Trigger Fish Tank

Shock1K9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video/ photo test

Thought I’d try to post a video of my 390 gallon trigger fish set up. The video doesn’t appear to work; however, In this pic is my 2 inch Titan Trigger next to a 7 inch Blue Line eating a clam. Despite the horror stories, I have 10 very aggressive Triggers that have been living well together for over a year.
08ED2A98-021E-469C-BC63-A4139BC10405.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're off to a good start. :) Question is can you keep them together for thier normal life expectancy without issues. Youj didn't list the species you have or if they were juviniles or adults when you got them but as fish mature terittory issues are likely to develop. Besides looking for aggression steriotypy behavour should also be considered when deciding if someone needs to be rehomed.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the first part of keeping triggers is a large tank, and a 390g is definitely great. But slow your roll, as one year is no metric to success, A 2" titan may take 10 years to get to 10", and a 7"blueline is just coming into his own, so watch out, There are many variables to keeping triggers, I have kept plenty, and raised many baby triggers for other tanks. Each individual species can be successful if in the proper tank of size and suitable tank mates. Whether they are tank raised from babies or collected as adults, sub adults or fully mature. Each species mature at different sizes and their temperament changes as they mature. A 390g is a good foundation for a group of triggers to be successful, but check back in another year and tell the truth. Lets see some pics.

OP
OP
S

Shock1K9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're off to a good start. :) Question is can you keep them together for thier normal life expectancy without issues. Youj didn't list the species you have or if they were juviniles or adults when you got them but as fish mature terittory issues are likely to develop. Besides looking for aggression steriotypy behavour should also be considered when deciding if someone needs to be rehomed.
All were obtained. As juveniles. The Blueline was the first and is currently the biggest. The Titan is the smallest, I’ve had him for about 7 months. They have lots of places to hide, and keeping them well fed. So far so good.
Here is what I have..
Blue Line, Undulated, Rectangular Trigger, Niger trigger, Titan Trigger, Yellow Margin, Clown, Bursa , Picasso
DF33ABE2-1D8C-4DC1-87D4-50BDA49CCF0E.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a fun tank with a bunch of triggers. In your 390g you should have little trouble.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely keep an eye on the Undulate. Looks like a good oportunity to document some interesting behavuor over the next few years as they mature. :)

My first tank more than 30 years ago was a 40B with an undy, niger, and picasso. They were all thumb sized babies. I upgraded tanks through the years and years in, over 5, I rehomed the undy to a 500g from my 180g. At least a few years later he, probably a she, was doing well and became a bar favorite, I had given her to a bar I used to hang out in. Variables include I raised her from a baby and she ended up in a lightly stocked 500g, I call her a she because very well fed and reached about 7" after 10 years, females are smaller. Triggers hate being crowded and a tank raised individual is always better; and then there's the luck of the draw. Only a few can be sexed, and females will always co-hab better than males, males get extremely territorial when mature. Very difficult to introduce new additions once mature, especially with a male. The blueline comes 2nd. The queen is in a category all there own, small ones don't seem to survive to maturity, and mature ones don't take well being in captivity. The golden heart is actually a more attractive Balistes species that is less aggressive and stays smaller.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back