Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 28 years of tenure writing software for a living I can confidently state that open architecture doesn't do much for the average person. Apex has a API. REST is good stuff but the average person doesn't know how JavaScript works, has no way to store the historical data and would have no idea what to do with it if the did. Likely get their iPad hacked if they fooled around with it. You can grab that data already with a packet sniffer if you really need it. The whole fusion gig is really not bad at all and simplifying the process of interrogating the data for 99.9% of their customers is a good thing.

I got you beat I started programming in 1975. I now mostly work cloud related stuff and yes it's open source, other than AWS. Open source is not for the average joe, it's for developers that want to spend their off time contributing to something they are interested in. Apex is klugey and not open. Again open source is not necessarily the same as open systems. Here were talking about well publish and tested APIs that vendors can hook their stuff up to with out the main vendor. This promotes the average joe to innovate and add products at a reasonable price point. Apex is in no ones imagination reasonably priced, because they are a closed system. Give me a rest API and I'll put together audrino products at a much cheaper price.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you beat I started programming in 1975. I now mostly work cloud related stuff and yes it's open source, other than AWS. Open source is not for the average joe, it's for developers that want to spend their off time contributing to something they are interested in. Apex is klugey and not open. Again open source is not necessarily the same as open systems. Here were talking about well publish and tested APIs that vendors can hook their stuff up to with out the main vendor. This promotes the average joe to innovate and add products at a reasonable price point. Apex is in no ones imagination reasonably priced, because they are a closed system. Give me a rest API and I'll put together audrino products at a much cheaper price.
No argument on the Audrino. Amazing little ecosphere. That said, if in fact they fully implement an IoT initiative wouldn't that be enough for most manufactures? To me it appears that the real issues with implementing a full blow open API come down to the profitability in leveraging the Fusion ecosystem (where we both know they have a significant investment) for new products vrs someone or a team who is agile enough (forgive the word) to quickly produce products and not have to deal with the overhead of maintenance on Fusion. If that was the business case then Fusion alone as a subscription model supporting Ajax / IoT and JQuery on top of would have worked well and been fairly simple and MUCH less costly to implement. They must spend a fortune between QA and project managers alone. Application defined DB fields on Azure would have been dead simple. But that isn't the goal as far as I can see. They are leveraging Fusion to bring hardware to market and leveraging our desire to have an effortless reef to ensure it happens (products to market not the effortless reef). Its just a different use case as far as I can see. Not good, not bad, just easy for the average Joe.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe the trident FAQ thread devolved because trident (terrance) stop posting in the thread. THE most frequent question in the FAQ is... when is this thing coming out??

Crickets...

He can prepare a whole MACNA presentation but cant take 10 minutes to list an update in the FAQ section?

I purchased an apex SPECIFALLY because of the impending trident. I think the apex is great, I also think that they have some of the most ravenous fan boys in the industry. If neptune sold apex underwear for $42 a pair I know several people that would be rocking the orange briefs every night while re-designing their control cabinets.

Which is fine, whatever floats your boat. But this whole notion that people can't express their unhappiness with neptune in this thread is ridiculous.
That was pretty funny for a 2 AM comment. I just asked my wife what she would think of Orange and Grey underwear. She is actively ignoring me.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Neptune. I talked with your reps at MACNA on this specific question but no one seem to have a good answer.

Based on a lot of user reviews for current Alk monitor systems, such as KH Guardian etc.. one big issue is keeping the tubing clean. clogging is an issue, but also algae growth and browning. It may affect the readings and sometimes out right blocking the tube if not cleaned every couple weeks.

is there a solution to this? your tubing size is slightly smaller than KH guardian

your Reps at MACNA suggested many good suggestions, wonder if there's any new solutions?

1. filter at the tubing entrance to prevent detritus from clogging
2. easy replacement tips. the current unit has the tubes all the way inside the unit it seems.
3. keep unit in dark areas
4. replace tubing every few months
Assuming they will be powered by a DOS would there be enough back preasure to cause a problem? I ask because I dont know and I have several DOS units that seem to just kick fluids out consistently (I recalibrate every 3-4 months with predictable results).

Last edited:

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No argument on the Audrino. Amazing little ecosphere. That said, if in fact they fully implement an IoT initiative wouldn't that be enough for most manufactures? To me it appears that the real issues with implementing a full blow open API come down to the profitability in leveraging the Fusion ecosystem (where we both know they have a significant investment) for new products vrs someone or a team who is agile enough (forgive the word) to quickly produce products and not have to deal with the overhead of maintenance on Fusion. If that was the business case then Fusion alone as a subscription model supporting Ajax / IoT and JQuery on top of would have worked well and been fairly simple and MUCH less costly to implement. They must spend a fortune between QA and project managers alone. Application defined DB fields on Azure would have been dead simple. But that isn't the goal as far as I can see. They are leveraging Fusion to bring hardware to market and leveraging our desire to have an effortless reef to ensure it happens (products to market not the effortless reef). Its just a different use case as far as I can see. Not good, not bad, just easy for the average Joe.

Are they Azure, I thought I tracked fusion down to some obscure cloud provider.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they Azure, I thought I tracked fusion down to some obscure cloud provider.
I dont know but azure is what I would have used. I have been specializing in high performance transactional software for years and am so sick of fooling around with infrastructure and crap SQL from devs who dont know what a stored proc is (or the ramifications of not just letting the DBA write the stuff for them) that I cant tell you. So I guess that Azure just came to mind considering the use case. Fusion could be running off a MySQL server someplace for all I know lol. There are so many JSON calls right off the bat its a little hard to hunt them all down but on a quick glance it looks like cloudflare is all over the response headers - so probably provisioned for CDN and using some of their security services. This is exactly what Im talking about though when it comes to devs writing SQL rather than the DBA doing it. A half a dozen calls that could have been one to a stored proc addressing an indexed view. Kids nowadays lol.

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow seriously? Lol it’s not coming out by end of year if that’s true . they’ll have em for atleast 3 months Before they release it . Glad I went with Kh Director until Trident came out . And it’s going on a year now since I’ve ordered that . Hey Neptune you guys falling behind competition buds get things rolling

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing, I'll have to think of something else to ask for at Christmas lol

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping by Christmas but it looks alot more like sometime in 2019 before we see it release

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
timing sounds about right.. Neptune would display a new product at an event and have it out in about a year.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow seriously? Lol it’s not coming out by end of year if that’s true . they’ll have em for atleast 3 months Before they release it . Glad I went with Kh Director until Trident came out . And it’s going on a year now since I’ve ordered that . Hey Neptune you guys falling behind competition buds get things rolling

Ive seen a distributor’s test unit going, so some people have them. Neptune is being highly secretive- makes em sign their life away. Tamper resistant screws, and then a seal that shows if it’s been opened. Neptune does recalls on all of them whenever they encounter an issue, fixes it, and sends them back, usually every 2-3 weeks.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen a distributor’s test unit going, so some people have them. Neptune is being highly secretive- makes em sign their life away. Tamper resistant screws, and then a seal that shows if it’s been opened. Neptune does recalls on all of them whenever they encounter an issue, fixes it, and sends them back, usually every 2-3 weeks.

That sounds encouraging. I don’t personally care how long it takes as long as it works reliably and conveniently once it’s released.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds encouraging. I don’t personally care how long it takes as long as it works reliably and conveniently once it’s released.
No kidding. What a disaster it would be for Neptune and many reefers if something happened like the Trident running alk up to 15 in a low nutrient tank. I'll be happy to wait and just stick with weekly testing till they are 100% sure the thing is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 144 61.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.1%
Back