Triggerfish

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 quick questions... what are your experiences with a niger triggerfish in a reef environment (snails, shrimp, smaller fish etc) and has anyone had good/bad experiences with a niger trigger and blue jaw trigger in the same tank?

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are we talking? Nigers will generally go after shrimps and smaller crabs, and IME only go after snails/ larger crabs as adults. You shouldn’t have issues with them eating fish so long as you aren’t housing very small fish such as: gobies, pipe fish, dragonets, etc when the trigger gets larger. They are a bit more likely to consume inverts when compared to the blue jaw.
From the sounds of it, you’re trying to add a niger trigger to a tank that has an existing blue jaw? Generally I would advise against doing so as it often only works long term in very large tanks. However, if both specimens are juveniles/ the blue jaw is larger than the niger you shouldn’t have many issues for a while (keep in mind some nigers can get nastier as they mature).

Abraham Gonzalez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue jaw thus far has left all of my inverts and most of my smaller fish alone but has eaten a few smaller bangghai cardinals. I have been debating whether or not I want to keep him in my aquarium or trade him out and go a different route with fish/invert compatibility.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my tank and had to rehome it after about 7 or 8 months. He was becoming aggressive and my tank is only 70gal. He did eat one of my shrimp but did not bother the snails or corals. He got to about 6 inches and became very territorial. He would circle the top of the tank like a shark and would often chase the other fish away. Would probably have worked in a much bigger tank but they do eat crustaceans.

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are we talking? Nigers will generally go after shrimps and smaller crabs, and IME only go after snails/ larger crabs as adults. You shouldn’t have issues with them eating fish so long as you aren’t housing very small fish such as: gobies, pipe fish, dragonets, etc when the trigger gets larger. They are a bit more likely to consume inverts when compared to the blue jaw.
From the sounds of it, you’re trying to add a niger trigger to a tank that has an existing blue jaw? Generally I would advise against doing so as it often only works long term in very large tanks. However, if both specimens are juveniles/ the blue jaw is larger than the niger you shouldn’t have many issues for a while (keep in mind some nigers can get nastier as they mature).

I have a 300g system. I do have a juvenile blue jaw already - maybe 3" and not tremendously established (2 months or so). I do have a few smaller fish, however. Perhaps the niger isn't the way to go. I like them, but in doing research it's really conflicting info as to whether or not they are peaceful.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get really big. IMO not for home aquariums. But they are peaceful enough generally. Personality varies, but probably like the blue jaw. I've had one. It was ok but got too big. I currently have a clown in a full reef. It's the boss but it doesn't tear anything up. They are more aggressive then nigers.

chamjack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0944DA45-30F2-4CA1-B970-0B415D06D5F3.jpeg
I have a 5-6”ish blue jaw in my 125 reef. Only him and 3 other fish. No small fish though. I do have 3 fire, 1 skunk, and 1 coral banded shrimp along with hermits and snails. He never bothers anyone. Going on two years that I have had him. Not sure of his age because I re-homed him him from another tank a guy was tearing down. Not the best photo, but you get the idea of size.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger tend to be very reef and invert safe when small and then suddenly behave like triggers around 3.5-5 inches or so, which can happen pretty quickly.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300g system. I do have a juvenile blue jaw already - maybe 3" and not tremendously established (2 months or so). I do have a few smaller fish, however. Perhaps the niger isn't the way to go. I like them, but in doing research it's really conflicting info as to whether or not they are peaceful.

What are the smaller fish that you have?
I’ve seen some success in tanks around that size.. I would wait until your blue jaw got a couple inches bigger, then find a niger around 3” (If you are still interested in doing a niger). 3” is about the smallest size I’ve seen commonly abailable.
As some have suggested earlier, you could look into getting a 2nd blue jaw for a pair.. I’ve seen some beautiful tanks with those being the main show fish.

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the smaller fish that you have?
I’ve seen some success in tanks around that size.. I would wait until your blue jaw got a couple inches bigger, then find a niger around 3” (If you are still interested in doing a niger). 3” is about the smallest size I’ve seen commonly abailable.
As some have suggested earlier, you could look into getting a 2nd blue jaw for a pair.. I’ve seen some beautiful tanks with those being the main show fish.
In terms of smaller fish, i have a small goby/pistol shrimp pair, a randall goby, a mandarin pair and I had planned on a blue jaw spotfish (I had one that jumped despite my cover but loved him enough to get another). I have some smaller wrasse - a magma that is maybe 2". I probably have a few more smaller fish but can't think of them off the top of my head. I have lots of shrimp, crabs, snails etc.

I like the idea of a blue jaw pair.

I had originally been looking for a crosshatch pair, but I waited forever and only a very large male at $1400 showed up. Seemed a bit crazy in price and I had really hoped for one under 5".

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of smaller fish, i have a small goby/pistol shrimp pair, a randall goby, a mandarin pair and I had planned on a blue jaw spotfish (I had one that jumped despite my cover but loved him enough to get another). I have some smaller wrasse - a magma that is maybe 2". I probably have a few more smaller fish but can't think of them off the top of my head. I have lots of shrimp, crabs, snails etc.

I like the idea of a blue jaw pair.

I had originally been looking for a crosshatch pair, but I waited forever and only a very large male at $1400 showed up. Seemed a bit crazy in price and I had really hoped for one under 5".

A bluejaw pair would be the safest, as well as a nice addition. At 3" is your bluejaw showing strong male colors yet, or does it look female. I've found the bluejaws need to over 4" to make a definite id on the sex. Many times I've seen people try for a pair and end up with 2 males as the apparent female matures more.

If you really had to have a niger, it would be challenge but doable. Nigers sadly are a dime a dozen and it's pretty easy to get one a couple inches. They usually aren't that aggressive, may or may not bother inverts. As far as living in a reef, I've seen it work with smaller ones. I haven't seen any large ones to know if they get that destructive nature as other triggers when they get over 5" or so. Two males may have a problem, niger males have streamers that usually don't show up until around 3- 3.5".

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bluejaw pair would be the safest, as well as a nice addition. At 3" is your bluejaw showing strong male colors yet, or does it look female. I've found the bluejaws need to over 4" to make a definite id on the sex. Many times I've seen people try for a pair and end up with 2 males as the apparent female matures more.

If you really had to have a niger, it would be challenge but doable. Nigers sadly are a dime a dozen and it's pretty easy to get one a couple inches. They usually aren't that aggressive, may or may not bother inverts. As far as living in a reef, I've seen it work with smaller ones. I haven't seen any large ones to know if they get that destructive nature as other triggers when they get over 5" or so. Two males may have a problem, niger males have streamers that usually don't show up until around 3- 3.5".
I love it when I notice my dyslexia lol. I meant *blue spot jawfish* sigh. I digress...

I think I'll stick to a pair on blue jaws. Mine has the nice blue chin and yellow markings on the fins. I'e not ever seen a female at my LFS, but I could likely get one if I request it. Thanks for the info though. I'll make sure to search for a female that is 4"+ so that I am sure it's a female. I definitely wouldn't want 3 males.

Too bad about the niger - I love the look of them - but I already had a juvenile flamehawk that went on a murder spree and killed many things - some that were bigger than it!... then a few of my wrasse got in on the action - it was terrible. Thankfully their behaviour stopped the minute I took the flame hawk out. I wouldn't want to risk it happening again with a different fish, not to mention that my fish get HUGE very rapidly so the niger would likely grow quite large in my system.

Thanks for the advice!!

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get really big. IMO not for home aquariums. But they are peaceful enough generally. Personality varies, but probably like the blue jaw. I've had one. It was ok but got too big. I currently have a clown in a full reef. It's the boss but it doesn't tear anything up. They are more aggressive then nigers.
A clown? Wow, you're bold! I'm glad it's working out for you though - they are beautiful fish!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have stated, Nigers will definitely eat shrimp and snails. A Blue Throat will attempt to eat them if they're accessible, but not as relentless like the Niger will.

A Blue Throat is your best option for a reef safe Trigger. I've had multiple Triggers living in one tank without an issue (Clown Trigger, Niger Trigger, Picasso/Huma Huma Trigger).

I have a shrimp living with a Blue Throat right now. You MUST give the shrimp an area that he can go to that the fish can't, like a rock with a small gap against the back wall that the shrimp can fit behind, but not the fish.
My shrimps antenna get nipped shorter every so often, but he's been alive for 8 months with the Trigger and a small Puffer with that setup.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back