Travel Anxiety? Do you have it and how do you remedy it?

Do you have travel anxiety when it comes to your saltwater reef aquarium?

• Yes

Votes: 279 53.6%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 168 32.2%
  • No

Votes: 68 13.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.2%

• Total voters

DrakeHeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a struggle for me too sometimes. To remedy it, I've found that doing a bit of research about my destination and planning some fun activities in advance helps ease my nerves. Also, taking deep breaths and reminding myself that new experiences can be awesome really helps!Speaking of anxiety, I've dealt with depression and anxiety myself.

kenjung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I automated everything up to 2 weeks including frozen food feeder, skimmer dump, various flake and pellet feeder. One time the auto skimmer dump pump turn on but wiring was faulty, the pump didn't turn on, my neighbor save the day preventing skimmate on the floor. I can't find a solution to auto clean the algae off display yet. I have 360 degree view from a camera, camera on the Skimmer cup, close up tank cameras and Apex to control from a distance. Almost no stress, still a little, it's the flight home that is stressful, can't do much during flight if something goes bad.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 2 year gap in a thread about going away...i guess covid was involved...
back up generator and friends that stop by to feed and check level of ato container...make a load of ro/di and salt water before i go in case i come back to a situation that requires an immediate water change...pull the socks and shutoff skimmer
(3)for my tank at the shop i made a duct from the window a/c over to the tank...weekend trip didnt leave the a/c on, tank overheated , lost all corals....was in N.C. when hurricane Sandy hit New York...didnt bother to come back till the power was on, the gas stations were open and there was food in the stores...so 2 weeks without power for the tank...

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I leave for extended periods of time my lfs owner, a marine biologist, comes in every 2 days to check the tank. I used to just wing it hoping the automation would work without a hitch. Trips are more relaxing now.

DrakeHeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a struggle for me too sometimes. To remedy it, I've found that doing a bit of research about my destination and planning some fun activities in advance helps ease my nerves. Also, taking deep breaths and reminding myself that new experiences can be awesome really helps!Speaking of anxiety, I've dealt with depression and anxiety myself.

Recently, I stumbled upon a great resource at https://fherehab.com/learning/intrusive-thoughts-management that has some helpful insights on managing intrusive thoughts. It's been quite beneficial in my journey towards better mental health.

JohnWiddick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend investing in a high-quality automatic feeder and perhaps even a water quality monitoring system with remote access. That way, you can keep tabs on your aquatic buddies while you're away. Knowing you have some level of control can alleviate a lot of the anxiety.
Now, to ease travel anxiety more generally, I find that planning some fun activities ahead of time helps shift my focus. Have you read the article The Best Amusement Parks in Every State? Places like Cedar Point in Ohio or Disneyland in California could offer a great way to get your mind off things. The article even mentions Schlitterbahn in Texas, which is a waterpark, so it kind of related to your reef hobby in a roundabout way!

Last edited:

kelseytcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's all about planning and preparation. I make lists, research my destination, and pack well in advance.

kelseytcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's all about planning and preparation. I make lists, research my destination, and pack well in advance.
Deep breathing exercises and mindfulness also help keep me calm. Plus, having a trusted travel buddy makes a huge difference. Remember, it's okay to feel anxious, but there are ways to manage it. Plus, having a trusted travel buddy makes a huge difference. Remember, it's okay to feel anxious, but there are ways to manage it. If anyone ever needs to talk about their travel anxiety or any kind of anxiety, there's always a therapy hotline you can reach out to for support.

karimstolen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your strategies for dealing with travel anxiety. Research and planning can definitely help alleviate those pre-trip nerves, and embracing new experiences is a great mindset to have.
If you're ever looking for an alternative way to relax or unwind, you might consider exploring options like Delta 9 THC Gummies. They could potentially provide some relief from anxiety.
It's great that you're open about your experiences with depression and anxiety. Sharing our challenges can help reduce stigma and provide support to others who may be going through similar situations.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back