. Some of the pods are very tiny. Maybe a coffee filter? However I'd be afraid some would get entangled. There must be a trick.

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got 2x Green Mandarin fish... I bought 5280 Pods from AlgaeBarn and received them today. Do I simply pour the bag into the DT during the lights-off period of the tank in order to restock? I'm pretty hesitant to pour outside water into the tank. Kind of goes against everything I've done with QT and acclimation.

Yes you should do that to keep a healthy supply of pods not only for the mandarins but the are part of you clean up crew. Depending on how mature your tank and current pod population is you may need to target feed your mandarins a couple times a day so they don’t starve to death. They will hunt all day and can decimate a pod population very quickly if you don’t keep restocking your pods, or have a decent refugium for the pods to breed unchecked.

Raindog3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you should do that to keep a healthy supply of pods not only for the mandarins but the are part of you clean up crew. Depending on how mature your tank and current pod population is you may need to target feed your mandarins a couple times a day so they don’t starve to death. They will hunt all day and can decimate a pod population very quickly if you don’t keep restocking your pods, or have a decent refugium for the pods to breed unchecked.
This guy has it right!
You can just dump them in, I do! Like once a week to feed my Red Scooter not-Blenny...

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

His question wasn’t about feeding.... it was about the water the pods came in. If it’s safe to dump in or possible ideas of filtering it out.

I too wonder since I’ve done the pouring method.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a brine shrimp sieve and strain them first...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back