Triton Sumps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking sump.

I can't justify paying five bills for a box that will go in a closet, replacing one I already have (a DIY 55g aquarium conversion). If it had been available 6 months ago, I'd probably have one.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking sump.

I can't justify paying five bills for a box that will go in a closet, replacing one I already have (a DIY 55g aquarium conversion). If it had been available 6 months ago, I'd probably have one.

DIY is always a solid option in this hobby (and honestly, sometimes that's half the fun), especially if you're crafty... but it sure is nice having options for those of us who aren't lol :D

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosing lines are STILL in the wrong section

I'll credit them with placing the baffles correctly

Synergy has the dosing lines in the 'crash' box before the refugium seems they have done their homework, however, at almost $900 delivered it's steep that's for sure. I have 2 Synergy sumps already, so I'm kinda partial.
It will be interesting to see how other manufacturers get on board with Triton, it seems to be coming less taboo lately, however, there are still a lot of people in the hobby that think it's a lazy way to get out of water changes.

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So close but so far for me... I can only fit a sump that is 30 inches long. Ruby Sump 30 in a Triton configuration would be nice.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking sumps. I'd like to see how difficult it would be to modify the extra blank plate to take 2-3 drain inputs and also add push connect fittings to does the elements directly in there as well to match up with the newer preferred dosing location from Triton. I'll probably be ordering one this week.

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to convert my old 75 gallon tank into a triton. I should have about a 30 gallon fuge for my 220 gallon display. It will cost about $100 for the glass baffles and the 1/4" acrylic to go on top of the tank for bulkhead.

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9C6586B0-E19F-4E54-B8BA-AF47D846E2E5.jpeg

About half way through my synergy install. Wish I was a master plumber and electrician....
C4DFB0AB-3568-4C87-BCB2-346A99AE8693.jpeg

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, right? In this hobby, you only need to be a chemist, biologist, plumber, electrician... hmm, what am I missing? :D

Beautiful set-up by the way!
Thanks guys. I’m no expert but I’m learning.
I should #tag you guys in the fact I get 90% of my supplies from you guys.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm doing the Triton Method and I'm not following the Triton recommendations for sump layout but it's still working for me and my P and PO4 were below what Triton recommended on my last test.

I have a Red Sea Reefer, the display is about 75 gallons, the sump drains into small chamber then overflows into my skimmer section. Then on to the return pump section. The return pump runs a manifold which feeds a 2.5 gallon refugium and a pax bellum algea reactor which both them empty into the skimmer section again.

Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 8.19.49 AM.png

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B1908ACA-9332-4853-99DE-DBCB8B5559A6.jpeg 243285E1-57FD-4ACB-BD9A-DFFC6E1C7678.jpeg
I have a RSR 250 with the stock sump. I made my fuge with egg crate and plastic canvas. Rock rumble in the bottom, Cheeto, dragon’s breath and now some red mangroves (going to put them in DT eventually). Kessil Tuna Flora and a current EFlux 1050 gph return on full. Managing nutrient well. Time to cull the Chaeto soon as well. Socks go in only when I want to polish things up and only stay 4 hrs or so.

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my refugium after my skimmer. I didn’t notice a difference.
I believe the point of the refugium 1st and dosing the elements into the refugium is triton uses the algae as a catalyst for the method. Kinda like not putting premium in a Ferrari. If you going to run the system I don’t know why you wouldn’t do what they recommend.
Since running a true triton Sump. I’ve noticed my algae grow thicker and my skimmer is pulling thicker skim. Still negligible nutrients.
So is it the sump design well if we believe the science behind the system then I’d have to say the sump works.

kavatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question, I currently have a 150gallon main display and my sump is the trigger emerald sump 39 I did swap out the first section and made it my refugium and my BBK skimmer fit perfect in the “refugium section” on this sump however I don’t think my refugium section is big enough to obtain the 10-15% triton recommends. Any one think this amount will be ok with?

I’m asking cause I’ve been thinking of using an old Trigger ruby36 and joining it with the Trigger emerald 39 at both return ends on the sumps and have one drain from my 150 go to each sump.
And making the ruby just a fuge itself and have the first section as a fuge on the emerald as well.

Or should I just use an old 55 gallon tank and convert it to a sump.

But I really like the idea of joining the triggers together but idk if this will work.

#BRS For the pics and the sumps!

8AFBDA79-F6E8-46BD-BECD-FCE2E4D71B13.jpeg

9ADD25BE-620C-4E5A-92E1-2AAF0AB60FEC.jpeg

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kavatica, you'll want 15-30 gallons of usable algae refugium volume that gets 1500gph flow. IMO this would be easier to achieve with a single sump, rather than two joined sumps.

Newbie2salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... Interesting topic to bring up! ;) Let's see what happens in the near future! :D

-Randy
Almost one year later and I find myself looking for a complete setup of a sump. I just want a all in one kit. I need sump, im looking at Synergy Reef TS-44 sump, Neptune Systems New APEX Wi-Fi Controller System, skimmer, return pump, and maybe most importantly everything you need to cycle, start, and seed a healthy refugium. I hate bouncing around for my 50 open tabs going over who has what. Cost is just a number I would love just to buy a full package deal and be done with it. Someone go buy everything add a $100 for your time and sell it all to me. Lol
Edit: I'm fairly new to salt water (6months) and fell in love with my 30gallon that I bought a 50, however that's not big enough either so I've been trolling the web in search of a 150 gallon tank as well.

Last edited:

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost one year later and I find myself looking for a complete setup of a sump. I just want a all in one kit. I need sump, im looking at Synergy Reef TS-44 sump, Neptune Systems New APEX Wi-Fi Controller System, skimmer, return pump, and maybe most importantly everything you need to cycle, start, and seed a healthy refugium. I hate bouncing around for my 50 open tabs going over who has what. Cost is just a number I would love just to buy a full package deal and be done with it. Someone go buy everything add a $100 for your time and sell it all to me. Lol
Edit: I'm fairly new to salt water (6months) and fell in love with my 30gallon that I bought a 50. However, that's not big enough either so I've been trolling the web in search of a 150-gallon tank as well.
SCA Aquariums for a 150 Steve is a great guy to deal with, and I see a lot of his tanks. I have one. As far as a one-stop shop the guys at #Bulkreefsupply got you-you can call them and give them your card over the phone, and they will help you spend it they never have an issue taking my money and I've never had an issue customer service is great. Skimz has a great line I've been happy with, and I love my Synergy TS-44.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: I'm fairly new to salt water (6months) and fell in love with my 30gallon that I bought a 50, however that's not big enough either so I've been trolling the web in search of a 150 gallon tank as well.

We can help you select items, if that's the hold up. Are there pieces we don't have that you're having trouble finding/picking?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back