Triggerfish

Discussion in 'Predatory Fish Discussion' started by CanadianReefer, Jan 24, 2018.

1. CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer Active Member

Thanks everyone :) I inquired today at my LFS if he can get me a female blue throat. Perhaps I'll start a predator tank at some point and I'll get the niger and a few other fish I've had my eye on at that point. Now it's all about convincing the hubby that I need another tank lol

2. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 Valuable Member

The predators are definitely the best fish imo. They have the most personality and are very unique looking. The only thing is most of them get way too big.

3. Mfreddy

Mfreddy Active Member

I’ve had a large Niger and large clown together for 22 months in my 240. It’s a fowlr

4. CanadianReefer

I'd have to agree - predator fish definitely have personalities. IF I can convince my hubby that I should get another big tank, I'd love to have a variety of triggerfish, a dwarf lionfish, a harlequin tusk, a red coris wrasse, a dwarf golden moray eel, a longhorn cowfish, a miniatus grouper, a goldflake or scribbled angelfish, a dogface or spiny box puffer, a dragon wrasse... ah man... the list just goes on. I would be in heaven!! lol

It's a matter of convincing him that it won't require a lot more power/water/maintenance etc., so really, it's about hooking all my tanks up on the same system. I'm in the process of doing this for my current tanks - at least the ones on the basement level - so you never know?? We are expanding my fish room, building a better RODI and saltwater mixing station, automating water changes etc., so if it won't be a lot more work to maintain, he might let me have one. The equipment I have in my sump currently could likely handle the extra load of a big tank, since I have a tenancy to always buy things much bigger than they need to be (I know myself and I constantly upgrade my systems, so it makes sense to think ahead and buy bigger equipment!). I might have to upgrade the size of my sump, however, since I'm currently using an 80g frag tank and I'd need to make sure that I had a tank that would be big enough to handle the overflow etc. during a power outage.

Ah dangit! Now you guys have me dreaming about a new tank! HAHAHA

5. Scott.h

Scott.h Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Feiw it's easier to ask forgiveness then permission!

CanadianReefer likes this.
  6. CanadianReefer

Very true ;) lol

7. Mfreddy

Mfreddy Active Member

Nice tank!

Darryl likes this.
  8. Darryl

Darryl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

Thank You!

9. CanadianReefer

The female blue jaw has been purchased so Bruce "The Hulk" Banner now has a girlfriend - Betty Ross. Yes, I'm not just a fish nerd lol

10. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Blue jaw and Niger only ones I'd trust. The remainder of grouping are either aggressive towards tankmates in time OR will move or gnaw on coral from as little as boredom

11. Mfreddy

Mfreddy Active Member

In KC LFS it seems like most of the nigers are tiny, about an inch. Cute little guys but I like orange teeth and streamers

12. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Good-looking triggers! Do you have a build thread? I'd follow it :)

13. duromega

duromega Active Member

My niger was a pain
    Killed a bunch of fish

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2018
  14. CanadianReefer

So I had some sort of an odd issue with my male blue jaw and was worried that I'd end up having only the female... but alas he pulled through (no one on the forum was able to positively identify the issue - it was the strangest thing I had ever seen) and I have now added the female to the DT to join him. They look very sharp together, I must say!

Wouldn't You know it... shortly after having purchased the female, didn't I FINALLY find a gorgeous crosshatch pair (and a hybrid blue jaw/crosshatch, for that matter). Too bad - I had already bought these guys so they are staying and I had to pass up the crosshatch.

They seem to have gravitated towards one another so he must be happy to have a girlfriend Now!! :)

15. jda

jda Valuable Member

16. RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad Active Member Partner Member 2019

Hi! Love your wish list! Sounds like ours. We have a 300 reef with 9 tangs. But we couldn’t resist the predators either, so got a 180 and adopted old returned large fish.
    Have 10+ yr old porcupine puffer, 10+ yo Koran angel, 10+yo Sohal tang ( who is model citizen btw) then loved the red tail trigger, niger (doubled in size in 3 months! But beautiful) and Picasso trigger, harlequin tusk, Fox face, scopas tang, juvenile emperor angel, adult majestic angel, grouper, and lastly a jeweled eel! Everyone gets along except at feeding time the Koral kind of chases away the other angels but they get their share. Feed most of them Krill by hand even the eel. Our Puffer will jump up head out of water for shrimp! Definitely you should get another tank, it’s so much fun to have both. Good luck.

7C973E11-747E-48E2-B1DC-702F04EFC228.jpeg

91395961-6BE7-40DB-A2D5-BADE20235DD7.jpeg

64710119-D5D5-42F2-9C98-832854185158.jpeg

1A041EBD-18A4-4B1E-AC4A-4ADE1C1D9634.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2018
  17. Joshua Kerstetter

Joshua Kerstetter Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I've had 2. My first died during a green algae bloom, I believe he started simply because he wasn't getting to the food in time and was such a active fish he died off before I could fix my biological issue. My second I've had in my new 220 for about a month now. He's peaceful, never messed with my invertebrates and all day swims back and forth along the rear of the tank like a champ. I'm really pleased with him, I know he can get big, but I'm sure I'll enjoy him for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted