Treating for ich but still spots, need help

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meredith I hope you're out there... So my fish are only supposed to have 2 more weeks in the qt and everything has been going really well until today. The 2 clowns have about 4 white spots on their body and what appears to be a wider spot or 2 on the edge of their bottom and tail fin. It's been a month since the formalin bath and ending the copper and 2 weeks since stopping the metro. I haven't seen a thing until today. Did I screw myself by setting up the coral/invert qt right next to them and transfer airborne ich or do I need another formalin bath? I am at a complete loss right now
Pics?

Perhaps lymph?

Spoke to soon I guess, but for me sticking my arm in various tanks was transferring parasites back and forth-- nets, too.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meredith I hope you're out there... So my fish are only supposed to have 2 more weeks in the qt and everything has been going really well until today. The 2 clowns have about 4 white spots on their body and what appears to be a wider spot or 2 on the edge of their bottom and tail fin. It's been a month since the formalin bath and ending the copper and 2 weeks since stopping the metro. I haven't seen a thing until today. Did I screw myself by setting up the coral/invert qt right next to them and transfer airborne ich or do I need another formalin bath? I am at a complete loss right now

The wider spot on the bottom and tail fin doesn't sound like ich. You definitely want to keep the coral QT away from the fish..... at least 10 feet. Can we get a picture?

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wider spot on the bottom and tail fin doesn't sound like ich. You definitely want to keep the coral QT away from the fish..... at least 10 feet. Can we get a picture?
The coral qt has been next to them for 2 or 3 weeks. I knew better than to do that but I'll move it asap. Anyway, I'll try to get a pic right now

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can slightly see it along the edge of the fin and in one of the pics you can see 2 of the spots on the body
IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white parts on the fins could be lympho or a bacterial infection setting in (possibly mild). The other very small dots on the body look to be a bit small for ich.... I would suggest waiting a day or two to see if they fall off, get bigger, or what.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white parts on the fins could be lympho or a bacterial infection setting in (possibly mild). The other very small dots on the body look to be a bit small for ich.... I would suggest waiting a day or two to see if they fall off, get bigger, or what.
Ok will do. I'll check back in. Thank you

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the few spots on the larger clown look exactly as they did before the formalin bath. They look more like white flakes or thorns. The smaller clown has a lot more spots and now white on the clear edges of his side fins also (please excuse my lack of technical terms). They appear to be protruding and are more noticeable at angles. Another round of formalin possibly? After the first time the female clown clear in a day or 2. I don't know what it is

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the few spots on the larger clown look exactly as they did before the formalin bath. They look more like white flakes or thorns. The smaller clown has a lot more spots and now white on the clear edges of his side fins also (please excuse my lack of technical terms). They appear to be protruding and are more noticeable at angles. Another round of formalin possibly? After the first time the female clown clear in a day or 2. I don't know what it is

Are they breathing heavy at all? Clamped fins? Lethargy? Appetite?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to quote...not sure if that's the only way to be notified of new posts

No, I would get a notification just by you replying to this thread. I was starting to think brook was the culprit here, but it's hard to decide that without the behavioral symptoms and a good picture.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I would get a notification just by you replying to this thread. I was starting to think brook was the culprit here, but it's hard to decide that without the behavioral symptoms and a good picture.
I'll try again tomorrow for some pics. If it was brook like you thought 4 weeks ago, would it be possible to come back now? I only did one formalin bath at that time because I thought it cleared up. I suppose another one or 2 would have been a good measure

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try again tomorrow for some pics. If it was brook like you thought 4 weeks ago, would it be possible to come back now? I only did one formalin bath at that time because I thought it cleared up. I suppose another one or 2 would have been a good measure

It's possible. With brook, you have to run the DT fallow (if applicable) OR sterilize the QT they are in before returning the fish back to it from the bath. Sometimes multiple baths and sterilizations are needed to completely clear the fish of brook. I still want to see new pictures of these guys though.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible. With brook, you have to run the DT fallow (if applicable) OR sterilize the QT they are in before returning the fish back to it from the bath. Sometimes multiple baths and sterilizations are needed to completely clear the fish of brook. I still want to see new pictures of these guys though.
Good thinking.

To the op, the good news is your fish will be free of all ailments and you got a pretty rough crash course in fish disease! You'll be able to teach everyone else with your experience, ha!

;)

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are 2 pics of the female clown. I'm trying to get a good one of the male who has a lot of this on him

IMG_5811.JPG

IMG_5810.JPG

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some more and good one of the male. I just saw the replies from this morning. They have been in the qt for 8-1/2 weeks now with the dt fallow. They had 4 weeks of cupramine followed by one formalin bath with a sterilized qt. After that, 2 weeks of metro dosed in the tank and feeding.

IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean.. you did everything right it seems, but they still look like they have brook... or possibly a bacterial infection. If it were me, I'd do the formalin bath again, sterilize QT, and treat again with metroplex but add in kanaplex and furan 2. This will address both probabilities. Be very careful to sterilize all the equipment carefully and dry them all completely. As little transfer from one container to another.

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds like a plan. I'll get started on it tomorrow night. I have everything except the furan 2 but I'll get it. Since one bath apparently didn't work last time should I follow up with additional baths just to be safe? Also, I used vinegar last time to sterilize, is that still good?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back