Triton Sumps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope there is a Ruby Sump 30 - Trigger Systems in a Triton configuration being made... know anything about that Randy? I'll be waiting patiently for it to show on the BRS site.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope there is a Ruby Sump 30 - Trigger Systems in a Triton configuration being made... know anything about that Randy? I'll be waiting patiently for it to show on the BRS site.

Not exactly sure on the full line up of colors and sizes just yet, but they should be hitting the sign very soon! :)

dpstrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also eagerly awaiting the triton sumps. One question though, I've had my sump fed directly from my drain before with no filter sock, and I always got a lot of detritus build up in the sump and it was a pain to clean. Is that actually a good thing (for pods or macro nutrients)? Also I found it very hard to get chaeto to tumble in this config, any pointers there?

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also eagerly awaiting the triton sumps. One question though, I've had my sump fed directly from my drain before with no filter sock, and I always got a lot of detritus build up in the sump and it was a pain to clean. Is that actually a good thing (for pods or macro nutrients)? Also I found it very hard to get chaeto to tumble in this config, any pointers there?

Hey there!

A well lit and good flow through a refugium should be more than capable to remove nutrients from the tank, even if those nutrients are coming from the detritus being trapped in that chamber and breaking down. We are experiencing this on the BRS160, which has been testing on the HACH at undetectable Nitrates and Phophates and we do not use filter socks. Also, we found that you don't necessarily need to "tumble" the chaeto for it to be effective. Now, and before the switch to Triton, our refugium chamber was packed full with chaeto and had no room to come close to tumbling. However, we did have a powerhead under the algae mass to help keep the water from becoming stagnant. :)

-Randy

chef choy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
building a sump is nice, but I really like a commercially designed one......

chef choy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
randy, do you guys recommend keeping any type of clean up crew in the fuge? I have about a 4 in sand bed in there at the moment and just some red macro.

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found in my 'frug that a cleanup crew eats at either the roots, stems or leaves of the mixed plants that are in there and make a mess. Emerald crabs were the worst, other than large Turbo's, snails should be OK. Triton recommends a mixed number of plants and not just one or two types.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
randy, do you guys recommend keeping any type of clean up crew in the fuge? I have about a 4 in sand bed in there at the moment and just some red macro.

I'd have to say that I agree with @Oberst Oswald on the CUC in there. If we had a sand bed in our fuge, I'd probably opt for something like nassarius snails to burrow in the sand. I would also be tempted to add one or two scarlet or blue legged hermits, but not without keeping an eye on them. Our fuge is so large, I doubt a couple would cause significant issues and they are great cleanup for some wasted food and maybe some detritus.

We recently added a small bit of Gracilaria and Ulva to the fuge for a little bit of diversity. So far, the tangs do not like to eat either! :p

-Randy

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter if refug is in the 1 st chamber or can it be in middle? Will it still work?

Triton does recommend that the refugium come before the skimmer chamber, but I honestly doubt that having them reversed is going to be a deal breaker. If that were the only way I could set up my system, I would be sure to dose my 1, 2, 3a and 3b in the return pump section or the baffle between the refugium and the return pump. :)

-Randy

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS Do you think Trigger will ever come up with a Triton sump that can be used in a RSR 250.

Hey there,

Although I don't see them mass producing one for each of the various Red Sea tanks, I do know first hand that they can customize one for you! I had them customize an Emerald26 to be wider in all chambers to accommodate my specific skimmer. I want to say that it wasn't much more than the retail price and it worked perfectly! :)

-Randy

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton does recommend that the refugium come before the skimmer chamber, but I honestly doubt that having them reversed is going to be a deal breaker. If that were the only way I could set up my system, I would be sure to dose my 1, 2, 3a and 3b in the return pump section or the baffle between the refugium and the return pump. :)

-Randy

Why would you do this? I thought it was recommended to go directly into the fuge

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you do this? I thought it was recommended to go directly into the fuge

Yep, that is definitely what they recommend and is absolutely what you want to try and achieve. :) However, if there were no possible way to have it drain that way someone could attempt to put the skimmer first then the fuge. Unfortunately there's not much, if any, info out there that shows how less efficient this setup would be, so at this point it's mostly speculation that it would work as well as having the chaeto first.

In all cases though, I would make every attempt to arrange my sump to meet the recommendations of the Triton Method. :)

-Randy

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I should have explained a little better. I meant putting the additives into the return chamber and not the fuge. Seems like you would still want to drop them into the fuge as they contain elements that help the macro growth. If you drop them into the return you might be looking at an algae outbreak in the tank because those additives would be going into the DT. Mine is set up with the skimmer then fuge but I still drop the 1,2 3a, and 3b into the fuge

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I should have explained a little better. I meant putting the additives into the return chamber and not the fuge. Seems like you would still want to drop them into the fuge as they contain elements that help the macro growth. If you drop them into the return you might be looking at an algae outbreak in the tank because those additives would be going into the DT. Mine is set up with the skimmer then fuge but I still drop the 1,2 3a, and 3b into the fuge

Oh, now I see what you were saying. :) We dose these in the same place we did with our two part on the BRS160, which is between the skimmer and return pump chambers. Honestly, I would imagine that either way is fine so long as it is dosed in a high flow area. Essentially I would say that it's one entire body of water and the corals, fish and macro algae are going to consume any trace/minor/major elements at their own specific metabolism rates.

I personally don't see it as all the elements will be used up at a first come first serve basis and honestly, I don't think there's enough research out there yet to say at what exact rates and what exact elements are used by either a coral, macro algae or even invert. I'd imagine that in most cases, you can dose anywhere in the tank and see the exact same rates of consumption from all trace/minor/major. My guess is that the difference between dosing in the fuge versus the return chamber versus the display is most likely so negligible, that you may not be able to test for it.

The biggest takeaway here, is that we are still dosing Alk/Ca/Mg and we know the properties of them if you dose into a low flow or stagnant area. At these concentrations, dosing to an area without flow may run a higher risk of precipitating. :)

-Randy

Back