Geo 818/SMC415 Calcium Reactor Setup for my 240 Reef

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ladies and gentlemen, it is that time for me to venture down the CaRx journey for my growing 240G mixed reef. Some may wonder (other don't care, :)) why I am going this route. Well the simple answer is that now that my reef is getting established and the calcium requirements have increase to at least a gallon a week, time to finish off the remaining of my 2-part and save me a little $$ and setting up a CaRx.

My goal is to use the Geo 818/SMC415 in conjunction with my Alkatronic to have a system that will keep my parameters in what I consider my sweet spot (subject to change if necessary):

dKH - 7.0 - 7.5 (I know .5 swing but I can live with that)
Calcium - 450ppm
Magnesium - 1350ppm

Just a little bit of info about my current tank setup. It is a 240G mixed reef (think I said that already, ;Happy).

Controller
Currently (I do mean currently) being controlled via a 2016 Apex with most of the modules, AXM, WXM, PM1, etc.

Alkatronic - love this machine. It is a piece of ART and does wonders. If you can get one, get it no questions asked

Pumps/Powerheads
Fluval SP6
4 - Ecotech MP40wqd
2 - Maxspect Gyre XF250

Want to give a shout out to @Water Dog, @ohioboy706, @geo, Alan Le for all the help in getting this together.

Feeling a little lazy right now and will update this post later. Just wanted to get it started. Once I have everything setup, I'll leave my opinion about the Geo 818/SMC415 (for anyone that cares :D).

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the new stuff that’ll be going under the cabinet. Waiting on the pH probe and another PM1 module

8384c91827b53a0382f7acb1c88337e9.jpg

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody should wonder anything. No matter what tech advances happen, calcium reactor is still the best method of supplementation for big tanks and is the least labor intensive.

Hey there are still a lot of people that are scared to death about using a CaRx. I know that I realized really fast once I changed over my tank to be SPS dominant that dosing wasn't the best solution going forward.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Looking forward following your progress with the CaRx set up... especially its integration with the Alkatronic.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You integrate your CR818 with your alkatronic?

Yes that is the plan. Still waiting on my pH probe and PM1 module. Won't get it until October 2nd. Sucks. Thought I'd switch to another vendor this time around to keep it moving and man the free shipping is literally like snail mail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will ABSOLUTELY have the Alkatronic involved in this setup.

So here are the options:
1. Have the Alkatronic turn off both the CO2 and peristaltic pump if dKH is out of whack. (Don't think this will work because of needing to know the pH)
2. Have the Alkatronic turn off the peristaltic pump if dKH is out of range and Apex turn off CO2 if pH is out of range. (Think this will be the best of both worlds)

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will ABSOLUTELY have the Alkatronic involved in this setup.

So here are the options:
1. Have the Alkatronic turn off both the CO2 and peristaltic pump if dKH is out of whack. (Don't think this will work because of needing to know the pH)
2. Have the Alkatronic turn off the peristaltic pump if dKH is out of range and Apex turn off CO2 if pH is out of range. (Think this will be the best of both worlds)

Oh you are using Apex to control your CR. Not using the the wifi plug to control the CR?

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you are using Apex to control your CR. Not using the the wifi plug to control the CR?

There are 2 aspects that need to be controlled. The pH in the chamber and the pump. The Alkatronic cannot control the pH in the reactor so I would use the Apex for that, but it can control the pump and stop it from pushing water to the reactor. Makes sense?

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 aspects that need to be controlled. The pH in the chamber and the pump. The Alkatronic cannot control the pH in the reactor so I would use the Apex for that, but it can control the pump and stop it from pushing water to the reactor. Makes sense?
I see. Thank You mitch for the highlight

implusebuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering the same @Bpb. In the picture doesn't look like it is setup. @implusebuy is it in fact hooked up and any feedback you can give on it?

Yes it’s hooked up but it’s so small it’s hard to see. I purchased it from aliexpress before coralvue started distributing it in the US. Sometimes the pump head makes a crunching noise and kamoer support hasn’t been much help. I have to grease the tubing with silicone lube and push the pump head in and it’s seems to quite the crunching noise for a couple or so weeks. Wish they had someone in the US that would help me out. I doubt coralvue would since it was purchased through aliexpress. Here’s a pic of it set up but without my secondary chamber hooked up.
8a4e3c4f5f460bd094b1085922d5b9ae.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back