Trident high calcium level

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Neptune trident for over a year now. I do like the idea of no more testing manually. However, it's not perfect. It's running perfectly for the first two months but suddenly the calcium level is out the wack. Constantly showing 500+ (my reagent is not near 20% and I did use hanna checker to verify that but it's 430 on the Hanna.) I was running this on my nano for 6 months. Then I upgrade to a 175g tank with sump. The calcium level is constantly higher on the trident about 60ppm. I wast so many calibration fluid trying to understand what's going on with it. I tried manually test one brand new calibration fluid using trident. The number is showing perfectly fine compared to the label. I also use the hanna checker to verify both. It's about the same. The weird thing is, once I put the sample line in my sump and do a test. The calcium level jumps up. I did talk to neptune customs service but they didn't give me any useful advice. They are just saying just follow the trend.

I use tropic marine Pro mix at 1.026. I also used the red sea blue bucket.

1. Even with a fresh mix of salt. The calcium on the trident is 60 ppm higher.

2. I also try to use a coffee filter to filter out all the particles in my tank water and did a test with that. No luck.

3. I also bought the 3D printed reagent guide. No luck.

What's the possible cause of this? It's bothering me so much. Thanks in advance.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The few times that I had high numbers like this was due to air in my tubing. At first I thought no way I could get air in my tubing because i too use that reagent guides, BUT upon closer inspection what I noticed was the line was slightly loose from where it connects to tonthe needle on top of the cap. It just loose enough to allow air to be drawn in and skew my data. Might want to check to make sure that those connections are tight.

OP
OP
dbq5anlxj

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The few times that I had high numbers like this was due to air in my tubing. At first I thought no way I could get air in my tubing because i too use that reagent guides, BUT upon closer inspection what I noticed was the line was slightly loose from where it connects to tonthe needle on top of the cap. It just loose enough to allow air to be drawn in and skew my data. Might want to check to make sure that those connections are tight.
Thanks for sharing your experince. In my case, it can't be air sucking in from the tube. I did use trident to manully test brand new calibration fluid the number is right on but once test the tank water calcium is off by 60ppm.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Thanks for sharing your experince. In my case, it can't be air sucking in from the tube. I did use trident to manully test brand new calibration fluid the number is right on but once test the tank water calcium is off by 60ppm.
Did you ever fix this issue

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issue High Calcium values, in the 700s...not sure what is going on...I stopped dosing and used the Hanna checker, tonight it is 557; Tropic Marin Pro Reef as well...

OP
OP
dbq5anlxj

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issue High Calcium values, in the 700s...not sure what is going on...I stopped dosing and used the Hanna checker, tonight it is 557; Tropic Marin Pro Reef as well...
Sorry to hear that. I stopped dosing CA for almost 7 months and my CA is still 460. I do auto water change 5800ml everyday.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many tests are left on the reagent bottle?
See the screen shot. I have been multiple water changes to try and bring the Calcium values down. Going to start dosing ALK, since the levels are dropping in the low 7s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210523-155716_APEX Fusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20210523-155716_APEX Fusion.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 39

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back