Trident Users is it a nice tool to have?

U

User1

View Badges
Took me a sec to figure out C19, thought it was a firmware release, Doh!
Doesn't help that they are located in Cali where they were deemed not essential. So many businesses got screwed over in that state it isn't funny.

My bad - sorry! I guess I didn't think of that. I'm such a dork.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice, but not exempt from flaws. Mine has been up and running for 2mi and I'd say that it hasn't done much for me but give me piece of mind.

The good:
1. Nice to be able to spend less time testing, but if your tank has been up and running for a while you probably have it down anyways.
2. You can't get any easier for changing and repriming the lines, just run the replace reagent task.
3. It's a miracle that this tiny intake line hasn't gotten clogged yet.

The bad:
1. Reagents are difficult to find and you'll never find the 6mo kits which seems to just be a marketing gimmick.
2. Reagents don't always run out evenly during normal testing leaving you to toss several days worth of tests because there is no way to replace B and C without doing A.
3. My biggest pet peeve is this does not, let me repeat, does not stabilize dosing according to your desired levels when using their DOS system. I run triton and have alk set to 8.0 and it recently dosed up to 8.4. what the heck? (I like how my acronym is modified and expanded automagically). I end up having to turn my dosing off for several hours to stabilize when it goes haywire.
4. Once it gets down to 6 tests left it seems to stop, that's 3 days down the drain.
5. When it claims that it's out, it just flashes on the dashboard. One would think it would send a message automatically, guess you have to figure that out yourself.

FYI, you can replace B and C without A. You have to do it manually as there isn't a Task for it. Change out B and click the settings(gear icon) on the Trident display and then select Trident at the bottom under the configure column. Then Prime your B line and hit send to Apex. Once the Apex is done priming the B line then choose Reset on the B line and send to Apex. Once that is done then repeat the steps for C.

Also, if you put this code in your email output then you will be notified of any troubles. You will need to put your specific Trident name where it says that in the code

If Error Tridentname Then ON

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Neptune ever opens up their communication API, i'll buy one immediately.

But I'm not buying any more propreitary reef control tools. Too many end up expensive paperweights.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there way to see a list of the test results rather than the graph in fusion?

U

User1

View Badges
Is there way to see a list of the test results rather than the graph in fusion?

There are the built in graphs. You can select day, days, and overlay each one. Or do you mean like a excel dump? If you are talking about something like an extract you can hit the local apex api for datalog and dump the data that way. Put into excel and see it, graph it, throw it into grafana, etc.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just have to say, after my first week with this thing, i will never run an SPS tank again without one. Its literally like having your finger on the pulse of your tank. This is a total game changer!

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want out of your system when making these decisions. All eggs in one basket or spread them out. Something I hope y'all won't experience is a dead module connected to the Apex. If you have dealt with one, you'd be skeptical about having everything managed by the Apex. I've had the Trident, have 2 Alkatronics, and a KH Guardian Pro and I personally rate them Alkatronic/Trident/KH Guardian Pro.

Trident is easier to setup than the others and has calcium/magnesium (but those can be tested really infrequently comparatively to dKH). I found the Trident more susceptible to bad readings than the Alkatronic/KH Guardian Pro. Any air bubbles can/will cause invalid test and potential to also correct based upon those incorrect measurements. Overall when I had the Trident, I just didn't feel comfortable allowing it to control based on what I saw from initial installation, etc.

Alkatronic has the best management of dKH out of the 3 at the cheapest price point (and when I say cheapest price point it literally is almost free if you search for the DIY formula). There also is a DIY reagent for KH Guardian. Alkatronic has some nice failsafes to prevent dKH from increasing out of your desired range. If you aren't technical, setup can cause you some grief. Noise used to be a major concern for the KH Guardian/Alkatronic, but those seem to have been resolved for both units.

Both KH Guardian Pro and Alkatronic you have the ability to fix them at home as well as do your routine maintenance. Nothing yet regarding the Trident.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back