Transferring livestock to a new tank

jRatanak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a new nano tank during these weekend sales which I plan on using as a spot to separate out my softies and some LPS from my main system. I've had media sitting in the current system (a Nuvo 40 Fusion) that I plan to use in the new nano, and I'll be transferring the softies I have along with the rocks they've been living on into the new system as well with one of my fish. Should there be any risk of ammonia spikes, etc? Would it be a good idea to get a bottle of bacteria (Dr. Tims or something similar) to put in during the transfer, or should I go the safe route and just let the tank fully cycle ahead of time? The only reason I want to get it going sooner rather than later is that the fish I'll be putting in it has been living in an acclimation box for the time being, and I'd rather transfer while he's contained rather than trying to catch him later on. Any advice appreciated, thanks ahead of time! :)

Colinadam80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved from a 16g Biocube to an IM 30L

With the new tank I did new sand, caribsea life rock and 2 clowns for a week with a bottle of bacteria.
After a week moved over the rest of my livestock and corals with more bottled bacteria, no losses.

Good luck on the new tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back