Transferring

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of transferring my tank. I have already moved my corals into an established system and today is fish day! The set up they are transferring to has been running for a couple weeks. It has live rock in there from both old tank (5yr) and the newer system I moved my coral to (~5mos.). I’ve been dosing microbacter7. There is new sand in the new tank. Checking my plan here to make sure it is sound and if anyone has advice to add.

1) remove 50%+ of the water from the old tank without disrupting substrate
2) place removed water in new tank
3) remove live rock (slowly as to not disrupt substrate)- place good pieces in new tank.
4) pull fish out. Ideally burying wrasses first… if not- see where dive into substrate and assume there after other fish grabbed. fish first placed in buckets with old water. *fish could be netted and brought to new tank directly as alternative.
5) place fish in new system

The salinity of both systems are identical. The temp should be close to the same.

*all fish with exception of 4 bartletts are 3yr+ in system

2 damsels
1 coral beauty
1 falco hawk
1 gem tang
1 hippo tang
1 sailfin tang
1 yellow tang
1 achilles tang
1 purple tang
1 mandarin
1 scooter blenny
1 possum wrasse
1 rock fish
5 bartletts
1 blue star leopard wrasse
1 black leopard wrasse

1 red Serpent star
1 brittle star

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm, the system where you moved all your corals previously is the same system that you'll be moving the fish to as well? (assume it's just a larger tank)

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm, the system where you moved all your corals previously is the same system that you'll be moving the fish to as well? (assume it's just a larger tank)
Eventually they will all be in the same system again but I needed to transfer them so I can prep the area for the new tank (which is where the old tank was). As of now the fish are in a 150g and the corals are in a separate 3x 75g system. I originally planned to put the coral & fish together but had to go with 2 separate systems so I could keep my tangs together; I don’t want them to lose their bond. knock on wood but the move went great! Everyone made have eaten and appear to be doing well in their new home. Now it’s all about reinforcing my floor and getting a header in for my dream tank! (96x36x26)
49E56E45-43F7-4383-AE0E-B258DEF65D29.jpeg
E970BDCC-0646-49FB-881A-3225A70D9883.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back