Triton sump - Trigger or Synergy Reef?

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wire not cleaned up yet. It started out a little loud because of the waterfall from the fuge but after some time adjusting between the baffles i ended up with 2 much quieter waterfalls. There's even enough volume in the return chamber that the level in the skimmer chamber stays constant during feed shutdown so far so good. I know it's not as nice as the synergy but for my budget and space I'm happy.

Jon Coleman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Triton 44 and it comes with 3 1” bulkheads already installed and a blank plate in case you decided to go with 1.5”. IMO for the money the Triton is the way to go. The skimmer section is not the biggest but does the job. I’m running the quantum 160 and have plenty of space left in it.

OP
OP
Steve P

Steve P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe what skimmer did you end up with?

I had a chance to get a Trigger factory second for around $350 but the skimmer section was even smaller than the standard. I've gone back and forth between Trigger and Synergy. As much as I like the cost of the Trigger, I value the real estate offered by Synergy.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coworker gave me an old vertex IN I don't know what size but the cup is about 8" in diameters. It didn't fit at first but I fabricated a fitting to offset the pump and squished it In. It's already making beautiful stinkiny fish kaka.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
As you can see I just didn't have the space

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the drop in dimensions of skimmer section? Factory data overlookes trim not allowing a skimmer to drop in. Skimmer section should be a clean square section of the fuge

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where the industry and consumer dont align but skimmers dont seem to fit average sumps size unless you jump up to a 44" sump

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0479.JPG
Just installed my life reef skimmer, fits perfect. I am getting alge growth in the return section before the fuge. Perhaps my lights to big

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup about 29" tall it's a tight fit with the plumbing where it is. I'm doing this upgrade in preparation for a new tank(some day) at which point I'll replace all the plumbing

Heuey51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all should look into crystal reef aquatics for a sump mine is perfect with free shipping.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heuey, feedback on aquatics sump? Pics look good how is finish, how come fuge area is not blacked out? How would you clean that overflow section?

Heuey51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice lead, thanks. Here's the link.

How long have you had yours? It seems like it has all the 'bells and whistles'. Does it come with a cover?
I'll snap some pictures tomorrow. I don't have my tank up and running yet so o can't comment on function but fit and finish is awesome, and customer service is awesome. Free shipping on everything but the 60inch model and everything is included. I'm sure they would make you covers.

Heuey51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heuey, feedback on aquatics sump? Pics look good how is finish, how come fuge area is not blacked out? How would you clean that overflow section?
I gave them feedback on the overflow section and the fuge section. Mine is an early model and they asked for feedback. I ordered and had the sump in 9 days

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back