Triton Sumps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one makes a ready-made sump that you can buy that is designed for the Full Triton method. Other than going custom, which is very expensive, or do-it-yourself will BRS commission a vender to supply one for BRS to sell? Maybe Trigger Systems? If you do, for a fast sale, I would like one 30"L x 14"W x 16"H.

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you could find some place to build one for you. That being said, sumps are really not that hard to build and it's an area you can save a significant amount of cash. I built triton sump out of a 40g breeder (bought at the dollar a gallon sale) and 3 baffles ($25ish) were bought from a glass shop.

20170220_205005.jpg

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36" tank but the stand limits me to a max 30" long sump. I can build one from a glass 20 gallon long tank no problem but that will be smaller than I want and smaller that the sump I have which is the size above. Even with the sump I have it is crowded with stuff... rocks in 1st chamber, 'frug in 2nd chamber, skimmer, chiller pump, reactor pump, 2 heaters and a flow pump in 3rd chamber, 4th chamber holds the return pump and ATO switch. If there was a Petco tank close to the size I want I probably would of bought it by now. Of course I could go custom like this one https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/triton-method-sump-for-sale-in-houston.305459/

but I don't want to pay $1000.00+ and design it myself and be stuck with any mistakes I made. Bubble traps, adjustable water heights and other little issues I would like to be taken care of by somebody who is experienced in the design of Triton sumps. I'm working 12hours 4 days a week with an hours drive each way. Have money but no time. The sump I have works OK so there is no hurry to get something but would be nice if you could just buy a quality made plexiglass Triton sump from Eshopps or someplace like that that has engineers to design it or figure out something better for about 3 or 4 hundred dollars. Since BRS is now selling Triton and they ask for feed back on products wanted or something new to sell I wonder if they are coming up with an idea or two on sumps. Its true your DIY sump will get the job done but I would prefer a commercially built product without spending the big bucks for custom. I'm sure there will be others, now that BRS is selling Triton, that will be in the same position as me as Triton becomes more popular with time. Since 36" long display tanks are common I think the sump size I want would be a good size to be made commercially. Thanks for reply and showing a picture of your sump. It is already a different and improved design than just two plates of glass. Anyway if other people have Triton sumps lets see them and give BRS some ideas...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what happen with the link but can someone that operates the forum fix that...

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald sumps seem to have a good layout for triton. They have skimmer section, and a refugium section as well.

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Emerald sumps have the skimmer section 1st and the 'frug 2nd which is not ideal for Triton. 'frug>skimmer>return pump

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Eshopps R-200 Refugium sump under my tank. It is OK for Triton but not exactly 1oo% correct. The 'frug section is rather small which is the 2nd chamber. I use the 1st chamber, that holds the sock, and filled it 1/2 way with rock. I had a light over that section too but it grew hair algae and took nutrients from the 'frug section so it became like two seperate refugiums. But the real problem with this sump in the section where the return pump goes. It is very small, in the back and you need a pump the size of a 700 MAG drive which I have. I want a DC pump that has more flow that will give me the 10 times water turnover. In other words I want a perfect Triton sump. Thanks for replies everyone.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is your budget for the sump? I thought the triton method was just a refugium with ridiculous amount of flow! If so you need to focus on having large drain pipes for your overflow..Goodluck

Reef Therapist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the dimensions of your DT are going to limit the size of your fuge. This was the main reason I upgraded from a cube tank to a 4 foot tank. I didn't go up much in gallons but was able to do a proper size sump. Any option to have a remote fuge? like in a basement or even in a cabinet next to the tank. Another option is the CPR aquafuge2. I had one on a 20gal reef tank, it was effective but not ideal.

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The triton recommendations are just guidelines. I don't have 10x turnover in my sump and my cheato bed is huge. If I could add more fuge space I would but with my current setup, it's not available.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too looked for some time for the right sump for my new Triton system... and ended up gluing a few baffles into a 55g tank. Doesn't look as good as a nice acrylic sump, but it works just fine. The closet housing my sump is long and narrow, the 55 fit in there pretty well. That's 4 liters of Matrix and a few hunks of live rock, and my initial handful of C. Mexicana a friend donated to get it started. I'll be adding a few more varieties of macro algae soon. Lighting is a 2x 24" T5 I picked up on Amazon for under $50. Dosing tube mount is from Printed Reef Solutions... good stuff. Love the Vertex skimmer, makes my old SRO skimmer look like junk, and I was always happy with it when I had it.

Excuse the brown film... tank just finished initial break in. I'll get it under control.

Note the three half inch holes below water level into the skimmer section. I added those when initial testing demonstrated a bit more waterfall noise than I was prepared to accept. Long drop from fuge to skimmer... Didn't want to reduce the capacity of the fuge, and didn't want to raise the level in the skimmer section... a few holes did the trick.

Sump073117.jpg

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one makes a ready-made sump that you can buy that is designed for the Full Triton method. Other than going custom, which is very expensive, or do-it-yourself will BRS commission a vender to supply one for BRS to sell? Maybe Trigger Systems? If you do, for a fast sale, I would like one 30"L x 14"W x 16"H.

Hmm... Interesting topic to bring up! ;) Let's see what happens in the near future! :D

-Randy

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about an oversized stand? Go a bit bigger and you can stick a 40B under there. Having a ledge around the tank on the top is really nice when you are feeding/cleaning/testing too.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about an oversized stand? Go a bit bigger and you can stick a 40B under there. Having a ledge around the tank on the top is really nice when you are feeding/cleaning/testing too.

My last tank, a 60 cube, had a 7" 'shelf' all the way 'round it. Allowed a much larger, less cramped, area for support equipment under the tank.

My new one also has a shelf... 9" this time, even though there is no equipment under the tank. I liked the 'shelf' so well on the last tank, I incorporated it into this one, even knowing I was going to put the sump in a closet behind the tank. Worked out very well so far.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make one. Buy a tank the size that you want. Find a local glass shop and tell them what size 1/4" glass pieces to cut you. They can do it no problem. Designed it all yourself. It's cheap and better then store bought sumps because you can lay it out as you see fit. I actually have the means and ability to make tanks, but haven't only because shipping is too costly, and I don't think it would take off locally.

70 gal tank, $200 invested because I bought the tank itself.

IMG_6542.JPG

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I wish I had the room you have. I'm maxed out in my little area and can not
Sump 1.JPG
'frug 1.JPG
fit anything bigger. Since I just learned Sunday how to work my camera and post pictures, even though they didn't come out that well, I'll spam the forum with some of my shots...

Sump 2.JPG

Tank 5.JPG

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do appreciate having my stuff plumbed in the basement with room. Your sump may be tight but it looks organized. Bigger may be easier, but do you really need something bigger?

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... I really want something better. I kind of want a "real" Triton Full Method sump like d2mini's without going custom. Working lots of overtime (20hrs OT per week night shift) for the next 3 months so I don't have the time to design nor want to pay over $1000+ (probably will if I have too) on a sump. The biggest store bought glass tank that I can fit is a 20 gallon long which is smaller then I have now. Basically what I'm trying do on this thread is to "get the wheels greased" for some sump manufacturer to make Triton sumps commercially available so they can just whip out the wallet, buy one and be successful with Triton and have the least amount of hassle.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... I really want something better. I kind of want a "real" Triton Full Method sump like d2mini's without going custom. Working lots of overtime (20hrs OT per week night shift) for the next 3 months so I don't have the time to design nor want to pay over $1000+ (probably will if I have too) on a sump. The biggest store bought glass tank that I can fit is a 20 gallon long which is smaller then I have now. Basically what I'm trying do on this thread is to "get the wheels greased" for some sump manufacturer to make Triton sumps commercially available so they can just whip out the wallet, buy one and be successful with Triton and have the least amount of hassle.

Hmmmm... A non-custom Triton-specific sump design, readily available on a reef gear website... ?? ;) I wonder what the future holds for this concept. :p

-Randy

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back