TRIGGERFISH COMPATIBILITY

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am preparing to do two 300 gallon tanks. I posted about the first one already but now i need help with the other.

First, will these triggers get along?
-Blue throat (1 male & 1 female)
- Pink tail
- Red tail
- Crosshatch

Other planed babies
-Chevron tang
- Yellow belly regal blue tang
-Chocolate tang
-Purple or Scopas tang
-Snowflake Eel

Unsure
-Butterfly fish
- Rabbit fish
- Angel

CUC
I have no idea

This is the link to the tank i am looking at
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=OrderForm&sProdID=AQ_300Wide

This is the link to the other 300 Gallon question. The filtration and such will be the same.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-big-of-a-dt-do-i-need.394257/#post-4753269

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crosshatch, sargussum and bluethroat u better get all at once...I have tried it twice only way it works.. My tank is a 265.... Just my 2 cents....

OP
OP
G

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crosshatch, sargussum and bluethroat u better get all at once...I have tried it twice only way it works.. My tank is a 265.... Just my 2 cents....
Thank you. You have had success doing them all at once? Does similar size make a difference?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding together gives you the best odds. Honestly, mixing triggers is a gamble a lot like mixing tangs. Triggers could decide overnight to take each other out. They’re similar enough in lineage that’s a risk you would be taking. However, most of the time those are more “docile” triggers. A trigger is still a trigger, however.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crosshatch is almost going to be biggest.. Sargussum I think is little more agressive than bluethroat.. Bluethroat being most passive.. So I would try and get larger bluethroat and smaller sargussum.... Again a crap shoot.. The pinktail triggerfish I have had no luck with being very agressive... Hawaiian durgeon trigger for me much better citizen....

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tkiry1 advice on triggers are always spot on. The thing about the 3 Xanthichthys genus you are getting is all about the number of males you get, if you pull a female with sargassum it will likely work fine. A male bluejaw and a male sargassum may likely be an issue. My pink tail broke the mold and was the king of my 210 until he went blind, he even harassed my male bluejaw #1 until I left the feeding door one night and he jumped. Male Bluejaw #2 was a little larger and the angst between the 2 was much less.. Triggers love to scrap, I still hear them rumbling behind the rocks and seeing them all scraped up, even though the pinktail is blind.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tkiry1 advice on triggers are always spot on. The thing about the 3 Xanthichthys genus you are getting is all about the number of males you get, if you pull a female with sargassum it will likely work fine. A male bluejaw and a male sargassum may likely be an issue. My pink tail broke the mold and was the king of my 210 until he went blind, he even harassed my male bluejaw #1 until I left the feeding door one night and he jumped. Male Bluejaw #2 was a little larger and the angst between the 2 was much less.. Triggers love to scrap, I still hear them rumbling behind the rocks and seeing them all scraped up, even though the pinktail is blind.

Triggers are tricky.... Have u ever seen a female sargussum?? I know female crosshatches and female bluethroats are always out there.....

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are tricky.... Have u ever seen a female sargussum?? I know female crosshatches and female bluethroats are always out there.....

I'm not sure there's a definitive way to sex a sargassum. Like with bluejaws for instance, anything at around 4" or under can appear to be female, then the dominant male markings appear when that male starts to mature. We almost always see the crosshatch at larger sizes and fully mature with definite differences. Just a sidenote, my male niger has streamers, the females don't, usually start showing up around 3-4". I'm not sure how many triggers can actually be definitely sexed.

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bluejaw and sargassum, the bluejaw is smaller than the sargassum. The sargassum I added last, they've been together well over a year. I don't have any issues but the sargassum definetly has a little attitude but usually toward my tangs.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I added a niger, pink tail, sargassum, and Picasso into 180
At the same time and the sargassum immediately went after the pink tail and killed it within a day. All the others get along fine. Stay out of each other’s way. I have male/female blue throat in 300 reef. Can be tricky with triggers recommend adding all at once and younger but still can be risky. Each has its own personality. I never thought my sargassum was so mean . Super friendly let’s us pick it up and hold it. Cool fish, I would definitely get another.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How likely would a Picasso be to fight/kill other fish of a similar or larger size like tangs, dwarf angels,Tuskfish, or butterflies?

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How likely would a Picasso be to fight/kill other fish of a similar or larger size like tangs, dwarf angels,Tuskfish, or butterflies?
In my experience, my Picasso ate a gobbie I added after the trigger but it is currently in a 300 gal with multiple tangs of all sizes bigger and smaller than Picasso. I also have angels of all sizes and a butterfly in the same tank. The trigger has not bother anyone since the gobbie. I highly recommend one is a nice fish and interesting personality. It does not fight with my other triggers, foxface or puffers either. Good luck. I think all fish have unique personalities and you never know. Maybe someone else here has more experience to offer info for you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back