Triton Testing Poll: Tin vs PVC

If you have used the Triton testing method, do you have elevated tin and do you use rigid PVC?

• I have no elevated tin and have some rigid PVC pipes that are less than 3 years old

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • I have no elevated tin and have some rigid PVC pipes, but all are more than than 3 years old

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I have ELEVATED tin and have some rigid PVC pipes that are less than 3 years old

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • I have ELEVATED tin and have some rigid PVC pipes that are more than 3 years old

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • I have ELEVATED tin and have no rigid PVC pipes

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I have no elevated tin and have no rigid PVC pipes

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Grant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exposed washers in my sump and they are possibly tin washers. I've covered them with tape. Once I change my cabinet hinges as well, hopefully after several regular large water changes the tin will be at the lower level.

Grant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction: washers in the cabinet. Not directly over the sump, but possibly flakes falling in.

reefkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have elevated Tin (2.56) and Lead( 8.45). I don't have any hose clamps in the water at all. Could these metals be in the calcium hydroxide used for kalkwater?

gregoryleonard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I don't know what will remove tin, and am not even sure what form the tin is in to figure it out.

Organisms such as Caulerpa and Xenia will take up tin, as in this study:

Down the Drain, Exports from Reef Aquaria by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Let's calculate how much:

Let's say you have 100 gallons (378 liters) of water volume and 10 ug/L of tin. That's 3.8 mg of tin.

Caulerpa contains about 0.7 mg/kg of tin.

So to remove half of that tin would require 2.7 kilograms (wet weight) of caulerpa.

That's a lot of macroalgae, but it may be useful if you export a lot.
Thanks Randy,
So if I read this study correctly. Skim mate also removes about 1/2 as much as Caulerpa, so If I have a 300 gal total system water volume (all tied together) am I correct in calculating that I would need about .9 Kg of caulerpa? Your calculations were based on 100 gallons at a concentration of 10 ug/L, so I have 3.8 mg of Tin per 300 gallons of water. Am I figuring that out correctly. So Chaeto and red grape algae won't remove Tin? just Caulerpa?
I have some Chaeto and Red grape macro algae coming this week, and I am doing a 15% wc each week over the next 4 weeks as directed by Triton using reef crystals, after that I will send another sample to Triton to see if what my readings are. So the Macro algae will have 3 weeks to grow and absorb anything it can take up during that period. I will interested to see what the 4 water changes and the other corrections I am putting in effect will have on the concentration levels of Sn, B, and Br and Li, as they all were in the red on my first test.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue but will follow as I will start the triton test soon.
I have some rigid on my drains but straight sch40 on the rest of the plumbing.
Thanks Randy for making this aware to us.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my results and voted. I have no tin detected and have hard PVC (roughly 24') running through my 215-gallon tank that I setup at the beginning of this year.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy,
So if I read this study correctly. Skim mate also removes about 1/2 as much as Caulerpa, so If I have a 300 gal total system water volume (all tied together) am I correct in calculating that I would need about .9 Kg of caulerpa? Your calculations were based on 100 gallons at a concentration of 10 ug/L, so I have 3.8 mg of Tin per 300 gallons of water. Am I figuring that out correctly. So Chaeto and red grape algae won't remove Tin? just Caulerpa?
I have some Chaeto and Red grape macro algae coming this week, and I am doing a 15% wc each week over the next 4 weeks as directed by Triton using reef crystals, after that I will send another sample to Triton to see if what my readings are. So the Macro algae will have 3 weeks to grow and absorb anything it can take up during that period. I will interested to see what the 4 water changes and the other corrections I am putting in effect will have on the concentration levels of Sn, B, and Br and Li, as they all were in the red on my first test.

I just do not have values for any of the other types of macroalgae. They likely take it up as well, but I'm not sure exactly how much.

Skimmate does contain tin, but calculating values for it seems fruitless to me since little adjustments change how much water vs solids it contains. Also, in that article, it had only about twice the tin as the tank water itself. So collecting 1 gallon of skimmate may be no better than doing a 2 gallon water change with a low tin salt mix. That may be a bit complicated to actually calculate, however, since it averages multiple tanks with different tin levels, but IMO it shows that skimmate is not a huge exporter.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have elevated Tin (2.56) and Lead( 8.45). I don't have any hose clamps in the water at all. Could these metals be in the calcium hydroxide used for kalkwater?

Might be. It can be in many things. There is lead in some brands of CaCO3/CO2 reactor media, for example.

But the data I have suggests lead is very low in food grade calcium hydroxide. I use BRS calcium hydroxide for all of my calcium and alkalinity, and I do not have elevated levels of either lead or tin.

I discuss metals in various sources, including limewater, here:

Chemistry And The Aquarium: Metals In Limewater ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Reef Aquaria with Low Soluble Metals by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for doing this Randy.

I am guessing that the majority of people with a sump have rigid pvc? The risers for the overflow, 90s, Ts for durso, gate valves and ball valves etc.

I have old and new PVC in my build personally but I voted for 3 years or less since I probably have more of that.

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 3 years old. Hard and soft PVC used. Also, I have Stainless steel clamps on some of the piping(underwater)
My Sn is 0
doc_Page_1.jpg

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have high Tin and 6 month old SCH80 piping

Reeferdavemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my lab test back today and the Tin reading is a whopping 23.66!! I had some garbage hose clamps on there but changed them out a month ago so I. Hoping that was the problem.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be a difference between PVC and CPVC?

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got my test results and my tin level is 16.17. have we determined at what level does tin become harmful to livestock? I am considering using Triton's detox and see if that removes the tin. I also have very high lithium levels.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got my test results and my tin level is 16.17. have we determined at what level does tin become harmful to livestock? I am considering using Triton's detox and see if that removes the tin. I also have very high lithium levels.

No, sorry. I do not know the level to become especially concerned.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Less than 3 years and no tin. But to be honest I just assume the pvc your talking about is normal home depot pvc for drain piping, which is what I used. I have returns and drains all hard piped as well as a separate ATS. I have a ton of big Macro algae, well half of a 55g full however much you think that might be. Mostly feather type caulerpa, but a bunch of red grape. I don't know how much it would export though because I generally feed it back to the tangs in my display.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back