Treating Uronema in Empty Tank - Help!

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I recently picked up a trio of chromis and they all died due to Uronema. Although, I have no other fish living in the tank. I read online once it's in a system, it's difficult to remove. Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I do a 100% water change? Or will it die out on its own?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking down and sterilizing tank with bleach will be the only way to know you have 100% eradicated it.. it can survive in a fish less system.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking down and sterilizing tank with bleach will be the only way to know you have 100% eradicated it.. it can survive in a fish less system.
This is what I was afraid of. So dang frustrating. Is it safe to bleach rock? I feel bleach would penetrate the rock and get stuck in there? And would vinegar work instead of bleach since it's safer?

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once dry bleach only leaves behind some salts. Just let it dry thoroughly. Since you wont know if it's dry deep inside, unless giving it a long time, soak it after in freshwater and finish with a chlorine neutralizer if still worried.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once dry bleach only leaves behind some salts. Just let it dry thoroughly. Since you wont know if it's dry deep inside, unless giving it a long time, soak it after in freshwater and finish with a chlorine neutralizer if still worried.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. So you don't recommend bleaching then? I planned on letting it soak in fresh RODI water but want to make sure whatever I'm doing, I kill the parasite.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I was saying bleach isn't anything to worry about :) Either soak it real well, use chlorine neutralizer, or simply let it dry out good and you're covered :)

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine to bleach rock. I have done it many times.

This is my routine.

24 hours in a water/bleach mixture

Rinse it in fresh water.

Let it soak with prime for 24 hours.

Let is sit and air dry for a few days to a week.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, I was saying bleach isn't anything to worry about :) Either soak it real well, use chlorine neutralizer, or simply let it dry out good and you're covered :)

Its fine to bleach rock. I have done it many times.

This is my routine.

24 hours in a water/bleach mixture

Rinse it in fresh water.

Let it soak with prime for 24 hours.

Let is sit and air dry for a few days to a week.

Just an update:

I had another Chromis from my previous tank in a holding tank while new tank cycled. I moved the Chromis from his holding tank to the new "effected" tank a couple days and so far so good. If this Chromis lives for a week, does that mean the tank does not have Uronema running through it? Would it be safe and maybe what the other Chromis had was just a fluke?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back