Trick to removing XF250 star washer

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What am I doing wrong. These are such a nightmare to get out every time I clean it. I’ve absolutely managed them and they barely budge. And I’m not a weak guy.

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up to my own comment. I’ve had these for 2 years now. And every time I try to clean them it is a disaster. The star washers won’t come out without fighting with them for half an hour. Inevitably when I put them back together they sound like they’re GRINDING for about a week before they quiet down. I’m guessing it’s biofilm lubricating the magnet. None the less. I absolutely love the flow and the programming. The maintenance is becoming too much to handle though. What gives? Considering biting the bullet and switching to MP40’s and id really rather not

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? Is dunking the whole unit still intact in Citric acid for several hours the only way to clean these things without breaking them?

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? Is dunking the whole unit still intact in Citric acid for several hours the only way to clean these things without breaking them?
Hi Can you send an email to [email protected] We will send you the video of how to removing the shaft. The noise is probably because you did not install the shaft back properly.

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Can you send an email to [email protected] We will send you the video of how to removing the shaft. The noise is probably because you did not install the shaft back properly.

Done. The noise was very loud and audible from everywhere. Then after an hour or so it just stopped and the pump is 100% silent again. Odd. I’ve had them for about 18 months now

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to bang the opposite end of the impeller, thereby pushing the piece out the other end. I wrap up a towel and place on a hard surface, which reduces vibration and helps to not damage the impeller shaft.

U

User1

View Badges
Interesting thread. I've never removed the shaft or center pice. Is this a requirement and if so what is the frequency? Also, are you able to post the URL to the video? I'm curious now as I have a pair of XF250's that haven't had this done :)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. I've never removed the shaft or center pice. Is this a requirement and if so what is the frequency? Also, are you able to post the URL to the video? I'm curious now as I have a pair of XF250's that haven't had this done :)

Is like to know if this is essential maintenance too- I have an xf250 running for 18 months and I’ve never removed the impeller. Runs perfectly. First time I disassembled it for cleaning, it didn’t come out using the pencil trick in the video so I didn’t bother because I didn’t want to break the shaft in a new pump.

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, we have uploaded the methods of removing the shaft from motor block of Gyre 200 series onto dropbox, with the link as below:
Please kindly have a check.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- I’m not going to be hitting my $180 pumps with a 2x2 and a screwdriver...

did you guys redesign the xf300’s to make this step easier? I mean, lots of pumps on the market have an impeller that’s just pulls out

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- I’m not going to be hitting my $180 pumps with a 2x2 and a screwdriver...

did you guys redesign the xf300’s to make this step easier? I mean, lots of pumps on the market have an impeller that’s just pulls out
Hi, honestly speaking, sorry that Gyre 300 series is not much easier. Because it is very contradicted, and we can't make it too easy to loose, as we are afraid it might get loose during running, which is a bigger problem... Gyre 300 series is almost same hard as Gyre 200 series.

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to just do a 1 hr spin in an acid dip rather than continue trying to get the star washer out. I feel like a screw on star washer seems like it would work well rather than a friction based one

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back