• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

transaction gone wrong with Mike (sexy corals)

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to resolve this offline with Mike, but it is apparently that whatever ends up happening with my credit card dispute, every hobbyist should know what they are getting into when they order items from Mike.

So background story:

On 7/4 I decided to order a $3,000 box from Mike at Sexy Coral. I texted him and arranged for purchase. I gave him my CC and he charged me for the purchase, with plans to make arrangements for delivery/pick up.

I contacted him 7/6 to inquire about when he can do a delivery, and we scheduled for delivery on 7/13. Then 5 days later (7/11), on a Monday, I followed up again with him to see when i can get the stuff for which he had already charged me. He tells me that he's out of town and won't be back until Thursday or Friday. I tried to contact him on Thursday, and again more delays, he tells me he should be able to do it on Saturday 7/16. Then again he couldn't do it on 7/16.

During this period, I was trying to be understanding but ultimately it pushed out the delivery date to a point where, as luck with have it, I discovered that I had AEFW in my systems on 7/17. It became apparent that I had a long battle ahead to quarantine the tank along with possibly even losing my systems. At this point, with the numerous delays, I decided to tell Mike that I need to just cancel the order. He was not keen on the idea, and even cited the fact that he doesn't give refunds. Thing is, I never even took delivery of the goods, was what I was asking for actually a refund? So in any case he refused to refund me, and, to his credit, tried to offer to help me in any way he can. He offered to get me dips, offered to source me extra tanks. But central to my problem is that the only way I was going to battle this would require that I don't buy anything more, and fix what I have now. If I take delivery of more corals, I would only make the situation worse.

So on 7/18 I decided to file a claim with my credit card to get my money back. I was getting my money back, and I even told Mike what I had planned to do, and that when my tank is ready I would have no problem buying then - but that I was not going to let him sit on my 3,000 for 3-6 or however many months it would take before I can take care of my AEFW problem. Then during a busy morning on 7/20, I received a UPS package. Careless me didn't check who it was from, so I just signed for it, and I was expecting a package, but it didn't turn out to be what I expected. In the package was a bottle of Flatworm stop and revive, from Mike. At the moment I realized that it could either be a really nice gesture, or that I was in the process of getting taken. I know that to satisfy a claim, one would need to provide proof of shipping. But at the same time, I was trying to be hopeful and think the best, that Mike was just trying to help. That despite not making the sale, he was trying to be helpful and that the sooner I fix the issue, the sooner I could go back to him to complete the purchase of the box.

Notice that the weight of the box is 3 pounds.

ixTyLqj.png

Fast forward to today, I get a notice that the merchant responded to the dispute that claims they indeed did ship me my $3,000 worth of corals in a package shipped on 7/18.

oQvTbo6.png

Ultimately, where did things go wrong:

1. I bought a box and after numerous delays by the vendor for personal reasons pushed out the delivery time frame to a time when I no longer can accept delivery because of my own tank issues. This would be like you ordering a backup generator for your house on Amazon. Then Amazon tells you they can’t ship out your item because their warehouse is infested with cockroaches, then the warehouse manager’s daughter has a softball game to attend and therefore can’t ship out for 2 more weeks, during which time earthquake destroyed your house and you no longer need the generator. Then Amazon insists on shipping the item after delaying shipment for a couple of weeks, even though you no longer need it.

2. Mike sent me $80 dollars worth of dips and represented that to paypal/credit card to satisfy the claim.

3. Mike seems to think it is okay to keep my $3,000 without actually sending me anything I ordered.

4. Mike claims that sexy coral does not offer refunds. He indicates that website sexycorals.com states no refund on special orders. I viewed his thread on R2R, I did not order anything from sexycorals.com and was in no part of the transaction ever made aware of such policy. In fact, had he directed me to his site to clarify refund policy, or indicated to me that once I pay, there is no recourse, then I would not have ordered. I believe all consumers should be made aware of any unusual refund policies at the time of purchase.

OP
OP
T

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am in the process of trying to dispute it with my credit card. Since Sexy Coral sent in the shipment for the dip confirmation to respond to the dispute. Right now my $3,000 is being held hostage and Mike refuses to resolve the situation. Yes $3,000 for some dip is pretty expensive stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and gentleman,

The staff here at r2r take our vendor feedback seriously. Due to the nature of this feedback communication will be between the OP and @sexycorals to fix the situation. Outside comments will not be allowed in this thread.

Thank you

George
Team R2R

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's 2 sides to a story...

I was in contact with the John the whole time. He knew the time it would take to cut and heal frags and he also asked for me to cut pieces from my private collection. After I had cut the corals a few days later he started to shoot me text almost daily about how he thinks wants to go to my house and view my coral and personally pick them. I explained to him that I do not feel comfortable with strangers going to my house. I have kids so he should understand. A few days after was when I got a text saying he wanted a refund.. I told him there are no refunds on special order or cut to orders. Then a few days later I get a text about him having aefw... I offered to help and even offered to send him Aefw med for free and let him use one of my large frag tanks so he can quarantine and dip... keep in mind we were still talking about the transaction he told me that I have 2 options.. one was to hold everything and ship or he can pick up after he fix the problem or get a refund. I told him I can hold as long as he needs me to. He agreed ...
then he again tured into another person.. and started demanding a refund. That Monday I already had the meds shipped to him and it was not till weds that I found out that he had already jump the gun and filed a chargeback. When I got back in town a few days later we contacted our bank and told them the situation and they said we are covered from chargeback because it clearly states on our site that we do not give refunds on cut to order corals. I have all text and records on the situation.

So I thought we were working out the transaction personally and out of nowhere he filed a chargeback so I just let paypal and the financial institution handle it after I received an email from my bank saying there has been a chargeback.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's 2 sides to a story...

I was in contact with the John the whole time. He knew the time it would take to cut and heal frags and he also asked for me to cut pieces from my private collection. After I had cut the corals a few days later he started to shoot me text almost daily about how he thinks wants to go to my house and view my coral and personally pick them. I explained to him that I do not feel comfortable with strangers going to my houses. I have kids family so he should understand. A few days after that is when I get a text saying he wanted a refund better.. I told him there are no refund on special order or cut to order stuff. Then a few days later I get the text about him having aefw... I offer to help and even offer to send him. Aefw med for free and a one of my large frag tank so he can quarantine and dip... keep in mine we were still talking about the transaction he told me that I have 2 option.. one was to hold everything and ship or he can pick up after he fix the problem or get a refund. I told him I can hold as long as he needs me to and that if he needs to i can offer him anytime whenever he is ready. He agreed ...

I told him i had AEFW. I told him i would prefer to just get a refund. I told him it's as if I just found out I got cancer and it's barely sinking in and I'm in shock about and don't even know what to do. I was soft on my stance about getting a refund, because just seemed so logical to me that a vendor would be understanding when a situation like this comes up, nothing had been shipped yet, to just simply refund. It wasn't as if I just changed my mind. I literally could not accept the order at that point because I had "acro cancer". If someone ordered a crate of cigarettes from a tobacco company, and found out that he had lung cancer, do you think the tobacco company would refuse this customer from cancelling his order? I get your policy of no cancellations - however, I did not order from your site. I ordered based on a post on R2R, no mention of no cancellation policy anywhere, no communication when I was ordering. If you are going to have a policy, you should include it where I make an agreement, i.e., order confirmation, etc. I did not sign anything that indicated that I agree to no cancellation/refunds. If I was made aware of this policy, I would have not ordered.

then he again turn into another person.. and started demanding a refund. That Monday I already had the meds shipped to him and it was not till weds that I found out that he had already jump the gun and filed a chargeback. When I got back on town a few days later we contact our bank and told them the situation and they said we are covered from chargeback because it clearly states on our site that we do not give refunds on cut to order corals. I have all text and records on the situation.

You did not get your money back because of your return policy. You clearly submitted the shipment confirmation for the dip as proof that you shipped me items to satisfy the dispute. Honestly Mike, you are okay with just taking someone's money? I did not receive any corals from you, yet I don't have my money. How is that a reasonable result? How can you conduct your business in this manner?

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do that on purpose like you assumed. .. here is proof I shipped the meds before I realize you filed a chargeback. I just explain to my bank what I shipped and what my policy was. We could have handled this but you chose to jump the gun and filed a chargeback and I just let the banks handle the situation. You did all this wheh you decided to file the chargeback.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, the shipment clearly indicates that you shipped out the item on 7/19. I filed the dispute on 7/18. Are you telling me that you chose to ship some dips with PRIORITY OVERNIGHT, the day AFTER I initiated a dispute. Please confirm that:

1. After learning that I had AEFW on 7/17, you decided to hold off on shipping the FWS, didn't ship on 7/18. Then on 7/19, you decided to use PRIORITY OVERNIGHT, to ship a bottle of liquid.
2. I initiated my dispute on 7/18, and actually Amex/Paypal already took the money on 7/18, and somehow you decided to ignore that and ship me a dip with PRIORITY OVERNIGHT a day later

Rl20lGd.png

OP
OP
T

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do that on purpose like you assumed. .. here is proof I shipped the meds before I realize you filed a chargeback. I just explain to my bank what I shipped and what my policy was. We could have handled this but you chose to jump the gun and filed a chargeback and I just let the banks handle the situation. You did all this wheh you decided to file the chargeback.

The resolution from AMEX clearly stated that the vendor claims they shipped the item which was received on 7/20. It is obvious that you use the shipment of the Flatworm Stop as the basis of responding to the claim. Please stop thinking I am stupid. Please recognize that you have taken my money and you need to return it.

Thank you

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am done here. I told my side of the story. My bank still has the funds on hold and investigating. And I already told you after all this I will still deliver your corals when you are done if they end up giving me back the money after the chargeback is done.

OP
OP
T

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you tell your bank to give me back my money and stop holding my money hostage. Why would I do business with a vendor who uses a shipment of FWS a day AFTER I initiated a dispute to try to defraud me of my money. You really want me to believe that you were not alerted to the fact that your paypal was missing $3,000 on 7/18.

Fact of the matter is, I filed a dispute on 7/18. Are you claiming that you did not notice $3,000 missing from your paypal - and on 7/19 decided to be a super stand up guy and ship me with PRIORITY overnight , when you are literally just down the street. You could have called me and said, "hey come to the shop, I have some dip for you to help you out." I literally live within 5 miles of your store. Somehow you decided the need to pay for priority overnight. And it became a convenient proof for shipment that you submitted to paypal.

OP
OP
T

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more point to add... If you were just shipping me coral dip out of the goodness of your heart, why did you send it priority overnight AND required signature? I order 1,000 worth of stuff from BRS and they don't ship with signature required.

Please help me understand why you shipped Coral dip and made it signature required?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and gentleman,

The staff here at r2r take our vendor feedback seriously. Due to the nature of this feedback communication will be between the OP and @sexycorals to fix the situation. Outside comments will not be allowed in this thread.

Thank you

George
Team R2R

I'm just going to post this again. Please adhere to this when posting.

Thank you!
Team R2R

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dear Members,

We don't take issues like this that has happened lightly and while we try to stay out of most situations there are some that must be addressed by R2R especially when large amounts of money are involved. It's hard trying to look through evidence and try to decide who is right and who is wrong especially in situations where both parties feel they are right. In this case we have sided with the buyer although I don't feel like the intent of Sexy Corals was to keep the buyers money without at least giving him the corals he ordered. I think Sexy Corals went about this all wrong and as a result their sponsorship has been suspended until further notice. Last correspondence with Sexy Corals says that they are going to send the refund. I hope we'll get a good report from the buyer soon.

Thank you for trusting in R2R and understanding the very hard position that we get put in from time to time. The rules that we have set in place are for the benefit of both the user and sponsor. It's not a perfect science but thank you for trusting that we are trying to do our very best to be fair and honest as a forum.

OP
OP
T

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for everyone's support. I honestly don't think Mike intended to defraud me from the onset. He was just trying to make a sale, but I think that he just has this unreasonable expectation that when a customer places an order where he has to cut some pieces, there is no scenario in which it makes sense to cancel the order.

During my due diligence I spoke to numerous vendors who indicated that many times customers do cancel, and that's just a cost of doing business. I believe poor policy, and not understanding that certain situation require exceptions started this all.

Being greedy about a 3,000 order then led to the mistake of trying to "save" the sale by the shipment. I do hope Mike sees what he did wrong that it is not okay to try to win a dispute by shipping a second shipment of products I did not order. He has contacted me and is doing what he can to untangle this mess. He is calling PayPal to try to retract his confirmation submission. I will let everyone know how it goes.

OP
OP
T

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update folks. Amex/Paypal "froze" the funds pending investigation. Mike has called but apparently they can't just unfreeze it even if the merchant calls. Initially I thought this was just an excuse, but he has reach into his own pocket and refunded me with his own money. Once the investigation completes, if he gets the money, then I'm already settled on my end. If I get the refund, I will return the money he just paid me.

Really appreciate that Mike has taken this step to rectify the situation.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back