Triggers in a reef?

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 inch niger trigger in my reef. He is well behaved. A bit greedy but good natured
IMG_0261.JPG

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0055.JPG
I have a niger, blue jaw, and sargussam in my reef tank, no problems to speak of. They don't bother a soul and only eat what I feed them, sargassum was just added a few weeks ago, other 2 have been in there for about 8 months.

What's the guy just underneath the sargassum?

croix67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink tail trigger no problem s and it's like a rocket around the tank

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hawaiian Black Trigger - one of my favorites in the tank - lots of personality and doesnt seem to bother my inverts. Sometimes will let me pet it when my hand is in the tank

*I also have a Yellow Blotch Rabbitfish in my tank too. Great fish but has doubled in size in the last 6 months and is starting to bump into things in my 120G

I used to feed him pellets straight outta my hand but stopped since he was growing pretty quick. Now he has to compete with everybody so he is not getting as much food and bis growth has slowed down.Plan is for a 200+gallon within 2 years.

DRoth335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We currently have a red tail (sargassum) and in the past have had blue throat, pink tail and niger- all with no issues. The only one I would not get again is the niger and not because it isn't reef safe but because every time I cleaned the glass in the tank it would rush my hand. He never actually bit me but caused me to jerk my hand away splashing water every time. Cool fish but got to stressful for me so he was rehomed.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new sargassum did that the other day and since i wasnt expecting it, i reacted like that, water went flying everywhere. He now comes over to investigate and i just tap him away.:)

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0055.JPG
I have a niger, blue jaw, and sargussam in my reef tank, no problems to speak of. They don't bother a soul and only eat what I feed them, sargassum was just added a few weeks ago, other 2 have been in there for about 8 months.
IMG_0055.JPG
How does your coris wrasse behave in there?

Animal Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Huma Huma in my reef, he's been there 2 years so far. Doesn't touch coral but will eat a snail or two from time to time. I have no idea how but it trained itself to eat hair algae. If I move a rock and it exposes hair algae he goes to town! I couldn't believe it when he started but it happened...lol I guess its because I have a few tangs that I feed nori and it took to that pretty quick. Just one of those crazy things, I have a reef safe algae eating Huma Huma, probably the only one in the world...lol

Kinggeorge818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large crosshatch Trigger in my last reef, it was a 565 gallon tank and the crosshatch started chasing and eating my blue chromis!! LoL

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0055.JPG
That's a beautiful Red Coris Wrasse

UNCFAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clown Trigger in my 125 mixed reef and so far he has not bothered anyone. He does have the most personality of any fish in my tank. He is the first one to greet me when I approach the tank. He is about 6 inches long and I've had him for six months. He does a little dance up and down the tank when he is hungry. I feed him a large size shrimp and he will take it from my hand - I hold the shrimp on the very last inch of the tail and my trigger grabs it from the bottom and begins chomping on the shrimp. I was given the advice to never feed him anything alive and that should keep the aggression down - jury still out on that advice but so far he is a great fish to watch.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clown Trigger in my 125 mixed reef and so far he has not bothered anyone. He does have the most personality of any fish in my tank. He is the first one to greet me when I approach the tank. He is about 6 inches long and I've had him for six months. He does a little dance up and down the tank when he is hungry. I feed him a large size shrimp and he will take it from my hand - I hold the shrimp on the very last inch of the tail and my trigger grabs it from the bottom and begins chomping on the shrimp. I was given the advice to never feed him anything alive and that should keep the aggression down - jury still out on that advice but so far he is a great fish to watch.

Been thinking about that for a while, think I'm gonna try it in another tank soon.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys feed your triggers? I only feed my tanks frozen food twice a day would they adapt to that or need something special? I have a 700 gallon sps tank so I have plenty of room.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back