Trident vs Alkatronic vs KH Director vs kh guardian

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The khd is also very interesting to me considering the ion Director future release, I have went back and forth on this in a consideration to completely switch to ghl. I am waiting to see when the director sa will track results like the Profilux because I may start with just the director. How loud is the unit?
You can definitely hear it. In addition to the dosing heads, it has a small mixing pump inside the unit and that is the loudest part. It doesn't bother me sitting 6' away watching TV but I imagine some people wouldn't care for it.

I do understand your concern about the cost of a complete transition. We invest so much in these optional controller ecosystems that switching is painful.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely hear it. In addition to the dosing heads, it has a small mixing pump inside the unit and that is the loudest part. It doesn't bother me sitting 6' away watching TV but I imagine some people wouldn't care for it.

I do understand your concern about the cost of a complete transition. We invest so much in these optional controller ecosystems that switching is painful.
Can you pick which times you want testing?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot. You pick the first sample time you want each day and then tell it the number of times you want it to test. I do 3 tests daily so I get one in the morning before work, one is taken right before I leave work, and one is taken right before I go to bed.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to open ports to allow connectivity outside of your wifi to access the web app. Never tried it since I have mine hooked up to the apex.

So it does have an app AND WiFi connectivity? I was trying to read about it from the site and I thought I read it say it ‘doesn’t ‘have WiFi.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case that wasn't clear...
upload_2019-5-29_8-26-0.png

So you pick the number of times you measure and the time it is run, the other 2 tests are then equally spaced so with 3 measurements they are 8 hours apart. If I did 4 measurements they would be 6 hours apart.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the KH guardian if you don’t have a controller?

There doesn’t seem to be an app or anything to connect to it. How do you keep track of it’s results without a 3rd party controller?
The khg save results logs and plots in its internal memory. You can log it. When connecting directly to the khg.
You control or log your data via web interface.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it does have an app AND WiFi connectivity? I was trying to read about it from the site and I thought I read it say it ‘doesn’t ‘have WiFi.
No wifi. It has ethernet port that you can connect to your router or you can use a wifi adapter to add wifi to it. Similar to the apex classic if you remember.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the time, but you can select the testing intervals in hours (2-12 hours between testing). Heck with the Alkatronic and the inexpensive per test cost, I wouldn't test dKH any less that 6 times a day, minimum.
Thanks! My main concern with any of them is noise, so being able to set 3x day is ideal with times being 6 am, 2 pm, 10pm

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case that wasn't clear...
upload_2019-5-29_8-26-0.png

So you pick the number of times you measure and the time it is run, the other 2 tests are then equally spaced so with 3 measurements they are 8 hours apart. If I did 4 measurements they would be 6 hours apart.
So if I picked 3 tests, starting at 6am it would be 6,2,10. That would be ideal

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Crashjack I bet you didn't see my thread about the Alkatronic and the noise did you? Oh I let them have it bro. The noise is still an issue for me, but I do not think there is anything that can be done to my V1 unit to make it as silent as the newer V3 units.

Here are 2 threads that were started discussing the Alktronic and CaRx:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-honest-opinion-about-the-alkatronic.372934/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/geo-818-smc415-calcium-reactor-setup-for-my-240-reef.463228/

Now to the good part (I guess :D). I will say this first though, mostly everyone will say that the unit that they are currently using is the best unit available. If you had to ask me, I put them in this order:

1. Trident (solely because of being able to measure calcium/magnesium, but that is a totally different topic of discussion)
2. Alkatronic
3. KH Director
4. KH Guardian

Please keep in mind that this ranking above doesn't take into account anything related to total operational cost of the units and it is just my opinion, but if it were based upon dKH measurements alone, the Alkatronic is the all around winner. The reason I say it win on both is because:

Alkatronic Pros
1. You can do your own maintenance
2. You can test 24 times a day without any issue whatsoever
3. You can add the reagent back to your tank
4. You can buy the reagent in bulk and it'll last you over 14 months test every 6 hours (would last longer I'd imagine if you run into no re-test)
5. You can get notifications and see your historical measurements. I do not trust the info being sent to the Apex so them having their own web interface is great
6. Parts can be sourced outside of Alkatronic

Now here are the cons for the Alkatronic:
1. Older models are not quiet
2. Support to me is fine, but no where near the capacity of for instance Neptune Systems
3. Can be a little glitchy at times (nothing frequent on my end just stuff that I have read but you also have to consider the end-user error in any instance for any product)
4. Monthly pump calibration (just par for the course but listed anyways)

Hope that contributes.

Now, I have been using the Alkatronic for over 12 months. Throughout that time it has helped me tremendously with my system. The key word is "helped". I will say that no matter what unit you have, you CANNOT just hand over the keys to the kingdom and think that everything will be alright as long as your tester is maintaining your dKH/calcium/magnesium. There are still so many other things to do with your tank (even testing the "big 3" from time to time). I will say that having something that at a minimum measures dKH will be highly beneficial to any reefer. There is no way in this world I would have my system hooked up like it is currently WITHOUT something to measure dKH. Heck I am dosing 1260ml saturated kalk daily on top of running my calcium reactor and even then the Alkatronic still doses every once in a while when my tank is going through some growth spurts.

I have used a calcium reactor for 20+ years or anything like that just for the past year. Within that time, I do not see how you can just set your calcium reactor and no supplement it with something else (either kalk or 2-part) and maintain the dKH within a certain range during the crazy growth periods that coral go through. Specially when you are driving your pH higher and they are consuming more dKH at certain periods of the day. I keep an eye on my graphs for certain times during the day if my Alkatronic does dose around the same time and instead of messing with my CaRx, I adjust my kalk dosage at that particular time. This is where the Alkatronic shines in my situation. I was testing every hour while getting the kalk stirrer setup. It allowed me to adjust things where I wanted them. I still monitor it and will adjust if necessary.

If you add the Dosetronic to this mix, it'll do these things for me, but I am not that freaking lazy to observe a graph and make the adjustments from there. Maybe one day, but not now. Also doing this helps me stay in tune with what is going on in the tank.

Great info! I had a Ca reactor when in the hobby years ago and steered clear this go-round. However, I can see that multiple daily alk tests and the ability to use those readings to control dosers would eliminate some of the issues I had when using my old reactor.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info! I had a Ca reactor when in the hobby years ago and steered clear this go-round. However, I can see that multiple daily alk tests and the ability to use those readings to control dosers would eliminate some of the issues I had when using my old reactor.

Yes it will absolutely help with tuning a CaRx and any other dosing method as long as you pay attention to what is going on in your tank.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the link above but it doesnt explain the setup for calrx control ,can someone explain how???

If you are referring to how I have it setup, hope this helps. I have my Kamoer pump pulling from my CaRx 2nd chamber. The Kamoer pump is plugged into the Alkatronic BT adapter. My Alkatronic has a certain dKH range that I want to stay within. I have my Alkatronic in "Action Mode" which will either dose dKH or turn off the BT adapter. Once the dKH is above my range, the Alkatronic turns off the BT adapter which turns off the Kamoer pump. Super simple setup.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are referring to how I have it setup, hope this helps. I have my Kamoer pump pulling from my CaRx 2nd chamber. The Kamoer pump is plugged into the Alkatronic BT adapter. My Alkatronic has a certain dKH range that I want to stay within. I have my Alkatronic in "Action Mode" which will either dose dKH or turn off the BT adapter. Once the dKH is above my range, the Alkatronic turns off the BT adapter which turns off the Kamoer pump. Super simple setup.

So you really set your reactor to overdose the system (if it ran 24/7) by setting a low enough pH in the reactor and controlling the solenoid injecting CO2 with a separate controller to manage that, and set the reactor pump flow (pump pulling water into the reactor and draining into the sump), and then the Alkatronic either allows the reactor's pump to run until it measures an alk level above your set range, at which time the Alkatronic turns the pump off. Then, when an alk reading measures below your set range, it turns the pump back on. Correct?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you really set your reactor to overdose the system (if it ran 24/7) by setting a low enough pH in the reactor and controlling the solenoid injecting CO2 with a separate controller to manage that, and set the reactor pump flow (pump pulling water into the reactor and draining into the sump), and then the Alkatronic either allows the reactor's pump to run until it measures an alk level above your set range, at which time the Alkatronic turns the pump off. Then, when an alk reading measures below your set range, it turns the pump back on. Correct?

I wouldn't necessarily say it is set to overdose on the CaRx side of things, but I do have enough CO2 going to the reactor to adjust for a high/low setting daily. I actually have it set lower than my consumption and I use my kalk stirrer/Alkatronic to make up the difference to stay within/around my range. I found this has worked best for me at this moment in time. I like keeping the CaRx lower as well for the benefits that I get from dosing kalk and alkalinity (increased pH that helps my growth). I am currently pull 50mls/sec with the Kamoer and I have some virtual outlets setup in the Apex for day/night pH range in my CaRx. Here is how I currently have it setup:

upload_2019-5-30_11-2-47.png

CARX_PUMP: runs 24/7

CO2_SOLENOID:
Fallback OFF
If Output CARX_PH_HI = OFF Then OFF
If Output CARX_PH_LO = OFF Then OFF
If Output CARX_PH_HI = ON Then ON
If Output CARX_PH_LO = ON Then ON
If Output LEAK = ON Then OFF

CARX_PH_HI:
Set OFF
If Time 22:01 to 04:00 Then ON
If CaRxPh > 7.25 Then ON
If Time 04:01 to 22:00 Then OFF
If CaRxPh < 7.20 Then OFF

CARX_PH_LO:
Set OFF
If Time 04:01 to 22:00 Then ON
If CaRxPh > 7.20 Then ON
If Time 22:00 to 04:00 Then OFF
If CaRxPh < 7.15 Then OFF

Alkatronic Settings:
upload_2019-5-30_11-7-1.png

Here are the last few days of my pH chart in my Apex:
upload_2019-5-30_11-24-46.png

* I just start a Chemiclean since I have a little cyano going. Seems this is a summer routine for me. That is why my pH has dropped so much recently. Skimmer not working at capacity.

I can likely change my interval to every 6 hours without an issue, but the overall reagent cost to run the Alkatronic is relatively inexpensive so I have it testing every 2 hours and think that I will keep it that way for the foreseeable future.

NOTE: Not many people run their systems like this. This is what works for me and I do not necessarily concern myself with the "industry" norm or not adjusting the CaRx pH, etc. To me this has made a huge change in my system in both stability and growth.

I invested in a dual-stage CO2 solenoid that is designed to turn on/off millions of times so why not use it for that purpose?

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back