Training Greissenger Goby to Eat Prepared Foods (tips) This Case is a Little More Complicated

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted a Greissenger Goby since I first saw one several months ago and the shop had already presold it but promised to give me first pick next time the shop got some in stock. Well, it turns out they just got two more today and if I want one I need to get it tomorrow (that's as long as they'll hold it for me before paying). The only problem is that apparently they're primarily pod and amphipod eaters which means it may be difficult to wean it onto other foods at first. I had planned to QT it to train it to eat frozen or pellets but there would be no pods in the QT tank so it would be pretty hungry if it didn't quickly take to the prepared foods. My 20 has plenty of pods and I could try to train it in there but my only concern is that nutrient buildup from uneaten food at first may harm the starfish in there. I guess I could put it in my 10 gallon (which sources say is big enough) which also has a pod/amphipod population and do more frequent water changes. If you were in my position what would you do? This is one of the first fish I've seen in a long time that really excited me so I do want it but don't want to jeopardize my stars or risk him starving...so my decision to make by morning is to place him in the 20 gallon, the 10 gallon which is the one with the chiller and corals, a QT tank for observational QT (no medications) just to try to train him to eat, or decide to not get one... Screenshot_2022-09-29-20-38-26-429_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted a Greissenger Goby since I first saw one several months ago and the shop had already presold it but promised to give me first pick next time the shop got some in stock. Well, it turns out they just got two more today and if I want one I need to get it tomorrow (that's as long as they'll hold it for me before paying). The only problem is that apparently they're primarily pod and amphipod eaters which means it may be difficult to wean it onto other foods at first. I had planned to QT it to train it to eat frozen or pellets but there would be no pods in the QT tank so it would be pretty hungry if it didn't quickly take to the prepared foods. My 20 has plenty of pods and I could try to train it in there but my only concern is that nutrient buildup from uneaten food at first may harm the starfish in there. I guess I could put it in my 10 gallon (which sources say is big enough) which also has a pod/amphipod population and do more frequent water changes. If you were in my position what would you do? This is one of the first fish I've seen in a long time that really excited me so I do want it but don't want to jeopardize my stars or risk him starving...so my decision to make by morning is to place him in the 20 gallon, the 10 gallon which is the one with the chiller and corals, a QT tank for observational QT (no medications) just to try to train him to eat, or decide to not get one... Screenshot_2022-09-29-20-38-26-429_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
If your 10 has coral then that will be best. These guys love to hide out and coral will help him feel more secure (especially if they’re branching coral). You will also see yours much more often in a 10, I regret putting mine into a 3’x16”x1’ tank as I’ve only ever seen him twice since setting it up.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your 10 has coral then that will be best. These guys love to hide out and coral will help him feel more secure (especially if they’re branching coral). You will also see yours much more often in a 10, I regret putting mine into a 3’x16”x1’ tank as I’ve only ever seen him twice since setting it up.
Do you think they'd take to live baby brine very easily? What about grindal worms? Unfortunately both add to the nutrient levels after death which could be detrimental to my stars if I don't keep up with water changes strictly.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they'd take to live baby brine very easily? What about grindal worms? Unfortunately both add to the nutrient levels after death which could be detrimental to my stars if I don't keep up with water changes strictly.
I would say stick to pods for now, then try and see if they take to baby brine as they grow a bit more. Mine is currently 1 inch and he only eats food that rests on the sand bed near him. Baby Brine is more likely to be accepted than adult brine.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say stick to pods for now, then try and see if they take to baby brine as they grow a bit more. Mine is currently 1 inch and he only eats food that rests on the sand bed near him. Baby Brine is more likely to be accepted than adult brine.
So you think try baby brine in a QT first or just straight into the 10 gallon? Only concern again is that before he learns to accept the baby brine they'll die and decay rather quickly

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And btw, it's not a cost issue (price is just a little over $31 USD). I just want to ensure the wellbeing of all my creatures, especially my starfish since I'm still working on the study

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back