Triton Progress Pictures

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Acropora plana is a challenging piece. They do typically brown out when they first arrive. Glad it colored up for you

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Acropora plana is a challenging piece. They do typically brown out when they first arrive. Glad it colored up for you

I was hesitant in grabbing it (It came from you guys!) but the cust. service you guys offer made me comfortable. It has done remarkably well. I immediately dipped it and mounted it under pretty intense light with zero issues.

Another question: Does the Base Elementz include elements other then Bicarb/Calc/Mag? Such as Iron, Iodine, and other trace? If so - do they come from Part 3?

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Base Elementz contain all the macro elements and all the essential trace elements. They were designed to be the single solution to the challenging task of adding and balancing the full matrix of seawater. A product like this did not really exist prior and that is why Reefbuilders named them one of the Top Ten products of 2014 (shameless plug I know, but its true;))

The trace elements are found in more than just the part 3 bottle. Ehsan designed the 4 part solution to replace all the macro and traces in a mature reef and to do this he took many things into effect. For instance, if he found that an element was used more than others in many of the tanks he was testing, he would spike that element in the solution until it created a more balanced level for the tank on a day to day basis. The product therefore is a result of years of fine tuning and therefore should not be used creatively. It should be used in a completely balanced fashion. Find the common denominator setting that keeps all the macro levels in check based on a setpoint of 8dkh and use single element bottles to boost any deficiencies of the macros. For example: Say you have a 100 gallon reef tank that is being dosed 50 ml of each solution pr day. This dose keeps the alkalinity at 8 but the calcium, when tested, (by you on a hobby kit) drops down a bit every day. If you boost the dosage to 55 ml of each solution pr day, the alkalinity starts to creep up slowly above 8 to 8.2, then 8.4, etc. What I recommend doing is to keep the daily dose at 50ml for all 4 parts and simply add a little calcium to the tank every few days to keep it in the target zone. In time, as the corals mature, you will most likely find that the sps corals will start taking more alkalinity which will level out the calcium meaning that you will no longer have to dose it.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SIX MONTHS OF TRITON
P6010005_zpsjdjaq72f.jpg

P5310002_zpstbivize7.jpg

P5310005_zpsxcmt2gp8.jpg

P5310017_zpskrk0bbzf.jpg
P5310018_zpsidcopjqs.jpg

P6010010_zpsk4u6f7tt.jpg

P6010011_zpsxcr6jwzj.jpg

P6010014_zpscohcawus.jpg

P6010030_zps6ztwotbt.jpg

P6010039_zpsnpnxfnfq.jpg

P6010041_zps73wxqw2q.jpg

P6010046_zpszjeugkmn.jpg

P6010056_zpsnbdkhx2g.jpg
P6010058_zpslwkg84km.jpg

P6010062_zpsscnvz4nc.jpg

P6010066_zpsdh9je60a.jpg

P6010068_zps1cefnkgs.jpg

P6010078_zpsj9pjsglq.jpg

See you in a year

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Sang!
Boy it takes a long time to grow out these tiny frags they sell these days, doesn't it?
Gene

acromike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing. I wonder why some reefers across the pond are experiencing hair algae outbreak with the triton method?

I was dosing some of the triton elements into my frag tank which is plumbed in line with my reef. I had a horrible hair algae outbreak.

I have since stopped dosing triton for abiut 2 months i git rid of the hair algae. Did a huge water change. No longer adding base elements into frag tank.

I will continue add soley to sump. If i get another hair algae outbreak i will pack up the triton method. I have about 600 gallons of water volume. I am hoping to be successful with triton.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing. I wonder why some reefers across the pond are experiencing hair algae outbreak with the triton method?

I was dosing some of the triton elements into my frag tank which is plumbed in line with my reef. I had a horrible hair algae outbreak.

I have since stopped dosing triton for abiut 2 months i git rid of the hair algae. Did a huge water change. No longer adding base elements into frag tank.

I will continue add soley to sump. If i get another hair algae outbreak i will pack up the triton method. I have about 600 gallons of water volume. I am hoping to be successful with triton.

I don't know what additives you are using, but some tanks seem to keep algae in check by limiting some trace element, which may be iron. If you are in such a situation and add something containing that limiting element, you may get an algae issue.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hair algae I have in the refugium and stays there along with the other algae. I don't under stand why the algae only stays in the refugium (where it belongs).
I'm wondering if the mates across the pond have any hair algae in their sumps? It seemed like they just had Cheato or Caulerpa.
Gene

acromike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just using the base elementz. I am starting to see algae growi g in my display tank also. On rocks. I just got through a major cyano outbreak also. Reefers on ultimate reef report massive GHA outbreaks from triton. I know some of you are having success with this method. I have mixed feelings about it.
In spirit of helping each other through the good and bad i hope someone on this forum will try to explain why this is happening.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton is designed to benefit a planted refugium as well as a reef tank. If you do not have algaes in a refugium consuming the elements that are included for the plants, then opportunistic algaes will likely develop wherever they can.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just using the base elementz. I am starting to see algae growi g in my display tank also. On rocks. I just got through a major cyano outbreak also. Reefers on ultimate reef report massive GHA outbreaks from triton. I know some of you are having success with this method. I have mixed feelings about it.
In spirit of helping each other through the good and bad i hope someone on this forum will try to explain why this is happening.

Available trace elements lifting such a limitation on algae growth, as mentioned. :)

acromike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses.
I did not understand your post. In the zeo forums reefers share experience to help each other. I find the triton forum to be deficient in this commodity.

acromike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i will try not great with pictures. Let me desribe it. My refugium is 130 gallons. I grow a ton of macro algae. I have to trim back. I fill up a five gallon bucket with chaeto i give away once a month.

acromike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks gpwdr,
no I do not have any hair algae in the tank. There are other forms of algae, but chaeto is winning the war there. I had hair algae in my frag tank. I believe this happened because I was dosing some of the base elementz into the frag tank so that I could separate them. My frag tank is only about 30 gallons and is plummed in line with my system. I think the elementz and the intense lighting led to the hair algae outbreak. Fortunately, the GHA never made its way upstairs into the main display.

I am back on triton again. As I mentioned my system is 500 gallons +... so straight triton would be rather expensive for me. I have my calcium reactor online at a low setting and I am dosing triton to keep my alk at 8. it seems to be holding stable and corals are looking good again.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should removed the hair algae from the frag tank and put the hair algae in the refugium. You want to encourage it to grow in the refugium. It will stay where it's happy. IMO

Gene

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back