Treating Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium - Dinoflagellates.)

Anees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
While reading one of your great Article from Reefkeeping.com regarding treatment of Marine velvet.
I came to know that Aspartic acid is one of the treatment available to treat Amyloodinium - Dinoflagellates.
Currently we do have Dino X reef safe Aspartic acid available to treat Dinoflagellates and other marine algae in reef Aquarium.
My Question is, if Dino X treats Dinoflagellates. will Aspartic acid (Dino X) kill all strains of Dinoflagellates.
Thank you,

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
While reading one of your great Article from Reefkeeping.com regarding treatment of Marine velvet.
I came to know that Aspartic acid is one of the treatment available to treat Amyloodinium - Dinoflagellates.
Currently we do have Dino X reef safe Aspartic acid available to treat Dinoflagellates and other marine algae in reef Aquarium.
My Question is, if Dino X treats Dinoflagellates. will Aspartic acid (Dino X) kill all strains of Dinoflagellates.
Thank you,
Why do you think aspartic acid is whats in dino x? I have some at home and would love to dose it for dinos lol.

OP
OP
A

Anees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think aspartic acid is whats in dino x? I have some at home and would love to dose it for dinos lol.
I have (Fauna Marin - Dino X) at home its main ingredient is Aspartic Acid,
and its not about just knowing the chemical its about the right amount dosage required for that particular strain.
Anyway trying to get some answers that may help all of us one day to treat infestation in reef tank.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (Fauna Marin - Dino X) at home its main ingredient is Aspartic Acid,
and its not about just knowing the chemical its about the right amount dosage required for that particular strain.
Anyway trying to get some answers that may help all of us one day to treat infestation in reef tank.
I dont think so because ones a parasite and the other isn't as far as i know. You can try hydrogen peroxide, its effective agaisnt against parasites. But the standard treatment as you know is a quarantine tank. I once cured my clownfish with velvet by dipping him in about 1 liter of tank water and 5ml of 3% h202. He was in it for 5 minutes. Was back to normal in a few days. Its in my opinion that a fish would have a strong enough immune system to survive most diseases/parasites provided they wre fed well, not bullied, and have good water quality. If these 3 things are good (chemical, emotional and physiological) then the fish shouldn't have a problem with parasites. My clownfish was bullied by another clown, that imo is the cause of the severe conditon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think so because ones a parasite and the other isn't as far as i know. You can try hydrogen peroxide, its effective agaisnt against parasites. But the standard treatment as you know is a quarantine tank. I once cured my clownfish with velvet by dipping him in about 1 liter of tank water and 5ml of 3% h202. He was in it for 5 minutes. Was back to normal in a few days. Its in my opinion that a fish would have a strong enough immune system to survive most diseases/parasites provided they wre fed well, not bullied, and have good water quality. If these 3 things are good (chemical, emotional and physiological) then the fish shouldn't have a problem with parasites. My clownfish was bullied by another clown, that imo is the cause of the severe conditon.
Thanks for the feed back, I have done all this in my past 10years of my hobby all this works well when there is Ick ( Cryptocaryon ) which is a parasite. free swimmer life of 8hrs
but Marine velvet is (Amyloodinium ) which is a Dinoflagellate which can survive in water column finding host for 30+ days because they can photosynthesis as well. so its kind a hard to get all the fish out from jam pack SPS tank, and run fish less tank for two months.
All corals will bleach and die without nutrients produced by fish bio load

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used cupramine in a qt tank to treat. Sadly I didn't catch it in time to save my foxface and cleaner wrasse. I did however save my clown fish

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feed back, I have done all this in my past 10years of my hobby all this works well when there is Ick ( Cryptocaryon ) which is a parasite. free swimmer life of 8hrs
but Marine velvet is (Amyloodinium ) which is a Dinoflagellate which can survive in water column finding host for 30+ days because they can photosynthesis as well. so its kind a hard to get all the fish out from jam pack SPS tank, and run fish less tank for two months.
All corals will bleach and die without nutrients produced by fish bio load
Well if you want to experiment with dinox i dont think it will hurt anything provided you follow the instructions. Do you have a uv sterolizer? This seems to be a go to for most microscopic problems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back