Triton Method with Chaeto Reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been setting up my 180 gal mixed reef tank and the sump is a Trigger Systems 39 gallon set up for Triton. I was wondering if the Triton method would work equally if one was to use a Chaeto reactor, like the Pax Bellum, or similar?

The Chaeto reactors just seem to so much cleaner, easier to clean and with no light spillage all over the sump.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A true triton method is to use no mechanical filter like filter pads or socks so your chaeto catches all of your debris. Using a chaeto reactor kind of takes that purpose out of the method. Would you be using filter socks/pads, chaeto reactor, and dosing the triton additives? Or what We’re you thinking? Because you could still do some kind of spin off the triton method if you wanted to use the reactor.

OP
OP
JMetaxas

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do everything the same as the traditional Triton method but instead of the Chaeto in my sump, it would be in the reactor.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use an algae reactor and still run Full TRITON Method. We believe that a proper algae refugium is superior as it supports greater biodiversity but many of our users employ algae reactors with great success.

OP
OP
JMetaxas

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use an algae reactor and still run Full TRITON Method. We believe that a proper algae refugium is superior as it supports greater biodiversity but many of our users employ algae reactors with great success.

Julian, Thank you for the info.. My only concern with a refugium is the amount of detritus that collects. I do have a sump specifically designed for the Triton method. (Trigger Systems Triton 39)

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The detritus, in a fully functional algae refugium, should be largely consumed by the organisms (mainly pods) that live within the fuge. If it ever gets excessive you can always siphon it out but a buildup of detritus may also be a sign of insufficient water flow. Keep in mind that the TRITON Method recommends 10X Display Tank Volume/Hour flow rate through the refugium for optimal conditions.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Pax Bellum and full Triton.

Whilst Triton has a recommended way of working, such as: Fuge first, then skimmer, then return, no mechanical. This is NOT the only way to use Triton, this is just general guidance on how you could run a tank.

Let's be real, Triton method is major, minor and trace element replenishment, that's it.
Everything else is purely a recommendation, particularly for people who are new to reefing, on how to setup a tank for success.

I run filter socks about 75% of the time, I run UV, I run an algae reactor.
Works a treat.

Other than that, I follow Triton exactly. Regular ICP's (every 4-6 weeks), and I dose all supplementary elements as per the ICP recommendations. Manganese, Vanadium, Iodine, Zinc, I do these twice weekly, as some of the volumes are too low for daily. I always find on my ICP's that my Molybdenum and Nickel are always low, so I always dose these too.

Interestingly, I did originally have a "Triton sump", but I could never get chaeto growing, no matter what I did.
For a while I changed over to 'Triton Other Methods' and resorted to water changes and GFO.
I then changed my sump and got the Pax, straight away it worked and I moved back to full Triton Method.

scotto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whilst Triton has a recommended way of working, such as: Fuge first, then skimmer, then return, no mechanical. This is NOT the only way to use Triton, this is just general guidance on how you could run a tank.

Let's be real, Triton method is major, minor and trace element replenishment, that's it.
Everything else is purely a recommendation, particularly for people who are new to reefing, on how to setup a tank for success.

Works a treat.

Other than that, I follow Triton exactly. Regular ICP's (every 4-6 weeks), and I dose all supplementary elements as per the ICP recommendations. Manganese, Vanadium, Iodine, Zinc, I do these twice weekly, as some of the volumes are too low for daily. I always find on my ICP's that my Molybdenum and Nickel are always low, so I always dose these too.

Interestingly, I did originally have a "Triton sump", but I could never get chaeto growing, no matter what I did.
For a while I changed over to 'Triton Other Methods' and resorted to water changes and GFO.
I then changed my sump and got the Pax, straight away it worked and I moved back to full Triton Method.
I think this is the most useful post I've seen on using Triton Other Methods/Reef Supplements vs full Triton method with filter socks and altered fuge (ie reactor), and I've searched!

I'm currently running Other Methods with a ClariSea and a smaller refugium (~5% of total volume if that) with an insanely powerful AI Prime Fuge. I harvest a TON of chaeto weekly, and need to dose nitrates into the system (phosphates are kept in check that way).

I was worried about switching to full Triton method, but it sounds like I won't have an issue with the buildup of the other "algae elements" that people keep talking about? I think I would just have less issues with elemental depletion shown in the ICP this way, but just guessing . . .

FisheRare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Works a treat.

How has it been working since you went back to full triton method ? I also have a pax and I’m currently running triton other method and thinking of moving to full but i was sure if it would work with the PAX

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • None.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back