Trident Users Check Accuracy

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you after calibration of the Trident check to make sure the calibration is accurate. You can run a test using the calibration fluid as the water sample to be tested. You have to run a test but my corals are worth it .

Esojovlac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I recalibrated numbers are more in line with each other and feeling a lot more confident with what I got goin
I am dealing with about 2 dkh difference between my Hanna and trident.. it seems that the Hanna is more accurate? What did you do? My test are kind of all over but I just recalibrated again with the Neptune calibration solution

Upvote 0

Esojovlac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those calibrating your Tridents, make sure to put the calibration solution bottle at the same height that the end of the black tube is in your tank/sump. Also, route the black tubing the same way during the calibration, it does matter, believe it or not.
The Trident is more accurate than hanna. Shoot for consistency over accuracy though, and you will do great. You want flat lines on your alk, cal, and mg reading charts if possible.
Wait is this an actual thing? I thought it was just the length of the tubing that mattered? o_O
I am currently dealing with a 2dkh difference in alkalinity.. I have meersalz pro reef and even after calibrating my avg ALK per trident is 9 and 11 per Hanna.. this salt is supposed to be 7-8dkh at 35ppt!! -___-

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait is this an actual thing? I thought it was just the length of the tubing that mattered? o_O
I am currently dealing with a 2dkh difference in alkalinity.. I have meersalz pro reef and even after calibrating my avg ALK per trident is 9 and 11 per Hanna.. this salt is supposed to be 7-8dkh at 35ppt!! -___-
Yes, this is a thing. And the reason why so many are having issues with calibration.

Upvote 1

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Glad I could help.
Sorry. I know this is an old thread but I just got my trident this weekend. It's been running for 48 hours. Everything seems normal except my calcium. Calcium is reading 369 on the trident. Hanna checker is 450. Should I calibrate even if it's just one parameter that's seems off?

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I know this is an old thread but I just got my trident this weekend. It's been running for 48 hours. Everything seems normal except my calcium. Calcium is reading 369 on the trident. Hanna checker is 450. Should I calibrate even if it's just one parameter that's seems off?
I would double check the Hanna one first, and make sure to use distilled water for the C1 part. But if it still seems off by that much, you could always recalibrate if you want. Here are some vids for both testers.

Upvote 0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trusting Hanna checkers over the Trident seems beyond crazy to me. Not because a Trident is super accurate and reliable, but because Hanna checkers are notoriously trash. Especially the calcium and magnesium checkers.

I wish I could have the Trident test PO4 instead of magnesium to be honest. Magnesium is pointless.

Upvote 0

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check the Hanna one first, and make sure to use distilled water for the C1 part. But if it still seems off by that much, you could always recalibrate if you want. Here are some vids for both testers.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. My tank looks good. It's not completely impossible that my calcium is low. Magnesium seems to be reading correctly and alkalinity is at 8.4 where I always keep it so that leads me to believe that eather that particular reagent is bad or the hose might be in a bind. Or maybe my calcium is just low and I refuse to believe it lol. A reefer in denial.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127_110326_APEXFusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127_110326_APEXFusion.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. I appreciate it. My tank looks good. It's not completely impossible that my calcium is low. Magnesium seems to be reading correctly and alkalinity is at 8.4 where I always keep it so that leads me to believe that eather that particular reagent is bad or the hose might be in a bind. Or maybe my calcium is just low and I refuse to believe it lol. A reefer in denial.

Attachments

• 17011353386236847281163225182622.jpg
    17011353386236847281163225182622.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd, I’m having the same issue with my trident after I changed the testing fluid. I recalibrated twice and the calcium number is way off from my Salifert test kit and the api test kit. Trident reads 500 and the Salifert and api read 450.
not sure what’s going on. Maybe testing fluid ?

Upvote 0

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I test every week or so just to confirm the Trident is close. I calibrate with tank water.
As I have kalkwasser dosing on Trident guard rails, it's important to me.

It has gotten so my alk is never changed much from 8.3 to 8.5.

Upvote 0

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test every week or so just to confirm the Trident is close. I calibrate with tank water.
As I have kalkwasser dosing on Trident guard rails, it's important to me.

It has gotten so my alk is never changed much from 8.3 to 8.5.
So you calibrate the trident with tank water? How do you know the values of the tank water are accurate ?

Upvote 0

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you calibrate the trident with tank water? How do you know the values of the tank water are accurate ?
I should add, I'm more concerned about stability than the actual number. I don't really care if it's 8.7 or 9.7 as long as it's always the same value.

Upvote 0

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't really. You are trusting whatever other test kit you are using to be accurate over the calibration of the insturment. People get crazy when different testing kits/devices give different numbers (though they kind of all never actually match), so this makes people feel like the numbers are the same across different platforms.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back