leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic under the tank:

20190525_190530752_iOS.jpg
Is the measurements 10x8x5 (height x width x depth) inches?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never buy the new model, I work for a car co. and the rule is wait a year before getting the new model. Bugs get worked out, materials/parts get changed or altered during that first year. My biggest question regarding Trident is WHY IS A LOANER BEING DISCUSSED AT THIS POINT? its sounding like it will be tough to service.....and will take a long time for the turnaround, otherwise that verbiage should have never been brought up so early in the launch.....Maybe they just got ahead of themselves like the project itself.......Fake it till you make it

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never buy the new model, I work for a car co. and the rule is wait a year before getting the new model. Bugs get worked out, materials/parts get changed or altered during that first year. My biggest question regarding Trident is WHY IS A LOANER BEING DISCUSSED AT THIS POINT? its sounding like it will be tough to service.....and will take a long time for the turnaround, otherwise that verbiage should have never been brought up so early in the launch.....Maybe they just got ahead of themselves like the project itself.......Fake it till you make it
Another reason for thinking about the Alkatronic.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a tough choice selecting any reef gear and I really think any of them will do their job as advertised otherwise they would not have lasted in THIS environment. If you dont need it today then slow down and Monitor the monitors ;) Best of luck......Did I mention I have a khd Im installing in the new tank? not because I think its the best, but because I think its the best to integrate with the GHL controller i will be using.:)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason for thinking about the Alkatronic.

If you run a calcium reactor you’ll definitely appreciate the Alkatronic. I actually had pre-paid for a Trident and wasn’t able to get one. Actually glad that I wasn’t able to get it actually now at this point.

Starting to see more and more people starting to experience issues etc.

Guess it’s go with the devil you know versus the devil you don’t.

Maybe one day I’ll get one, but for now I am going to use that money for more coral.

Only if the price of the Alkatronic dropped some then I’d just get another one of those when ready.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a tough choice selecting any reef gear and I really think any of them will do their job as advertised otherwise they would not have lasted in THIS environment. If you dont need it today then slow down and Monitor the monitors ;) Best of luck......Did I mention I have a khd Im installing in the new tank? not because I think its the best, but because I think its the best to integrate with the GHL controller i will be using.:)
Please let me know how it goes, I don’t have to have one but I have recently started seeing sps growth and alkalinity dropping.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run a calcium reactor you’ll definitely appreciate the Alkatronic. I actually had pre-paid for a Trident and wasn’t able to get one. Actually glad that I wasn’t able to get it actually now at this point.

Starting to see more and more people starting to experience issues etc.

Guess it’s go with the devil you know versus the devil you don’t.

Maybe one day I’ll get one, but for now I am going to use that money for more coral.

Only if the price of the Alkatronic dropped some then I’d just get another one of those when ready.
If pricing was 599-699 I would have already bought it.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If pricing was 599-699 I would have already bought it.

Yeah I think that is the price point that they will eventually have to move to. The unit is great, but with the prices of others being $300+ lower, it'll be a difficult decision for some to pull the trigger at the $900 price point - even with less expensive reagent.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think that is the price point that they will eventually have to move to. The unit is great, but with the prices of others being $300+ lower, it'll be a difficult decision for some to pull the trigger at the $900 price point - even with less expensive reagent.
I asked Alkatronic did they have any planned sales and they said it was up to the resellers.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Alkatronic did they have any planned sales and they said it was up to the resellers.

I know that CoralVue has had in it stock consistently since the Trident launch. It may have to do with the resellers, but the price they sell it to the reseller will have to drop. I am sure they do not want to take a lost on what they purchased them for. I'd imagine that a reseller may get about 20-30% off of the suggested retail price. They do not make much on equipment unless they are buying a ton of them; which isn't likely.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not really a loaner is it - more like how you swap CO2 cylinders rather than just having ‘yours’ refilled. Having looked inside my trident, replacing all the tubes does look maddeningly fiddly though. Might be worth doing the send in. A couple of years off though .....

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be intersted to know the real accuracy of all these testers in the market. Best way to test accuracy is by runninga static test which is:
Take 1 liter of your system water and place it in a bucket. Then have the tester test the kh or ca..etc of the water from the bucket 5 or 10 times consecutively.
The tests results should come all the same +- the true error margin of the equipment since water is the same and isolated from your system.

This test should show the reliability of the equipment and its accuracy.

My khg guardian clock a ~+-0.15 kh diffrence on 10 consecutive tests.

We should know the real accuracy of the equipment otherwise It can be scary changing dosing just because a tester showed a value unless we know the accuracy of the tester...

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a loaner is it - more like how you swap CO2 cylinders rather than just having ‘yours’ refilled. Having looked inside my trident, replacing all the tubes does look maddeningly fiddly though. Might be worth doing the send in. A couple of years off though .....
I get it, I would hate to get a unit from ???? god only knows what its seen especially if I had a system like yours.
Thats just me, I hate sending my newer cell phone in and getting someone else's referb. :mad: never know were its been:eek:

Best way to test accuracy is by running static test
I built automation and assembly machines and we did 100 cycle runs or a repeatability study, automation was a 24 hour run and if it stopped or faulted we had to start over after corrective actions.
Lets hope @BRS will be objective and run a similar test with all the offerings .

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be intersted to know the real accuracy of all these testers in the market. Best way to test accuracy is by runninga static test which is:
Take 1 liter of your system water and place it in a bucket. Then have the tester test the kh or ca..etc of the water from the bucket 5 or 10 times consecutively.
The tests results should come all the same +- the true error margin of the equipment since water is the same and isolated from your system.

This test should show the reliability of the equipment and its accuracy.

My khg guardian clock a ~+-0.15 kh diffrence on 10 consecutive tests.

We should know the real accuracy of the equipment otherwise It can be scary changing dosing just because a tester showed a value unless we know the accuracy of the tester...
The inventor of Alkatronic states theirs is 0.04.

6AD5CCB2-200C-468F-9E95-C5E395F69F6E.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it, I would hate to get a unit from ???? god only knows what its seen especially if I had a system like yours.
Thats just me, I hate sending my newer cell phone in and getting someone else's referb. :mad: never know were its been:eek:

I hear ya. Devil's always in the details, and details are in short supply. I don't imagine the swapped unit will be brand new LOL.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! If I select 3 tests per day, when would it do the 3 tests? I have narrowed it down to Alkatronic and Trident, but the Trident is impossible to find so leaning towards the Alkatronic.

It all depends really. There isn't a set time of day. The reason is say for instance your dKH drops below your range. The unit will dose and test again within 2 hours. With it doing so, it will slightly shift the testing intervals. I just am curretnly testing every 2 hours on mine so not really worry much about the actual schedule. Maybe this is something they can look to incorporate, but I have seen a need in my setup for it at this point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back