OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks great. I'm not sure what is causing these levels? I've had the same auto top off for quite some time. Here's a pic of the tank. I think I may need to switch salts, because this is kind of concerning. I'm using Aquaforest's Probiotic blend.
MVIMG_20180605_121854.jpg

Well........

Does the tank seem OK?

I've never seen a tank with measurable antimony (Sb). I'll have to look around, but I have no idea what that is likely to imply. :D

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Vanadium and nickel are high. High enough to be concerned.

Are you dosing a lot of trace elements?

Any metal parts in the water anywhere? RO/DI? Aquarium? New salt water?
Oh and sorry, I haven't started dosing yet been waiting for my Alk to drop to start dosing the 4 part Triton solution.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vanadium and Nickel are common plating materials as well as being used to create mild steels. I'd check for rusty screws etc. But as Lithium is also high, also check your RO system and DI pods. Another source could be salt.

+1 on Randy's comments about Antimony. That's a new one on me!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vanadium and Nickel are common plating materials as well as being used to create mild steels. I'd check for rusty screws etc. But as Lithium is also high, also check your RO system and DI pods. Another source could be salt.

What's strange is the tank is practically brand new, I don't know what could be rusting.

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had been leaving my flipper blade underwater for quite some time, I wonder if the coating on this could have been corroding

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's strange is the tank is practically brand new, I don't know what could be rusting.

I would do some water changes and see what impact it has on the levels. If they stay constant, then I would suggest it’s salt or RO contamination.

If they increase then it’s likely corrosion or could still be contamination (did you use any screws to mount stuff that could have fallen in the sump?).

If it drops off and stays low, then it could be surface contamination such as plasticisers, stabilisers etc.

This presumed that you haven’t been dosing anything.

I had been leaving my flipper blade underwater for quite some time, I wonder if the coating on this could have been corroding

To put your mind at ease, Mine has been fine, it was in the tank for 3 years lol. You would see rust all over it

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do some water changes and see what impact it has on the levels. If they stay constant, then I would suggest it’s salt or RO contamination.

If they increase then it’s likely corrosion or could still be contamination (did you use any screws to mount stuff that could have fallen in the sump?).

If it drops off and stays low, then it could be surface contamination such as plasticisers, stabilisers etc.

To put your mind at ease, Mine has been fine, it was in the tank for 3 years lol. You would see rust all over it

Thanks for the input, I definitely think I figured it out last night. I have a stainless steel temperature contorller probe that had been sitting in the water. I pulled it out last night and covered it in silicone. I think that's where the nickel and other elements are coming from. I'm gonna do some water changes and see if I can get the numbers down.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I definitely think I figured it out last night. I have a stainless steel temperature contorller probe that had been sitting in the water. I pulled it out last night and covered it in silicone. I think that's where the nickel and other elements are coming from. I'm gonna do some water changes and see if I can get the numbers down.

Hmmm.... I kind of doubtful on that. Surely it would be corroding and you would see this on the probe?

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... I kind of doubtful on that. Surely it would be corroding and you would see this on the probe?

I was reading some articles that said the probe leaches things into the water, it's the only place that I can think the contamination would be coming from. Any other ideas?

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading some articles that said the probe leaches things into the water, it's the only place that I can think the contamination would be coming from. Any other ideas?

Yup, scroll up :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back