Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think it’s funny how everyone defends Neptune to the death

How many of you like me updated there apex to the new one because in the second quarter the trident was coming out? Only to find out in the second quarter u can now buy the new apex brain? How many people bought an apex for the trident instead of selling there apex and getting a GHL? I know quite a few

And how many of u right now almost in the third quarter of the year can test any of the big three without a KHG and AIM or alktronic? One things for sure none of you are doing it with a trident that’s a fact.

My point tell me it’s going to take a year I get it you want to have the most exciting noise at MACNA that’s amazing don’t tell us it’s coming out when it’s not don’t tell me sell my classic apex to get top dollar for it because your not going to sell a brain and then when the trident is suposed to come out release the brain to us.

You guys are going to take Neptune’s side and that’s fine but I’m not I just want a little truth from a company that I have bought almost every one of there products you had nothing to gain by giving us the crap it will be out by the second quarter besides trying to switch the minds of people who were looking at GHL as an option. The last two or so years Neptune’s sales plan has been nothing but bashing Ecotech bashing tunze bashing all of there competitors and telling us tale tales of hope for us to buy there controller and that’s not what the company was before and they didn’t have to do that because they were the best and all they had to do was put out a product and we all New it was going to be good just like I’m sure the trident will be. I don’t need to hear in a video how much better your ato is then the tunze (the staple of ato’s forever) I don’t need to see a video about how the best powerheads in the market really aren’t silent or wireless. And I sure don’t need to keep being told the trident is close every quarter until it comes out. Your products sell themselves so stop treating us like we are children and by treating me a loyal customer this way I went out and got another alk monitor. So right now unlike you waiting for the trident I can test my alk with my apex. But ur right it doesn’t test calcium or magnesium well neither does yours and it prolly won’t until the next quarter
Maybe if you stopped acting like a child, they won't treat you like one? Oh wait, they aren't treating anyone like a child. You are just acting like an entitled 'customer' that thinks Neptune owes so much.

You went and bought another alk monitor? Good for you. That is Neptune's fault?

And my system tests all 3 just fine. Its called 'by hand', and until Trident is released, it will be just fine. Neptune isn't making me go buy anything until then, I choose to keep the status quo because it has worked for me all these years before.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be blunt, if you updated your controller based on the expected release of a new product you were being rather naive. There are hundreds of examples in retail of products that were promised but never delivered. Never get any product because of what it might be - get it because of what it is. Look at what all the people who bought the cerebra got!

As far as people supporting Neptune, controller support tends to be sowhat akin to religion for many. Again, looking at Vertex, there are still people supporting them despite the ongoing cerebra debacle. There are plenty of people willing to bash Neptune, too. Just look around.

If automated testing is that important to you, you have 2 options. Wait or sell your Apex and get another controller. At this point, it’s incredibly far-fetched to argue that automatic testing will make or break your tank, but if you truly think that then look at another system. My advice is to wait, though. You have a good controller, the Other systems that are out are still quite new, and no one knows how the Trident will compare. Let other people get the experience and then learn from that to make your decision.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys Neptune learned their lesson when the 2016 came out....rushing things will lead to failure. Obviously the Trident isnt ready for some reason, regardless of what the initial expectations were.

Anticipation is part of the game in sales and this is 100% normal. I think we have plenty of examples out there with equipment being rushed and failing right out the gate.

Guys that threaten to go GHL should indeed do so, and leave threads like these alone for really interested people. Somehow these always unhappy users never leave, hang there always complaining...

I cant wait for the trident...wxcited to know I wont be counting drops and trying to figure color changing in tiny glass tubes. Ive waited all these years, when it comes it will be very welcomed, making my hobby much more enjoyable.

This is not intended at anyone in particular BTW

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys Neptune learned their lesson when the 2016 came out....rushing things will lead to failure. Obviously the Trident isnt ready for some reason, regardless of what the initial expectations were.

Anticipation is part of the game in sales and this is 100% normal. I think we have plenty of examples out there with equipment being rushed and failing right out the gate.

Guys that threaten to go GHL should indeed do so, and leave threads like these alone for really interested people. Somehow these always unhappy users never leave, hang there always complaining...

I cant wait for the trident...wxcited to know I wont be counting drops and trying to figure color changing in tiny glass tubes. Ive waited all these years, when it comes it will be very welcomed, making my hobby much more enjoyable.

This is not intended at anyone in particular BTW
I have tje ghl alk monitor and the Apex cant wait for the trident!!

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence
I am interested in a technical response from APEX about what communication protocol is used between the controller and trident. TCP?UDP?RS232/485?
Is it possible to find this out from the technical department?

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence
I am interested in a technical response from APEX about what communication protocol is used between the controller and trident. TCP?UDP?RS232/485?
Is it possible to find this out from the technical department?
None of the above. It’s modbus transferred via can, and is well documented if you look hard enough

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have tje ghl alk monitor and the Apex cant wait for the trident!!
Actually I’d consider the trident The fact that they are marketing it as monitoring 3 things seems ridiculous.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have given us an update. The said it’s in manufacturing phase and they working as fast as possible to get it into the hands of NSI and then to public. Terrance from Neptune Systems said this in a recent video on Facebook.

If it was ready, we would know.... let them get it right....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They have given us an update. The said it’s in manufacturing phase and they working as fast as possible to get it into the hands of NSI and then to public. Terrance from Neptune Systems said this in a recent video on Facebook.

If it was ready, we would know.... let them get it right....

Agreed - let them get it right. Before they market it to hundreds (thousands?) of people. But - yeah - give them the benefit of the doubt. The tanks involved probably are in the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars - but yeah - let them get it right.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so... just to beat the dead horse.. it IS? coming to NSI folks soon?

it's funny because they have not said much about it in their MACNA press packages.

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I'd ask BRS if they had an update for...and their response was:

"Hey there! Unfortunately we still do not have any update on the release. We are hoping for Black Friday or Christmas time!"

I'm already imagining BRS sending out an email that they're in stock on Black Friday...and them selling out instantly. ;Nailbiting

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple friends at the apex breakfast at macna this morning. I told them to interrogate.

and.... here is the official statement
40c13bb2c116f5d314d3ed12aabc3c62.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No time frame given. He says they are close but doesn’t want to give a date. He (Terrance) spoke about several hurdles they have encountered and surpassed while testing and developing. Sounds like they want to get it right, can’t fault them for this. We are talking potentially thousands of these things out there all expected to operate as intended.

A bit more patience...

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be blunt, if you updated your controller based on the expected release of a new product you were being rather naive. There are hundreds of examples in retail of products that were promised but never delivered. Never get any product because of what it might be - get it because of what it is. Look at what all the people who bought the cerebra got!

As far as people supporting Neptune, controller support tends to be sowhat akin to religion for many. Again, looking at Vertex, there are still people supporting them despite the ongoing cerebra debacle. There are plenty of people willing to bash Neptune, too. Just look around.

If automated testing is that important to you, you have 2 options. Wait or sell your Apex and get another controller. At this point, it’s incredibly far-fetched to argue that automatic testing will make or break your tank, but if you truly think that then look at another system. My advice is to wait, though. You have a good controller, the Other systems that are out are still quite new, and no one knows how the Trident will compare. Let other people get the experience and then learn from that to make your decision.

I am one of these naive people unfortunatly. I had no controller and was talked out of a GHL for an Apex 2016. I really second guessed the decision based on issues that were going on but hung in there. A year ago I became excited again feeling that I made the right choice, but to be honest after 12 months that has fizzled. I have a good controller, and I will buy the trident relatively shortly after it comes out, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terribly disappointed. I won't change because of the money I have sunk in the Apex (4xEB832s, WXM, ATK, PM1 with probes, a pair of BOBs, a pair of DOS units, a pair of WAVs, VDM...) and when asked I let people know it is a good controller overall and people will be happy with it because it does its job. However I am no longer the Apex fanboy trying to convince people it is the way to go, and that really is because of the dispointment in the let down related to this product release.

Last edited:

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand how one could be upset, or disappointed that the Trident isn’t released yet. One of the things I have come to learn about Neptune Systems over the years is that when they release a product, it’s done right, and ready for the consumer. They are a relatively small company in the grand scheme of our small hobby. If they were a giant conglomerate with millions and millions of dollars at their disposal to throw at Reaserch and Development maybe we would see faster releases.....

These guys started as home grown hobbyists, and developed a great business and boy have their products come a long way in the last 15 years.... Remember the guys behind Neptune want the Trident in our hands.... Think about it, what advantage is there to delay? Absolutely none. One they loose money and that is poor business, and more importantly I truly feel they are reefers and want us to enjoy this hobby we all share...

If they had a hard date, we would know it. Sounds like they are busting their butt to get the Trident out.

Lets face it, the Trident is a game changing device for us Reefers, especially those like myself that are heavily invested into SPS Dominant tanks. Alkalinity more so for me is the key parameter I watch. Apex integration with that number (dkh) combined with the endless programming features will take our hobby to the next level. I am super excited to be able to take Trident data and then write some code and control my Calcium Reactor!!!
Or prior to CaRx the DOS...

If Alk goes up, ph range in your CaRx shifts up. If alk goes down, lower ph in CaRx and melt your crushed coral at faster rate. This is all at our finger tips guys. It’s coming.

As far as I’m concerned, they are doing what they need to do. We won’t be disappointed....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back