Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree
I don’t understand how one could be upset, or disappointed that the Trident isn’t released yet. One of the things I have come to learn about Neptune Systems over the years is that when they release a product, it’s done right, and ready for the consumer. They are a relatively small company in the grand scheme of our small hobby. If they were a giant conglomerate with millions and millions of dollars at their disposal to throw at Reaserch and Development maybe we would see faster releases.....

These guys started as home grown hobbyists, and developed a great business and boy have their products come a long way in the last 15 years.... Remember the guys behind Neptune want the Trident in our hands.... Think about it, what advantage is there to delay? Absolutely none. One they loose money and that is poor business, and more importantly I truly feel they are reefers and want us to enjoy this hobby we all share...

If they had a hard date, we would know it. Sounds like they are busting their butt to get the Trident out.

Lets face it, the Trident is a game changing device for us Reefers, especially those like myself that are heavily invested into SPS Dominant tanks. Alkalinity more so for me is the key parameter I watch. Apex integration with that number (dkh) combined with the endless programming features will take our hobby to the next level. I am super excited to be able to take Trident data and then write some code and control my Calcium Reactor!!!
Or prior to CaRx the DOS...

If Alk goes up, ph range in your CaRx shifts up. If alk goes down, lower ph in CaRx and melt your crushed coral at faster rate. This is all at our finger tips guys. It’s coming.

As far as I’m concerned, they are doing what they need to do. We won’t be disappointed....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a couple friends at the apex breakfast at macna this morning. I told them to interrogate.

and.... here is the official statement
40c13bb2c116f5d314d3ed12aabc3c62.jpg
And they are absolutely correct IMHO. There were multiple difficulties with another product they released (perhaps) a bit too soon. Why would they (or you) want them to release a product tooo soon?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never wanted them to release it too soon, i just wanted them to release it around the time they said they were going to.

no big deal.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like such a waste. My DOS/DDR setup is inconsistent in dosing. Do I now need this to fix the instability DOS/DDR has introduced?

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never wanted them to release it too soon, i just wanted them to release it around the time they said they were going to.

no big deal.

This is exactly it for me. I don't want it before it's ready either. My expectations were set by the information released at last year's MACNA. I began to scheme and plan other purchases around what they said. If they would have said they didn't know when it was coming instead of in NSI members hands by first quarter of 2018 and to the general public by the second quarter I would not have a single beef. I manage a plant that builds complex robotic solutions, so trust me I know that you run into things in developing and debugging new products and processes. To miss by what is apparently now going to be at least a whole year tells me the original commitment was made before they were far enough along to be making commitments. Like I said before I will still buy it and I'm sure I will still love what I can do with it, but no longer will I be making any decisions based on a release date Neptune tells us something will be avaliable.

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand how one could be upset, or disappointed that the Trident isn’t released yet. One of the things I have come to learn about Neptune Systems over the years is that when they release a product, it’s done right, and ready for the consumer. They are a relatively small company in the grand scheme of our small hobby. If they were a giant conglomerate with millions and millions of dollars at their disposal to throw at Reaserch and Development maybe we would see faster releases.....

These guys started as home grown hobbyists, and developed a great business and boy have their products come a long way in the last 15 years.... Remember the guys behind Neptune want the Trident in our hands.... Think about it, what advantage is there to delay? Absolutely none. One they loose money and that is poor business, and more importantly I truly feel they are reefers and want us to enjoy this hobby we all share...

If they had a hard date, we would know it. Sounds like they are busting their butt to get the Trident out.

Lets face it, the Trident is a game changing device for us Reefers, especially those like myself that are heavily invested into SPS Dominant tanks. Alkalinity more so for me is the key parameter I watch. Apex integration with that number (dkh) combined with the endless programming features will take our hobby to the next level. I am super excited to be able to take Trident data and then write some code and control my Calcium Reactor!!!
Or prior to CaRx the DOS...

If Alk goes up, ph range in your CaRx shifts up. If alk goes down, lower ph in CaRx and melt your crushed coral at faster rate. This is all at our finger tips guys. It’s coming.

As far as I’m concerned, they are doing what they need to do. We won’t be disappointed....

Lol what? Did you think the release of the new apex went well? There are threads and threads that prove the exact opposite of your first paragraph.

There’s nothing game changing about the trident. They’re already a year behind the competition because they bit off more than they could chew by adding magnesium and calcium which look fine on paper, but with all the balanced additives these days, it’s becoming a non issue to test for these. So they’re behind the competition for two gimmick tests.

molinast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At reefpalooza, the apex gang had mentioned the delays have been around sourcing a reliable manufacturer. The system itself is ready and will make it out some time for the 3rd qtr, fall. I am anxious for some kind of new update because doing these tests by hand are a chore and “I’m lazy”... haha

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just funny how people think that some how along the way apex decided "yeah, this is important, let's make sure we do it right".

As if most products are put on the market that don't work right. Sure there are hiccups but if a product launch was 9 months delayed at the place where I work, I can assure you heads would roll.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I seriously do not understand all the Neptune naysayers here, why are you so bitter? This isn’t politics, if you don’t like the product then why are you here posting negative nonsense? Why don’t you just sell it and buy a... there’s no other product that even compares!

The updates and software upgrades and not to mention the backwards compatibility of nearly all the Apex products is a big reason to love Apex. - Can you even imagine how much it must have cost to design/develop/create Apex Fusion? And they didn’t force that cost onto us, the hobbyist, they just ate it in order to create a better experience for there customers.

I run a Ca RX, so I for one love the idea that it will measure all 3. Sometimes my Magnesium gets depleted faster than my current Ca media can supply it, so here Neptune is again thinking about all there customers, not just one group.

Just the other week, the Apex saved me from potentially $1000’s of water damage when a pipe on my calcium reactor split. I was heading out of town the next morning for a week, sure enough, the ALD alerted me, I ran downstairs and was able to address the issue, and had it happened a day later when I was out of town, the ALD was programmed to turn of the Ca RX pump anyway. If I’d not had the Apex water would have leaked all over my basement, and then my wife would have shot me.

Personally, I’m really looking forward to the Trident, but it’s not the main reason I run an apex, it’s just another perk to the system when it does get released. - The thing is, I trust Neptune to develop a product with their customers best interests in mind and if that takes more time than initially intended so be it.

Just be patient guys... every time you test the water params, just imagine one day it will be a thing of the past, we won’t have to deal with test tubes, and little packets of colored powder and bottles of reagents... & what will we all do with our Hanna Checkers??? Haha

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t get the bashing either.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am one of these naive people unfortunatly. I had no controller and was talked out of a GHL for an Apex 2016. I really second guessed the decision based on issues that were going on but hung in there. A year ago I became excited again feeling that I made the right choice, but to be honest after 12 months that has fizzled. I have a good controller, and I will buy the trident relatively shortly after it comes out, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terribly disappointed. I won't change because of the money I have sunk in the Apex (4xEB832s, WXM, ATK, PM1 with probes, a pair of BOBs, a pair of DOS units, a pair of WAVs, VDM...) and when asked I let people know it is a good controller overall and people will be happy with it because it does its job. However I am no longer the Apex fanboy trying to convince people it is the way to go, and that really is because of the dispointment in the let down related to this product release.
Look at what happened to another controller that wasnt ready and still came out promising and not delivering....
I bought the 2016 apex right when it came out and paid the price with endless bugs. Like you, cant wait to stop swirling glass tubes and second guessing color changes in tests, but Neptune has learned their lesson as they cant make another mistake like the problematic new system launch two years ago. If it aint ready, they wont release it.

I know others that own GHL, that grass aint greener either. There are many issues that set that system back as well. When the trident comes out though it should be a real game changer in the way we reef.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously do not understand all the Neptune naysayers here, why are you so bitter? This isn’t politics, if you don’t like the product then why are you here posting negative nonsense? Why don’t you just sell it and buy a... there’s no other product that even compares!

The updates and software upgrades and not to mention the backwards compatibility of nearly all the Apex products is a big reason to love Apex. - Can you even imagine how much it must have cost to design/develop/create Apex Fusion? And they didn’t force that cost onto us, the hobbyist, they just ate it in order to create a better experience for there customers.

I run a Ca RX, so I for one love the idea that it will measure all 3. Sometimes my Magnesium gets depleted faster than my current Ca media can supply it, so here Neptune is again thinking about all there customers, not just one group.

Just the other week, the Apex saved me from potentially $1000’s of water damage when a pipe on my calcium reactor split. I was heading out of town the next morning for a week, sure enough, the ALD alerted me, I ran downstairs and was able to address the issue, and had it happened a day later when I was out of town, the ALD was programmed to turn of the Ca RX pump anyway. If I’d not had the Apex water would have leaked all over my basement, and then my wife would have shot me.

Personally, I’m really looking forward to the Trident, but it’s not the main reason I run an apex, it’s just another perk to the system when it does get released. - The thing is, I trust Neptune to develop a product with their customers best interests in mind and if that takes more time than initially intended so be it.

Just be patient guys... every time you test the water params, just imagine one day it will be a thing of the past, we won’t have to deal with test tubes, and little packets of colored powder and bottles of reagents... & what will we all do with our Hanna Checkers??? Haha

It's a love/hate thing. I have everything neptune. The problem is this is like a throw back to the Macintosh days. Closed system closed standards. Buy our stuff or don't play. Apple almost failed, because other systems played nice with their competitors hardware and software. Any one could innovate on a PC. You wanted to add a cd player, dozens of choices. You wanted a selection of games thousands of choices.

Apex for the most part is a closed system. Eventually if the hobby ever gets big someone will take a lesson from open systems/open source and Neptune will be out of business. If I want to test just Alk, I should be able to buy a different product, plug and play.

Neptune takes a 1970s approach to systems. Their USB plug that isn't a USB plug, but a proprietary solution, is one example. They could of followed USB standards, created an open API and others could of easily hooked up.

Neptunes closed standard is just plain greed.

Last edited:

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pretty misinformed post. No product that even compares?

GHL has a comparable and arguably better, more reliable controller, and already have an alk tester that doesn’t even require their controller, that has been on the market longer. All of GHL product line is backwards compatible, not just “some.”

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a love/hate thing. I have everything neptune. The problem is this is like a throw back to the Macintosh days. Closed system closed standards. Buy our stuff or don't play. Apple almost failed, because other systems played nice with their competitors hardware and software. Any one could innovate on a PC. You wanted to add a cd player, dozens of choices. You wanted a selection of games thousands of choices.

Apex for the most part is a closed system. Eventually if the hobby ever gets big someone will take a lesson from open systems/open source and Neptune will be out of business. If I want to test just Alk, I should be able to buy a different product, plug and play.

Neptune takes a 1970s approach to systems. Their USB plug that isn't a USB plug, but a proprietary solution, is one example. They could of followed USB standards, created an open API and others could of easily hooked up.

Neptunes closed standard is just plain greed.
I don't think this is an accurate assessment or comparison.. Neptune doesn't not play nice with others. WXM works well with Ecotech products (except the pumps, which is an Ecotech limitation, not Neptune). Neptune has 0-10v ports. Their new IOTA initiative is already off to a seemingly good start (using that with a AI light on a 2nd tank). While they aren't Microsoft that allows for a ton of crapware ruin their experience with a completely open system, they seem to be willing to play nice with other companies by many accounts that I use (personally I control a Reef Octopus skimmer, Ecotech Radions, MP40s, Kessil light on refugium, and AI light on QT tank, all from 1 Apex - that doesn't sound like a closed system).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back