Treating SPS like Bonsai Trees

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a while back a random frogspawn polyp came loose and landed directly on a purple stylo branch. It killed the stylo polyps closest to it and what was eventually left was a stark white spot. When a coworker asked me what would happen I said the stylo would grow flesh back over it and, more than likely, it would grow upwards into a new branch. Sure enough, that little white spot has grown into a nub and is heading upwards towards the light.

So this got me wondering if anyone plays around with coral growth patterns and manipulates them like a bonsai tree. What might be the best way to kill a very small area to stimulate growth like this? It's not like I'm going to purposely cut polyps off of euphyllia to make this happen.

Would it also be possible to use a slightly larger dead spot to try to graft a similar coral to the base piece? Maybe a purple stylo with a couple of green stylo branches.

I'm guessing for the most part we'd all agree that we wouldn't want to accidentally upset and kill an entire coral colony, but it still seems like an interesting concept.

mruggee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a neat concept, I’m newer to the sps game but once I get my feet wet it would be really good to try to shape a branching one

OP
OP
unchaotic

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a neat concept, I’m newer to the sps game but once I get my feet wet it would be really good to try to shape a branching one
The nub caused by that polyp sting is now spitting into 4 branches.

IMG_2470.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back