Trident Users is it a nice tool to have?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these guys I test my Alk nightly with a Hanna checker just want to hear some feedback about them. Thanks

Henryb9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely worth it, it also auto doses the parameters, if you have it hooked up with the DOS. I had it for a while now, keeps the parameters very stable.

U

User1

View Badges
I want one but there so expensive, hopefully in a couple years I saved up enough for one

There are corals that cost more than the Trident. Really.

OP - open ended question and there are a lot of possible answers. If you test daily and have an Apex already then it would make sense to buy one. It would save you a bit of time and you would get more test results by including Ca and Mg. Not sure if that is important to you or not, but it is what is going to happen. It would also allow you to test at a minimum 4/2/2 - 4 alk, 2 ca, 2 mg a day. So now you have more sample points.

If you don't have a Apex controller but considering one then this would be on the pro side of the list. To include Trident assisted dosing. Seems again like a win win. On the other hand you could reduce your manual tests to say once a week if the numbers are trending to what you want and save time and money that way also. People have been running successful tanks without automated testing for years - it isn't going to make it or break it.

It honestly is a matter of convince at the end of the day. Is it a good product? Yes, without a doubt they did a great job with the product. Some people do not like reagents but they have been around since the beginning of this hobby and they work. Reliable. I've compared my results with my manual and ATI icp's with similar results.

So for me it is a nice tool, saves me time, and since I already had an Apex it was an easy decision to make.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are corals that cost more than the Trident. Really.

OP - open ended question and there are a lot of possible answers. If you test daily and have an Apex already then it would make sense to buy one. It would save you a bit of time and you would get more test results by including Ca and Mg. Not sure if that is important to you or not, but it is what is going to happen. It would also allow you to test at a minimum 4/2/2 - 4 alk, 2 ca, 2 mg a day. So now you have more sample points.

If you don't have a Apex controller but considering one then this would be on the pro side of the list. To include Trident assisted dosing. Seems again like a win win. On the other hand you could reduce your manual tests to say once a week if the numbers are trending to what you want and save time and money that way also. People have been running successful tanks without automated testing for years - it isn't going to make it or break it.

It honestly is a matter of convince at the end of the day. Is it a good product? Yes, without a doubt they did a great job with the product. Some people do not like reagents but they have been around since the beginning of this hobby and they work. Reliable. I've compared my results with my manual and ATI icp's with similar results.

So for me it is a nice tool, saves me time, and since I already had an Apex it was an easy decision to make.
I have the new apex, only thing I don’t have is the apex dose i have dosing pumps but man I think I’m gonna buy it.

U

User1

View Badges
I have the new apex, only thing I don’t have is the apex dose i have dosing pumps but man I think I’m gonna buy it.

Ok, since you already have the Apex looking at the possible automated kits out there today and tomorrow the Trident makes financial sense because you have the platform. This is my unbiased first answer. I own both Apex and Trident but trying to put the fair hat on :)

One thing to knowL

1. Reagents are "a" bit difficult due to Covid 19 and we can only get the 2 month kits. The 6 month kit is cheaper and that is what we all want. So just know today, tomorrow, and probably for a couple months you will be stuck with the 2 month kit until the world works though this train wreck and also Neptune. Safety first, right?

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, since you already have the Apex looking at the possible automated kits out there today and tomorrow the Trident makes financial sense because you have the platform. This is my unbiased first answer. I own both Apex and Trident but trying to put the fair hat on :)

One thing to knowL

1. Reagents are "a" bit difficult due to Covid 19 and we can only get the 2 month kits. The 6 month kit is cheaper and that is what we all want. So just know today, tomorrow, and probably for a couple months you will be stuck with the 2 month kit until the world works though this train wreck and also Neptune. Safety first, right?
I’ve been keeping an eye out for them and have been seeing for a while now that they only have 2 months in stock. Just purchased the unit

U

User1

View Badges
Just bought one!

Dang - you are fast! Took me a long time to find one in stock. Enjoy it - it is fun.

Note - on the reagent bit I noted above. There is a thread here somewhere. Maybe the FAQ or supply but anyway post in it if you can't find them. There are a lot of great users, and even those who don't, who have mad searching skills and find them. Just wanted to throw that out :D

Welcome to the club.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang - you are fast! Took me a long time to find one in stock. Enjoy it - it is fun.

Note - on the reagent bit I noted above. There is a thread here somewhere. Maybe the FAQ or supply but anyway post in it if you can't find them. There are a lot of great users, and even those who don't, who have mad searching skills and find them. Just wanted to throw that out :D

Welcome to the club.
Thank you for the info!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, it’s just meh. You don’t really need it if you’re home to test. Mines been offline since December. I haven’t seen a big difference in coral growth and stability since it’s been offline. Honestly, I’d be fine without it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back