Transfering to new tank question

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon nano tank that I have had running for a while now but I am starting to get concerned about the condition of the seals. One of the silicone edges has a rather large bubble in it. Because of this I am thinking of buying a fluval Evo tank to transfer into.
I have taken all of my corals out of the tank and moved them to my larger tank and now the only thing in the tank is my pair of clowns fish and snails which can't be moved because I have clowns in the other tank.
I was wondering if I keep the tank running until my new one arrives and then when it was here I moved all of the rock and filtration media across aswell as the water would that mean the tank would instantly support life meaning my clowns could move aswell?
I can't take them to my LFS to take care as they are shut.
Thanks

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I keep the tank running until my new one arrives and then when it was here I moved all of the rock and filtration media across aswell as the water would that mean the tank would instantly support life meaning my clowns could move aswell?
I can't take them to my LFS to take care as they are shut.
Thanks
Yes, that would be fine except I'd throw out the old dirty water. All beneficial bacteria reside in rocks, pipe and equipment so when you move everything to new tank, it'll be fine. Just ensure new tank water parameters (temp & salinity esp) match the old water

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that would be fine except I'd throw out the old dirty water. All beneficial bacteria reside in rocks, pipe and equipment so when you move everything to new tank, it'll be fine. Just ensure new tank water parameters (temp & salinity esp) match the old water
Great to hear. I always mix and heat my salt water before it's added to the tank so that should be good. Thanks for the help

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move some of the rock, and the filtration media over first. Then check for a cycle. The media should get it done quick. But if it is leaking you may not be able to wait. So check often for ammonia and do water changes often if needed. And don't forget to acclimate them for a bit into their new home. Good luck

Back