Tropic Marin All-for-Reef Cystallization?

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've been using a 1L bottle of All-for-Reef and haven't had any issues. However, recently I've noticed clear crystals forming at the bottom of my dosing container. I've never mixed anything with this solution and I am worried that the crystallization is messing up the concentrations of the elements. Does anyone know what this is?

I've contacted Tropic Marin but haven't heard back.

Thanks in advance.

WeChat Image_20201026124825.jpg

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used pre mixed as well as mixed my own all-for-reef and haven’t seen this type of crystallization either. I read somewhere that some AFR users have seen precipitate and after resuspending or shaking the precipitate will dissolve back in solution.

Another thought, wondering if there may be humidity or maybe some splashed liquid somehow making its way into dosing chamber, throwing off concentration. Just a thought?

U

User1

View Badges
I'm in the mixer crowd and while not crystallization per say I do have a residue. I believe in the BRS thread a few of us replied that there is a cloudy residue white, rust, or similar buildup on the bottom. Ironically enough this last batch I made about two weeks ago is clear. Not sure but it mixed well.

Now if we want to talk about the possibility of cyno as a byproduct of dosing TMAFR that I'm open with :) Probably not related but boy ever since using the product two things I've noticed:

1. Crazy coral growth
2. Cyno return on a 2 1/2 old tank

I do think cyno though is related to my nyos kit reading 0 on the nitrate chart. But to crystals? No. Not seen it other than the residue I noted above.

sneekapeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently found my doser not pumping all for reef, found a few crystallized balls clog my dosing line not allowing product to go through. Nothing bad happened to inhabitants. But, the product does crystallize somehow. I purchased the ready to use liquid and switching to diy powder in the future to hopefully negate this from happening again. Also will be making smaller batches to ensure I watch my doser more closely! Unfortunately, I can’t comment if the crystallization causes the precipitation of elements. I do know though if your doser doesn’t dose the product than you won’t get any of the benefits ;)!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I can’t comment if the crystallization causes the precipitation of elements

By its very definition, crystallization is precipitation.

I'd suggest diluting the product with RO/DI if this continues to be an issue.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back