Tropic Marin Pro Reef, bye bye

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Brightwell Neomarine and decided to switch to TMP because of their similar profiles. If you are switching, you have the opportunity to assess your maintenance how the salt plays in. I chose Nonmarine/TMP salt profile for three reasons:

1. Low ALK that allows me to dose to hit the target elevated parameters I'm looking for. Although my 1% AWC parameters aren't going to be substantial...it still is in line with my approach to dosing.
2. Mixes very clean and can be used fairly quickly
3. Other parameters are inline with my tank targets

If you are interested in something similar to TMP...I can recommend Neomarine as they really are very similar.

For other salts such as IO RC with already elevated parameters, you may be able to adjust down your dosing. For my previous 34gal tank, I was able to eliminate dosing using IO RC with weekly 20% water changes.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, less cost abs better growth? I’m in!

Don't take that as gospel truth.

Reef Crystals is a high alkalinity blend. TMP is a low alkalinity blend. Depending on your tank's chemistry, either might be appropriate, but you could just as easily end up with the opposite. If your tank is alkalinity-limited, then Reef Crystals probably would help you achieve better growth. In my tank, it would likely push my already-high alkalinity into dangerous levels.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou Ekus from Tropic Marin has said the supply has been there but the demand has gone way up, but BRS posted on facebook yesterday that is was a bottleneck in supply.

Those statements really are not at odds with eachother. From BRS perspective it is a supply issue, because they cant get enough in stock. That very well could be because demand across the industry has really went up and TM cannot make it fast enough to provide the supply that is in demand.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to IO Reef Crystals, slow change of 3 water changes over 3 weeks . Everything is doing great, possibly better to be honest.

I doubt I will ever go back to TMP, to costly and honestly I saw less coral growth with it.
Well you probably did since TMP is low alk and reef crystals is high alk

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO is fine for the vast majority of tanks here and honestly, if your tank has issues depending on the brand of salt used, it’s probably due to a reason completely unrelated to the salt itself that can be fixed with small adjustments to dosing and whatnot during periodical maintenance.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using tropic marine pro for awhile now. But it's hard to get sometimes. So I'm thinking about aquaforest it's probably closer to my parameters. What's y'all thoughts on Aquaforest like or no thanks

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This salt has been a hot topic for a lot longer than a few weeks.

I wouldn't discredit a salt because a couple people on a post from yesterday don't like it. Fritz is a good salt.
Thank you.
I’m on my 17th box of Fritz blue, coming from TMP and RS.
Very consistent, mixes 100% clear in 30 minutes.
Available everywhere.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying I am not the only one. I never have to clean my mixing tank with tropic marin but io and rc all the time even if it is calcium carbonate like randy suggests why would I want to pay for something to just precipitate straight out while mixing. I personally think that it is waste of money if that is the case or it's just impurities in the salt either way I will stick with TM

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying I am not the only one. I never have to clean my mixing tank with tropic marin but io and rc all the time even if it is calcium carbonate like randy suggests why would I want to pay for something to just precipitate straight out while mixing. I personally think that it is waste of money if that is the case or it's just impurities in the salt either way I will stick with TM

A waste of money? It's the cheapest salt mix out there. I get what your saying about impurities, but at the price and availability, just clean your container. :cool:

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A waste of money? It's the cheapest salt mix out there. I get what your saying about impurities, but at the price and availability, just clean your container. :cool:
I get what you're saying but if you are using straight IO I will agree but if you are using RC not the case. For a couple extra cents rather have a better salt for the money

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-174214.png
    Screenshot_20210226-174214.png
    527.8 KB · Views: 237

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you're saying but if you are using straight IO I will agree but if you are using RC not the case. For a couple extra cents rather have a better salt for the money
But what makes TMP better?
What do they add, or not add that makes the salt worth twice the price?
Will my corals be healthier and more colorful or more extension?
I would try it again if I knew what I was paying for, not just marketing.....

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind backing up your statement? I've been using it for two years with zero issue.
I agree, hilarious comment, IO salts have provided support for as many successful reefs as any salt around. I’ve been using them for over 40 years.

Last edited:

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what makes TMP better?
What do they add, or not add that makes the salt worth twice the price?
Will my corals be healthier and more colorful or more extension?
I would try it again if I knew what I was paying for, not just marketing.....

Honestly, if you don't see the benefit from TMP, then it's not for you. I'm not being snarky or condescending - I mean that sincerely.

Pretty much any salt mix can support a reef successfully, and IO is head and shoulders cheaper than literally every other mix out there. And any deficiencies that it presents can be overcome with sufficient work or exterior workarounds.

I use Tropic Marin because it mixes faster and clearer, and also because it's a lower alkalinity mix. I already have problems with high alkalinity in my tank, so I need something that mixes lower. It also clumps together less than IO or Fritz. Lastly, there's less variability between batches of Tropic Marin.

Those aren't major issues, and if you don't believe that they justify the higher price over IO, then you're right. We all have our own judgments as to what is 'worth it' or not, and I can't say that you're wrong or that I'm right in our evaluation of the value of Tropic Marin.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if you don't see the benefit from TMP, then it's not for you. I'm not being snarky or condescending - I mean that sincerely.

Pretty much any salt mix can support a reef successfully, and IO is head and shoulders cheaper than literally every other mix out there. And any deficiencies that it presents can be overcome with sufficient work or exterior workarounds.

I use Tropic Marin because it mixes faster and clearer, and also because it's a lower alkalinity mix. I already have problems with high alkalinity in my tank, so I need something that mixes lower. It also clumps together less than IO or Fritz. Lastly, there's less variability between batches of Tropic Marin.

Those aren't major issues, and if you don't believe that they justify the higher price over IO, then you're right. We all have our own judgments as to what is 'worth it' or not, and I can't say that you're wrong or that I'm right in our evaluation of the value of Tropic Marin.
Well said, long time IO user.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back