Totally Clueless

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the salty side and we're glad you found us! We all started out clueless at one time and this is definitely a hobby where things are always changing. It sounds like you're off to a good start with your purchases and it sounds like you have a great support network within your family. Nothing good comes from rushing saltwater so you're already in the right frame of mind. Ask as many questions as needed. Heck I didn't even know when freshwater top-offs were needed vs. adding new saltwater so you're probably starting off miles ahead of where I was. Haha. I look forward to watching your tank progress and I'm sure it will be wonderful. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
CAF02258-6035-4263-8A80-ABCBD73E6395.gif

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so new I am not even sure if I am posting in the right place but I just want to introduce myself. I am totally new to saltwater reefing. I converted a freshwater tank to saltwater 40 years ago which lasted for about six months and failed so badly I vowed I would never do saltwater again. Well I guess some vows are made to be broken. I don't remember anything so I am starting totally clueless again. I don't want to spend my all my retirement savings into this adventure so I am starting out really slow, reading and watching videos, looking to buy used tanks and equipment and doing DIY where ever I can. My challenge is that I only have the use of one arm from a stroke but I have sons in law and grandkids that are willing to help until all the goodwill is used up,

I have very limited footprint for a tank, approximately 48” by 20”. I watched the classifieds and purchased the following:

50g tank 48 x 12 x 18 (Internal corner overflow)
Stand with all the plumbing
Euro-Reef Skimmer
Hygger Heater with external digital control
Orbit Dual LED Light Fixture with Loop Controller
2 Eflux wave pumps Kit
2 DC pumps
2 Buckets of rock
29g tank

I think I got everything for a good price but I did say I am clueless. I know there are a lot of pros and cons to the above equipment but it is what it is.
I wanted a larger stand so my son in law built a beautiful stand for the tank and at least I will have something nice to display if the tank (not me) fails again. I am going to install a sump and just hoping the dimensions I gave for the stand were followed!

After I (well the grandkids) cleaned the tank I found some pretty deep scratches in the glass and I am not sure if I could polish them out. I found another used 50 gallon tank in great condition but I will need to drill holes in the glass for the external overflow and the returns from the sump. I put on the polarized glasses and the glass does not appear to be tempered. Also I am going to try to build an external bean animal overflow box. Fingers crossed for all the above.

So here is where I am at:
I am waiting on the ordered different size bulkheads, diamond drill bits, acrylic plastic, solvent and syringes.
Any direction would be appreciated as I work on this build. I have lots of questions but hopefully somebody has already posted the answers.
Welcome to R2R. You are in the right place
Welcome to R2R.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back