Triton sump - Trigger or Synergy Reef?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Steve P, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Steve P

Steve P Active Member

I'm looking to, eventually, run a 180 gallon by Triton method. The only sumps currently available to run the Triton method that I know of are Trigger Systems Triton44 and Synergy Reef TS-44.

They both seem to be very well made and thought out designs. I'm leaning more towards the Synergy as it is slightly larger and also has 1.5" bulkheads.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion on these or if there is another manufacturer i'm missing.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. Steve P

Steve P Active Member

Do you think the bulkheads on the Trigger could be easily reworked to 1.5"?

3. Brian Bieger

Brian Bieger Well-Known Member

if you have access to a table saw I would definately just build your own sump and save save hundred dollars...

But at any rate, it should be easy to make the bulkhead bigger you just need to drill them out.

If you decide to do that, run the hole saw in reverse!! That way the teeth won't grab and throw the hole saw out of position. (because you won't be able to use the bit that holds the hole saw in place because your making a large hole larger

4. mixer911

mixer911 Make them green with envy R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor MTRCMember

Our TS44 would be great for your 180. The 1.5" drains are essential getting the higher flow rates required by the Triton method. Also as you mentioned ours is larger with the 18 x 18 dimensions giving you a larger refugium and more overall space.

5. flex13

flex13 Active Member

My vote goes to Synergy, because I ordered one so I am being biased :)
    I know its more expensive than building one but there is no way it will look that good.

1st - Performance - both sump will do Triton perfect
    2nd - Material Quality - Synergy
    3rd - How it looks - for me Synergy

mixer911 and Steve P like this.
  6. Steve P

Steve P Active Member

I also came into the search a little biased toward Synergy, but I was (and still am) willing to look at other sumps...there just aren't enough out there to compete in the Triton method. And building one, for me, is out of the question.

I also decided to scale back on my build to a 150 gal so there should be even greater coverage on turnover with either sump.

flex13 likes this.
  7. drtrash

drtrash Well-Known Member

Synergy needs a 34 gal sump

8. BigBearMD

BigBearMD Active Member

I ordered the Trigger 44 for my 180 Planet Aquarium build.

I looked at them both and decided that I’m very happy with my current Trigger systems sump on another tank.

9. Jamie7907

Jamie7907 Well-Known Member

Synergy are better quality sumps then trigger. Trigger look pretty in pictures but when you have the two side by side it’s very easy to tell the difference in craftsmanship and build quality.

mixer911 likes this.
  10. drtrash

My bad, they do have a 34, skimmer section is small but good design

11. Brian Bieger

just curios, how much was it?

12. joe berkman

joe berkman Member

I got a trigger 44 for black fri and it's beautiful. However if I had the space and the budget I would have preferred the synergy if only for the extra skimmer space, The trigger really limits your skimmer options. I modified my vertex to squeeze it in. As soon as my funds allow jeff at life reef said he'd fab me one with blue acrylic plates and pvc

13. Steve P

Steve P Active Member

The shipping on the Synergy is pretty steep. As far as I know, it's only available direct, right? At least with the Trigger, you can get that from BRS with free shipping.

14. Brian Bieger

for how much they are charging if the market ever goes south i will start making sumps...

15. Steve P

Steve P Active Member

16. Brian Bieger

$750!!! lol.

classic

sneub likes this.
  17. joe berkman

joe berkman Member

I came close to building my own, had it all drawn, found an acrylic shop to sell me scraps " Craig's list" read the awesome thread here on acrylic Fab . I've heat formed and machined acrylic in the past just never glued it, at least not to itself. In the end I'd rather start with something smaller and less likely to flood the apartment bellow me like dosing containers and I value my time a lot more than the few hundred dollars I'd save

18. drtrash

Very surprised how small the skimmer sections are, imo should not be less than 10", alot of good skimmers on market, 1 less than 9" choice goes down fast, synergy is respectable in size but not sure vertex, bubble king, deltec... will fit

19. joe berkman

joe berkman Member

I really wanted an omega 180 but it's just not an option.misses by 1/4". reef 2 land can order custom trigger sumps they quoted me around $700 for custom color and expanded skimmer section.

20. Steve P

Steve P Active Member

I went ahead and jumped the gun on a Reef Octopus 202-S without checking the footprint...:mad: I hate having to make returns...

Draft saved Draft deleted