Trachyphylia question

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please view my trachy pic. The left back corner seems like it is growing a whole new body but the way if moves in the current seems like it wants to separate. Is this normal? Thanks for the help.

20210904_104944.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks more like a wilsoni coral to me

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like a wilsoni coral to me
Its got receding tissue now. Was sold to me several months back as a trachy. Has been touching other trachys and seemed fine until this past week. Parameters are ok except low nitrate and phosphate which I'm dosing now. Will try and dip and move it to slightly darker les flow area.

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its got receding tissue now. Was sold to me several months back as a trachy. Has been touching other trachys and seemed fine until this past week. Parameters are ok except low nitrate and phosphate which I'm dosing now. Will try and dip and move it to slightly darker les flow area.
The texture of the rim of the coral makes me think it is a trachy. When I encounter receding tissue in mine, I do an iodide dip and it seems to get better within a week.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The texture of the rim of the coral makes me think it is a trachy. When I encounter receding tissue in mine, I do an iodide dip and it seems to get better within a week.
Ok I'll try this tomorrow

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally when any coral and this type is showing signs of tissue loss, its probably from starvation resulting from the loss of zooxanthellae. Zooxanthellae gets its energy from light and even water flow.
Improper or too low or too bright of lighting will create a deficiency of energy for meaty coral in particular. I have found with my scoly and trachy, sand irritates them , and I elevate them slightly off the sand bed.
Physical feeding of foods like mysis shrimp also needed 2-3X per week. Assure also salinity is not high as well as temperature which too warm can promote bleaching
Lastly, If you have leathers in the tank, they can release toxins which contribute to this behavior.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally when any coral and this type is showing signs of tissue loss, its probably from starvation resulting from the loss of zooxanthellae. Zooxanthellae gets its energy from light and even water flow.
Improper or too low or too bright of lighting will create a deficiency of energy for meaty coral in particular. I have found with my scoly and trachy, sand irritates them , and I elevate them slightly off the sand bed.
Physical feeding of foods like mysis shrimp also needed 2-3X per week. Assure also salinity is not high as well as temperature which too warm can promote bleaching
Lastly, If you have leathers in the tank, they can release toxins which contribute to this behavior.
No leathers, sand not blowing so not sure there are getting irritated by it after several months. Turned lights up 5% but the other trachys right next to this one seem fine. It inflated well for most of the day but the night time close up shows a lot of exposed skeleton. I dont spot feed but do broadcast feed reef nutrition and dose res sea AB daily.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No leathers, sand not blowing so not sure there are getting irritated by it after several months. Turned lights up 5% but the other trachys right next to this one seem fine. It inflated well for most of the day but the night time close up shows a lot of exposed skeleton. I dont spot feed but do broadcast feed reef nutrition and dose res sea AB daily.
The Red Sea A/B may be the issue as many on here have had negative experience. It raises Phos and at times Nitrate (Just a Possibility).

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea A/B may be the issue as many on here have had negative experience. It raises Phos and at times Nitrate (Just a Possibility).

My nitrates and phosphate have bottomed out and I have started dosing to raise the numbers from 0. Tissue recession looks terrible at night but during the day it inflated huge while I dosed the red sea AB.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back