Triton Testing Poll: Tin vs PVC

If you have used the Triton testing method, do you have elevated tin and do you use rigid PVC?

• I have no elevated tin and have some rigid PVC pipes that are less than 3 years old

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • I have no elevated tin and have some rigid PVC pipes, but all are more than than 3 years old

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I have ELEVATED tin and have some rigid PVC pipes that are less than 3 years old

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • I have ELEVATED tin and have some rigid PVC pipes that are more than 3 years old

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • I have ELEVATED tin and have no rigid PVC pipes

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I have no elevated tin and have no rigid PVC pipes

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

OceanL0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s triton contamination. I did two of these just 3 months apart. My first result was near zero and my most recent one is high. I’ll send another in a few months to see again. Tank looks good so im not worried at this point

kaigoss69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just voted on this old poll. My triton trust came back 5.96 mg/L Tin (Sn). I used rigid PVC for my plumbing. Corals have been growing slowly, even had some die. No other red flags from the analysis. Time for a water change...

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "Defense Technical Information Center", a branch of the United States Department of Defense, published "Biological Report 85(1.15)" in January 1989 (Link: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a322822.pdf) wherein it is stated: "Tributyltin compounds are especially toxic to aquatic organisms. Adverse effects were noted at concentrations of 0.001 to 0.06 ug/L on molluscs and at 0.1 to 1.0 ug/L on algae, fish, and crustaceans."

Another document from the same agency entitled "Organic and Organotin Compounds Leached from PVC and CPVC Pipe" by E. Boettner (http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a303717.pdf) examines PVC leaching of organotin. Leaching decreased markedly over a three week period.

As Randy mentioned, we don't know what form of tin we're dealing with. Inorganic tin would presumably be far less toxic.

Randy, would UV treatment of water accelerate the breakdown of organotins into inorganics?

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
My ATI test results came back with high tin. Although this thread is specifically asking about Triton.

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How accurate are the Triton tests? In my earlier post, I'd mentioned that levels of Sn as low as 0.001 ug/L (one part per trillion) might cause problems. Sample Triton results I've seen only measure ug/L to two decimal places. I'm setting up a tank ONLY for gastropods, and I'm getting worried about this. The only sources of tin that I know of will (possibly) be that which has adhered to the glass and the PVC in my Reef Octopus protein skimmer. Of course, there might be other sources that I don't know about.

Regardless of what possible sources there might be, they are irrelevant if they don't contribute anything. Whether or not any tin is contributed to the water by anything in toxic levels might be impossible to tell, if tests aren't accurate enough.

So, all this brings me to the important question, DOES ANYONE OFFER A TEST THAT CAN DETECT TIN TO 1 PPT?

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by the curator of the Great Barrier Reef Aquarium, Townsville, that the pvc tubs used for the old algae turf farm leached toxins into the water.
I don't know exactly what, but I believe it could have been primarily the result from UV breakdown from full sunlight.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup has more than 30-40 meters of plumbing mostly 1-1.5 inch connecting multiple tanks to sump... I don't believe Triton testing is wrong as my fresh mixed water always tested 0 for tin. Another standalone tank I have in another home tests at 0 as well. Also tin readings are inline with changes expected when doing heavy water changes or using heavy metal removing material. Plumbing is 4-5 years old but I've added some more plumbing couple years back. My results have varied between 3 and 21 microgram per litre. I have done thoudands of litres of water changes sometimes 2-3 thousands per week when I had issues with phosphates or once with copper and used a lot of heavy metal removers and am surprised I still get tin. The plumbing is the most likely culprit as I don't have much metal above tanks. Mybtank has had many ups and downs and I get frequent stn or couple corals not looking happy and while I don't blame it on tin alone in.sure it contributes to stressing corals maybe. Would be great if we could have some scientific experiment around this with multiple tanks setup with carrying amount of plumbing and periodic testing.
IMAG8751.jpg
IMAG8750.jpg
IMAG8752.jpg
IMAG8755.jpg
IMAG8754.jpg
IMAG8751.jpg
1:ni
IMAG8750.jpg
IMAG8752.jpg
IMAG8755.jpg
IMAG8753.jpg
IMAG8754.jpg
IMAG8755.jpg
IMAG8752.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back