Training fish to eat pellets

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a swallowtail angel that's not eating pellets, only eating frozen mysis/brine. Does anyone have a effective way of training a fish to eat pellets? Thanks!

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put some garlic oil on the pellets. Or feed the pellets at same time as frozen food. Garlic is an attractant though so try that.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a naso tang that doesn't eat pellets either. Haven't worried about it because it's always fat and healthy. But I may try the tip by Carterfish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, take a little water from your tank in a cup and put in some pellets and let them sink to the bottom and then add a drop of Kent's Garlic (or similar) to the cup and let it sit for a bit and then dump it in the tank. This allows it to marinate. That said, Frozen food really is best for your fish and tank overall. Pellets are a dirty food source.

OP
OP
J

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put some garlic oil on the pellets. Or feed the pellets at same time as frozen food. Garlic is an attractant though so try that.

I did try your method, my dang fish is just too smart... It blindly went for one of the pellets without looking when I put in the first scoop, but after that it just never went for any of the pellets in the other scoops of mixed food that I put in. It kind of gave me a nice try smirky look after... :)

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some pellets in a small cup and soak with defrosted mysis shrimp.

If broadcast feeding that doesn't do the trick on its own, take some and put into a half clam shell.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly time will be a factor. Some fish just need to get used to the difference. I feed my fish frozen food everyday and a little flake at lunch time. I tried pellets once and they all ignored it. Maybe try a different brand of pellet

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took my swallowtail pair about three months before they ate pellets. Just takes some time for them to recognize it as food. I have never found garlic useful so i don’t use it. Patience and perseverance.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back