Toxic Herbicide Drift

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's a nice day out and I was on my lunch break only to hear an annoying noise outside. Seems the neighbor was having a toxic chemical cocktail sprayed on his lawn. I can also smell it clearly as some has drifted into the house, since the windows were open and some fans were on.

I called up the company and it turns out they were spraying Boulder 6.3 EC and Dimension 2EW, both of which are toxic to fish and the latter of which is particularly toxic to marine invertebrates.

Should I be worried?

I called up the company and demanded they make a note on my neighbor's account to notify me if this stuff was sprayed again so I could close my windows and turn off fans, but they refused to accommodate since it's not my account.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Is there any other action I can take? I will do water changes tomorrow, sooner if I notice any die-off.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume if there is an effect, it would be rather rapid. I wouldn't wait on water changes for signs of decline if I was worried but I probably wouldn't be too worried if I haven't seen any negative effects yet.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you have state laws on this? When I had a Lawn Sprayer Service, they had to notify the Neighbors on either side of me. Even when Spraying Fertilizer. I’m Rural, so there’s no one across the street. I dumped them when they Sprayed Herbicides, in the Cold Winter, just before New Year’s Day, and damaged some Evergreen Trees. I know what they were doing, trying to get rid of the Herbicides before the end of the year, so they didn’t have disposal fees.

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you have state laws on this? When I had a Lawn Sprayer Service, they had to notify the Neighbors on either side of me. Even when Spraying Fertilizer. I’m Rural, so there’s no one across the street. I dumped them when they Sprayed Herbicides, in the Cold Winter, just before New Year’s Day, and damaged some Evergreen Trees. I know what they were doing, trying to get rid of the Herbicides before the end of the year, so they didn’t have disposal fees.
No, they're only required to notify you by posting a sign on the lawn and these guys didn't even do that much.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back