I’m guessing if you submerged the waterpik it’s a non corded , rechargeable? waterproof version? If so have you noticed any Battery leakage possibly lithium?
Id call those fish mighty prepped, that's ten times the avg prep
wanted to show you something, knowing your updates. for musings and for similarities
can you ignore the eight pages of flame here as we vied for causatives but check out his presentation reason, same as yours
all he did was cast a handful of old sand once, into his new tank, doing fine just before, and all his fish died
fine before handful old sand
all dead after. simple as that
what you are cleaning out of live rock is indeed found compacted in layers in old tank sand, no?
Recently had a huge leak in our 90 gal reef which forced us to upgrade sooner than expected . The upgrade being a 230 gal with a 48 gal sump . Mistake #1 I added some of the old sand assuming it would be beneficial to have a little bacteria .. I was wrong . Nuked the whole tank killing all fish...www.reef2reef.com
your assessment seems very linked to that loss as well. good call
even though these losses are devastating the patterns alone help the hobby, in prevention. in our whole sand rinse/replacement thread the #1 rule above all is cast about no waste. your assessment sounds spot on. for eight pages the refs simply would not have it: cannot be the casted sand.
but we think varying states of bacterial rot can matter, can irritate and kill.
*they did sway me originally from thinking it was nh3 raw ammonia though. the little he could transmit in that handful would be quickly eaten up per my own prior proofing.
has to be something more concentrated in the detritus than basic ammonia. your thread is really good.
You think there are nutrients in your dead rock? (If you have any) Thats my only experience with hair algae was from my dead rock. As for the RODI water, did your city add something in your water that can bypass the system? Sometimes some cities dose low amounts of mercury into their water. Im pretty sure mercury is an element that can get past an RODI unit. If that's the case then yikesHi All,
Sorry for a second thread. I've been posting regularly to my other thread about struggles with what I suspect are dinoflagelletes here. Since the beginning of that post I've lost all of my SPS, many of my LPS and zoas. After a disaster last night, I thought I should post a more recent thread.
I've tried numerous things (not at the same time):
Yesterday after a couple of weeks with the third one I thought I would try and do a large waterchange since hair algae had taken over. This was approximately 40% (I did the math wrong in my original thread). I made sure that the salinity (1.026) and temp were exactly the same betwwen the tank and the brute trashcan (I use this from the beginning to hold RO/DI). I even tested the salinity and temp of the tank after doing the water change.
- Small water changes
- Large water changes with siphoning out as much as possible
- No water changes. Measuring phosphate and nitrate every day and dosing Microbacter7 (daily) and/or Dr.Tim's Refresh (weekly)
Parameters so far:
Alk 7.0 (Hanna)
Phosphate 0.06 (Hanna)
Nitrate 4ppm to 8ppm (Red Sea Pro)
Salinity 1.026 (Milwaukee and Refractometer, both calibrated)
Ammonia 0 (Salifert)
My corals do not look better or worse from the water change. My inverts like cleaner shrimp, hermits, and snails unchanged.
However, 3 of 5 my fish have died overnight. I've had them for over 8 months all have been fully quarantined with copper and prazipro.
I suspect two things might have caused the issue and I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on how to proceed.
Pretty heartbroken that this has gone on for months and everything is basically dead. I would like to try again, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be successful.
- Part of the procedure for my water change. Use waterproof handheld waterpik to blast the rocks clean of dinos, scrub and pull hair algae. All of this was done with the pumps on and with a water stone. I kept my skimmer, carbon reactor, and filter socks (10u) in the sump. This may have caused a large die-off causing gill damage to fish. However, I would expect there to be ammonia in the tank.
- There is a contaminant in my RO/DI water. I replaced all filters last month and bought the BRS 5-stage kit for chloramines. I've never registered more than 0TDS from my water. However, is there a chance something like chlorine can still make it? Or some other contaminent?
I am a scientist and am willing to try anything and everything to figure this out, so all suggestions are welcome.