Trident Users is it a nice tool to have?

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, when I’m busy at work or on vacation, it’s a necessity.
I go out of town once a month for a week due to work so I’m hoping this is a nice addition.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention I was one of the first people to get their hands on a trident after it was released. I got mine in May last year.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one 2 weeks ago after having a apex for 1 week I knew I had to have a trident and yes its really nice to have now all I test is phosphate
That is all I’ll be testing now as well that’ll be nice

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, definitely! Peace of mind while you’re away is nice.
It’ll make it easier to go I’m starting to get into acros a ton more so monitoring these parameters away will give me piece of mind!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean guides?

A member on here sells 3D printed guides that keeps the needles straight, stops calc and mag drifting and gives more life out of the reagents. Not all people experience it but a lot do. There is another thread going on this issue

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A member on here sells 3D printed guides that keeps the needles straight, stops calc and mag drifting and gives more life out of the reagents. Not all people experience it but a lot do. There is another thread going on this issue
Okay will check that out as well! Thank you.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a snippet from my Trident thread:

One thing that's really interesting is how the frequent testing really reveals the extent of daily swings due to consumption. In the past I always tested alk each morning at 9am. If you only look at the Trident's daily 9am readings, it looks like things are pretty stable. But when you factor in the additional daily tests, you see how much fluctuation actually exists:

As the old saying goes...Ignorance is bliss. ;)

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll make it easier to go I’m starting to get into acros a ton more so monitoring these parameters away will give me piece of mind!
When you get it just keep in mind that the trident will read different numbers from the normal test kits like the Hanna from my Hanna, I set alk at 8.3 dkh. The trident read around 7.8. For calcium, I set it at 450 with api and the trident read 360. Mg was within 10 points from my salifert kit so I left it alone. So just remember to test and know the deviation the trident reads from your normal numbers. If it’s .5 dkh high on the trident, when you enter the auto dosing number, put in your normal number (say 8dkh) and subtract it by the .5 dkh. (You would type in 7.5dkh into the trident). This is so that the trident doesn’t jack your normal numbers up. Most reefers have preferred numbers where their tanks showed the best growth and don’t want them to change. That was a learning curve for me with the trident. Just a little tip to help you get set up ;)

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine set up to control my calcium reactor. My alk only deviates +\- 0.2 per day

How did you set yours up to so That? Feeding your calcium reactor with a Dos? I’m trying to get my alk swing tighter than .3.

Thanks

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you set yours up to so That? Feeding your calcium reactor with a Dos? I’m trying to get my alk swing tighter than .3.

Thanks
I have a Geo Calcium reactor running with a Kamoer pump. I have it pretty dialed in on its own such that if the CO2 is fed continuously my reactor pH does not drop below 6.75 which at this point is what my system requires.

I have the Trident setup to turn a virtual outlet on or off depending on the alkalinity measurement. Basically here is how I have it setup-

Virtual outlet called CaRx Max:
Set ON
If Alkx16 > 8.19 Then OFF

Virtual Outlet called CaRx Limiter:
OSC 000:00/050:00/005:00 Then ON
If Output CaRx_Maximum = ON Then OFF

Physical Outlet called CO2 Doser:
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If pHCaRx < 6.55 Then OFF
If Output CaRx_Limiter = ON Then OFF
If pH_DT < 7.70 Then OFF
If Output Kamoer_Pump = OFF Then OFF
If Output GEO_Pump = OFF Then OFF

Basically the way it works, if my Alkalinity is above my set point of 8.19 the CaRx is throttled by the Limiter virtual outlet. It will oscillate off for 50 min and on 5 min per hour. (My system is currently low demand so these settings work, but can be adjusted depending on demand as needed). Essentially when this virtual outlet is on, it turns off the CO2 delivery to the system.

If My Alkalinity is below the 8.19 threshold, the CaRx Max outlet will turn on and continue dosing CO2 until the next alkalinity check and act accordingly depending on new level.

You can see in the physical outlet controlling my CO2 solenoid that I have some safety lines in case the CaRx pH drops too low or the display pH is too low. I also have lines to shut it off when the doser pump and recirculation pump are off for maintenance.

This has worked out great for me even when my system was using high alkalinity. Its currently recovering from a dino wipeout and my small frags are not demanding much yet. I was also able to get rid of the DOS and supplementing 2 part using this method which for me is a better solution.

You can see here how my system behaves through out the day (the slight spike of Alk to 8.45 was due to a water change, otherwise it doesn't get higher than .38):

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 10.01.57 AM.png

Here's how the pH in the Ca Rx behaves- you can see the max versus throttle behavior.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 9.59.18 AM.png

Hope this helps.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way fancier than me. I have all the same equipment and am using kalk with the ca reactor to smooth out the dips in the pm. Haven’t decided if it’s better or worse to use trident controlled dosing on the kalk to keep my alk between 9.3-9.5.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She arrived today, didn’t realize the size of this thing lol

A01A2ECB-A626-49EF-9276-82ECB2A3389D.jpeg

Last edited:

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, it’s just meh. You don’t really need it if you’re home to test. Mines been offline since December. I haven’t seen a big difference in coral growth and stability since it’s been offline. Honestly, I’d be fine without it.
Sell it to me then lol

Back