Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for calling out your ignorance in your post, that somehow gets to name calling making me a jerk to point out the other incredibly viable option out there.

I didn’t realize this was a blind Neptune fanboy thread.
well, actually, it is supposed to be a Trident FAQ thread, not a 'GHL is the best' thread as you want to make it.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I previously posted, I've had lots of issues with Neptune stuff, but what makes me happy with their brand is their service.

I've had nothing but excellent customer service every single time I've had a problem.
I understand stuff breaks so it's all good

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree @daelie. I have an apex, 2 DOS/DDR, 2 Wav, COR20, water sensor and other Neptune things, does that mean I have to only say nice things in this thread. Name calling is so ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also a longtime Apex Classic user who upgraded to a 2016 Apex in anticipation of the Trident after attending MACNA -NOLA last year. This is supposed to be a frank discussion thread about the Trident... good, bad and ugly. Part of that discussion will undoubtedly involve comparisons to other available parameter monitoring systems, as it should, in an open and honest discussion. If one is looking to only extoll the virtues of Neptune, perhaps one should start a Neptune “fan club” thread.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also a longtime Apex Classic user who upgraded to a 2016 Apex in anticipation of the Trident after attending MACNA -NOLA last year. This is supposed to be a frank discussion thread about the Trident... good, bad and ugly. Part of that discussion will undoubtedly involve comparisons to other available parameter monitoring systems, as it should, in an open and honest discussion. If one is looking to only extoll the virtues of Neptune, perhaps one should start a Neptune “fan club” thread.
I disagree. This is supposed to be a Trident FAQ (as the thread title states), not a 'frank discussion thread'. Also, comparing to other available parameter monitoring systems isn't possible, as technically, there are none. Yes we have alk monitoring on the market, but no other automatic monitoring does all 3, yet, that I have heard of. So its comparing apples and oranges. Similar, for sure, but not the same.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at this rate, and in the spirit of MACNA - Las Vegas :p, I’ve got my money on GHL releasing their calcium monitor that’ll work with their KH Director before we get to see a working , production Trident. As a longtime Apex user, I hope I’m dead wrong on this one. :(

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at this rate, and in the spirit of MACNA - Las Vegas :p, I’ve got my money on GHL releasing their calcium monitor that’ll work with their KH Director before we get to see a working , production Trident. As a longtime Apex user, I hope I’m dead wrong on this one. :(
The Fact"s are, I too purchased a apex for that reason and after several issues and having recently installed a doser 2.1 from ghl I sold my apex and purchased a full GHL system and THATS A FACT JACK.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen in many places that the Trident will initially only monitor, and control to be added later. I'm hoping "control later" means it simply won't have a GUI Wizard to configure control. Will it at least store the most recent test results as a variable WE can use for our own programming?

ScooterV, I have seen this written too, and I don't know what people mean by it. From MACNA it is clear there will be 3 new inputs called Alk, Ca, and Mg by default. Given the structure of the APEX, I don't see why we simply cannot have outlets respond to the values of these inputs, like we do now with Temp and pH. At MACNA it seemed to store the values in the same way as those other inputs, and even graph them by default on the homepage of fusion. I have never heard anyone from Neptune say "control later" but maybe they did to someone else. But what would that mean?

Considering I have a 3rd party KHG monitor controlling my alk through the Apex, I can't imagine we could not set up the same system when the Trident is released.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue here is it's an "FAQ" thread. Or, at least it was titled as such. I doubt those posting, or asking questions, on an FAQ for the other options would appreciate a flood of "Buy an Apex, and you can get a Trident" either.

Than again, I'm not personally bothered, and eyeing up the other options myself. :)

But, I can understand why some are very irritated. Find a thread like "Which auto Alk monitor is best", not an FAQ specific to a product. Unless you really, really, love what you have and want to put in a plug for it, lol. This thread is now useless though, so might as well continue the argument. Someone will come along and soon and say they are all useless, we are lazy, just test it yourself twice a day :)

I STILL want to know if Trident tests are at least stored as a variable in the Apex I can reference in my own programming. If not, then I may be looking elsewhere as well. That's my own frequently asked question and have never received a response here, the Neptune forums, or Facebook.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ScooterV, I have seen this written too, and I don't know what people mean by it. From MACNA it is clear there will be 3 new inputs called Alk, Ca, and Mg by default. Given the structure of the APEX, I don't see why we simply cannot have outlets respond to the values of these inputs, like we do now with Temp and pH. At MACNA it seemed to store the values in the same way as those other inputs, and even graph them by default on the homepage of fusion. I have never heard anyone from Neptune say "control later" but maybe they did to someone else. But what would that mean?

Considering I have a 3rd party KHG monitor controlling my alk through the Apex, I can't imagine we could not set up the same system when the Trident is released.

Thanks ReefTeacher!! If you saw that, then I'm sure the variable will be there and my major concern :)

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so many people who dogging Neptune, saying Neptune sucks, saying Neptune is unreliable.. why are you in a Neptune thread then? Can you all just leave so that me and my fellow excited friends can discuss Neptune products without you clogging our threads?

You can’t control others but if you are bothered you surely can leave. And I like a good debate instead of an echo chamber

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t control others but if you are bothered you surely can leave. And I like a good debate instead of an echo chamber
I can't control others, for sure. Good debate is good, sure, but go create a thread for it (or join the many already out there). Quit clogging this "FAQ" thread with debate. This was supposed to be for FAQs. That is my problem (not the debate itself).

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys lets share your opinions and our experiences but dont force them on anyone.... Everyone has a voice and they can express theirs feelings.
Thread is name FAQ and here is the meaning of it according to online dictionary.

"a list of questions and answers relating to a particular subject, especially one giving basic information for users of a website."

Its not a thread either for or against. Its a thread where we all share our views. So please play nicely. No 2 people and minds are alike so we have to find middle grounds. Lets meet in middle without getting too personal.
Thank You

Last edited:

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open System is one which publishes an API and conforms to open standards, such USB or Restful interfaces. This allows independent companies to build their components to work seamlessly with the equipment. Sure we can hack a skimmer or light to work with Apex, but it's a hack and not a seamless experience and that doesn't make it an open system.
With 28 years of tenure writing software for a living I can confidently state that open architecture doesn't do much for the average person. Apex has a API. REST is good stuff but the average person doesn't know how JavaScript works, has no way to store the historical data and would have no idea what to do with it if the did. Likely get their iPad hacked if they fooled around with it. You can grab that data already with a packet sniffer if you really need it. The whole fusion gig is really not bad at all and simplifying the process of interrogating the data for 99.9% of their customers is a good thing.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously do not understand all the Neptune naysayers here, why are you so bitter? This isn’t politics, if you don’t like the product then why are you here posting negative nonsense? Why don’t you just sell it and buy a... there’s no other product that even compares!

The updates and software upgrades and not to mention the backwards compatibility of nearly all the Apex products is a big reason to love Apex. - Can you even imagine how much it must have cost to design/develop/create Apex Fusion? And they didn’t force that cost onto us, the hobbyist, they just ate it in order to create a better experience for there customers.

I run a Ca RX, so I for one love the idea that it will measure all 3. Sometimes my Magnesium gets depleted faster than my current Ca media can supply it, so here Neptune is again thinking about all there customers, not just one group.

Just the other week, the Apex saved me from potentially $1000’s of water damage when a pipe on my calcium reactor split. I was heading out of town the next morning for a week, sure enough, the ALD alerted me, I ran downstairs and was able to address the issue, and had it happened a day later when I was out of town, the ALD was programmed to turn of the Ca RX pump anyway. If I’d not had the Apex water would have leaked all over my basement, and then my wife would have shot me.

Personally, I’m really looking forward to the Trident, but it’s not the main reason I run an apex, it’s just another perk to the system when it does get released. - The thing is, I trust Neptune to develop a product with their customers best interests in mind and if that takes more time than initially intended so be it.

Just be patient guys... every time you test the water params, just imagine one day it will be a thing of the past, we won’t have to deal with test tubes, and little packets of colored powder and bottles of reagents... & what will we all do with our Hanna Checkers??? Haha
I'll still need my Hanna Checkers, to double check my Trident lol.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe the trident FAQ thread devolved because trident (terrance) stop posting in the thread. THE most frequent question in the FAQ is... when is this thing coming out??

Crickets...

He can prepare a whole MACNA presentation but cant take 10 minutes to list an update in the FAQ section?

I purchased an apex SPECIFALLY because of the impending trident. I think the apex is great, I also think that they have some of the most ravenous fan boys in the industry. If neptune sold apex underwear for $42 a pair I know several people that would be rocking the orange briefs every night while re-designing their control cabinets.

Which is fine, whatever floats your boat. But this whole notion that people can't express their unhappiness with neptune in this thread is ridiculous.

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Neptune. I talked with your reps at MACNA on this specific question but no one seem to have a good answer.

Based on a lot of user reviews for current Alk monitor systems, such as KH Guardian etc.. one big issue is keeping the tubing clean. clogging is an issue, but also algae growth and browning. It may affect the readings and sometimes out right blocking the tube if not cleaned every couple weeks.

is there a solution to this? your tubing size is slightly smaller than KH guardian

your Reps at MACNA suggested many good suggestions, wonder if there's any new solutions?

1. filter at the tubing entrance to prevent detritus from clogging
2. easy replacement tips. the current unit has the tubes all the way inside the unit it seems.
3. keep unit in dark areas
4. replace tubing every few months

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Neptune. I talked with your reps at MACNA on this specific question but no one seem to have a good answer.

Based on a lot of user reviews for current Alk monitor systems, such as KH Guardian etc.. one big issue is keeping the tubing clean. clogging is an issue, but also algae growth and browning. It may affect the readings and sometimes out right blocking the tube if not cleaned every couple weeks.

is there a solution to this? your tubing size is slightly smaller than KH guardian

your Reps at MACNA suggested many good suggestions, wonder if there's any new solutions?

1. filter at the tubing entrance to prevent detritus from clogging
2. easy replacement tips. the current unit has the tubes all the way inside the unit it seems.
3. keep unit in dark areas
4. replace tubing every few months
never had a problem with this with my alkatronic after 8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back