Totally Clueless

JLN72

Never Too Old To Try
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so new I am not even sure if I am posting in the right place but I just want to introduce myself. I am totally new to saltwater reefing. I converted a freshwater tank to saltwater 40 years ago which lasted for about six months and failed so badly I vowed I would never do saltwater again. Well I guess some vows are made to be broken. I don't remember anything so I am starting totally clueless again. I don't want to spend my all my retirement savings into this adventure so I am starting out really slow, reading and watching videos, looking to buy used tanks and equipment and doing DIY where ever I can. My challenge is that I only have the use of one arm from a stroke but I have sons in law and grandkids that are willing to help until all the goodwill is used up,

I have very limited footprint for a tank, approximately 48” by 20”. I watched the classifieds and purchased the following:

50g tank 48 x 12 x 18 (Internal corner overflow)
Stand with all the plumbing
Euro-Reef Skimmer
Hygger Heater with external digital control
Orbit Dual LED Light Fixture with Loop Controller
2 Eflux wave pumps Kit
2 DC pumps
2 Buckets of rock
29g tank

I think I got everything for a good price but I did say I am clueless. I know there are a lot of pros and cons to the above equipment but it is what it is.
I wanted a larger stand so my son in law built a beautiful stand for the tank and at least I will have something nice to display if the tank (not me) fails again. I am going to install a sump and just hoping the dimensions I gave for the stand were followed!

After I (well the grandkids) cleaned the tank I found some pretty deep scratches in the glass and I am not sure if I could polish them out. I found another used 50 gallon tank in great condition but I will need to drill holes in the glass for the external overflow and the returns from the sump. I put on the polarized glasses and the glass does not appear to be tempered. Also I am going to try to build an external bean animal overflow box. Fingers crossed for all the above.

So here is where I am at:
I am waiting on the ordered different size bulkheads, diamond drill bits, acrylic plastic, solvent and syringes.
Any direction would be appreciated as I work on this build. I have lots of questions but hopefully somebody has already posted the answers.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Kennya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. This is a pretty good starting point if youve not yet read it. All the best with your advanture.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R. Saltwater tanks have gotten easier to keep IMO as equipment and understanding of what is needed to be successful have both improved.
If your son in law is handy enough to build a beautiful stand then drilling holes in the glass should be a piece of cake.
Good luck and don't forget to post pics once you have it all together.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community. This is a great place to learn and ask questions, been doing it for a year before starting my own build. Check out the DIY forum and some of the other specific subject forums. Bulk Reef Supply has tons of great startup videos on their website or YouTube.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so new I am not even sure if I am posting in the right place but I just want to introduce myself. I am totally new to saltwater reefing. I converted a freshwater tank to saltwater 40 years ago which lasted for about six months and failed so badly I vowed I would never do saltwater again. Well I guess some vows are made to be broken. I don't remember anything so I am starting totally clueless again. I don't want to spend my all my retirement savings into this adventure so I am starting out really slow, reading and watching videos, looking to buy used tanks and equipment and doing DIY where ever I can. My challenge is that I only have the use of one arm from a stroke but I have sons in law and grandkids that are willing to help until all the goodwill is used up,

I have very limited footprint for a tank, approximately 48” by 20”. I watched the classifieds and purchased the following:

50g tank 48 x 12 x 18 (Internal corner overflow)
Stand with all the plumbing
Euro-Reef Skimmer
Hygger Heater with external digital control
Orbit Dual LED Light Fixture with Loop Controller
2 Eflux wave pumps Kit
2 DC pumps
2 Buckets of rock
29g tank

I think I got everything for a good price but I did say I am clueless. I know there are a lot of pros and cons to the above equipment but it is what it is.
I wanted a larger stand so my son in law built a beautiful stand for the tank and at least I will have something nice to display if the tank (not me) fails again. I am going to install a sump and just hoping the dimensions I gave for the stand were followed!

After I (well the grandkids) cleaned the tank I found some pretty deep scratches in the glass and I am not sure if I could polish them out. I found another used 50 gallon tank in great condition but I will need to drill holes in the glass for the external overflow and the returns from the sump. I put on the polarized glasses and the glass does not appear to be tempered. Also I am going to try to build an external bean animal overflow box. Fingers crossed for all the above.

So here is where I am at:
I am waiting on the ordered different size bulkheads, diamond drill bits, acrylic plastic, solvent and syringes.
Any direction would be appreciated as I work on this build. I have lots of questions but hopefully somebody has already posted the answers.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Sounds like you've done your research and are moving forward. There are so many ways to reach our goals with this hobby, so I know you'll find your path. I'm a fan of buying used where I can (to save money) and for water changes I string together plastic tubes so the water runs all the way out of the house to the curb drain (keeps me from having to lift much during water changes). My saltwater mixing trashcan is on wheels, so I can wheel it into the room with fishtank, when its time.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Nothing wrong with being new. If I can give you tips :
-Resist the urge to move the corals around. They like being left alone.
-Monitor your salinity carefully at first until you are comfortable with evaporation and ATO.
- change one thing at a time, that way it's easier to diagnose the source of any issues that crop up.

Plenty of super experienced people here that have decades of experience. You got this and we got you! Happy to have you here.

OP
OP
J

JLN72

Never Too Old To Try
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. This is a pretty good starting point if youve not yet read it. All the best with your advanture.

Thank you. I am trying to read all I can.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 134 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back