Trident - Hands on

HMpops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
this is a great discussion! thanks to suncrestreef for starting it... i have a few questions
1) how tell the when the trident control dosing (TCD) kick in, rather than the normal dosing amount?
2) how soon after testing does the TCD start?
3) does anyone know the actual rules TCD uses?
4) has anyone seen case of an actual +30% or -30% ?
4) if i am out of reagent does the TCD stop and revert to normal dosing?'

thanks that it for now.

Sorry, I can’t answer all of your questions specifically. Except, yes, you get notified (alert) when you run out of reagent and the system reverts back to your normal dosing.
What I can tell you is, and maybe someone can enlighten me where to find the logs, I see my DOS levels change. I have my Alk and Calc set to dose equally. However, they are adjusted (by Trident) Individually, accordingly.

F19F2FFA-2A1D-45E1-8567-AA04E0499A7E.png

Last edited:

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it take some time before the Trident records results? I set mine up today and it started the test at noon and cycled through Testing ALK then Testing CA/MG. Then it started over back to Testing ALK.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it take some time before the Trident records results? I set mine up today and it started the test at noon and cycled through Testing ALK then Testing CA/MG. Then it started over back to Testing ALK.

When you first set it up, the Trident goes through an initialization process which takes about 40 minutes. While it sounds like it's running a normal set of tests, it will not log any results from the initialization. It should record results from its first actual set of tests and display those numbers on the dashboard tile. When you click the tile, it will cycle through a set of different views including a graph view. The graphs will be blank after the first test because it needs at least two tests to draw the line graphs.

Also, if the test results are outside of Trident's limits, it will not show a result:

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 9.35.01 AM.png

Outside of this range, it will display "Bad ALK Range", etc. for each test. This feature requires at least version 5.05_AB19. See https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?28031-AOS-5-05_AB19-is-now-available! for full details.

HMpops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As SuncrestReef points out, click on the tile(s). Then the individual graphs...

Screenshot 2020-01-19 12.53.44.jpg

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you first set it up, the Trident goes through an initialization process which takes about 40 minutes. While it sounds like it's running a normal set of tests, it will not log any results from the initialization. It should record results from its first actual set of tests and display those numbers on the dashboard tile. When you click the tile, it will cycle through a set of different views including a graph view. The graphs will be blank after the first test because it needs at least two tests to draw the line graphs.

Also, if the test results are outside of Trident's limits, it will not show a result:

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 9.35.01 AM.png

Outside of this range, it will display "Bad ALK Range", etc. for each test. This feature requires at least version 5.05_AB19. See https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?28031-AOS-5-05_AB19-is-now-available! for full details.
As SuncrestReef points out, click on the tile(s). Then the individual graphs...

Screenshot 2020-01-19 12.53.44.jpg

Thank you very much! My first reading came back..

ALK: 5.71 YIKES!
CA: 416
MG: 1268

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you install ALK, CAL, MG reagents. X1. Calibration fluid can not be reused. You do not calibrate when installing 2nd ALK bottle.

So every time you start a new box. Asking because I just put in my second set of reagents, and Ca and Mg were out, Alk was at 35%, ended up swapping out all 3, but wondering if you have to ditch the remaining A reagent and recalibrate when you need to replace B and C.

HMpops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, going to have to run up to LFS. I don’t have any corals at this point. Just a bunch of live rock that has a good amount of coralline. I’m assuming it’s been lowering the alk?
I see..I assume, at this point, you're not dosing?

Yes, the Coralline Algae uses ALK, just like corals. It should also be using Cal and Mg.

HMpops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So every time you start a new box. Asking because I just put in my second set of reagents, and Ca and Mg were out, Alk was at 35%, ended up swapping out all 3, but wondering if you have to ditch the remaining A reagent and recalibrate when you need to replace B and C.
Yes, you need to recalibrate with the start of a new box. Yes, you need to throw out the remaining Reagent A.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my trident before opening it. Just not worth it in my opinion when you do daily 2-3 percent AWC and dose 2 part throughout the night. Granted my alkalinity seems stuck at 7.4, but coralline is growing so I guess it will be okay.

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing Trident Controlled dosing when your Alk,Ca, and Magnesium demands go up will it automatically adjust the dose or do you need to tell it to dose more?

MaxFlow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ca kept raising recently to get all the way to 479ppm. I tested with Hanna and the result came as 408ppm. I did not quite expect such a big spread. Has anybody else observe that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted about my Trident for quite a while. It's still chugging along nicely and helping to keep my tank stable. Here are my targets for Trident Controlled Dosing:

Alk: 8.20 dKH
Cal: 420 ppm
Mag: 1350 ppm

And here's my current Trident report:

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 9.27.15 PM.png

The graphs represent the past 7 days, and while they look like there's a lot of up and down swings, what's not apparent is the narrow range of the Y axis. Here are the actual ranges over 7 days:

Alk: 8.13 - 8.35 dKH
Cal: 402 - 427 ppm
Mag: 1345 - 1359 ppm

That's pretty darn stable!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back