Trouble cycling

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just started a new saltwater aquarium and I added live rock and a bottle of bio-spira, then added a clownfish as I was instructed to do. She was fine at first but then day 3 came along and she started losing color and rhen died about 3 hours later. Do I need to wait or should I buy another clown or damsel to help start the tank??
IMG_1275.jpeg
20170101_152305.jpeg

xviijdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont buy another fish, If anything just throw in a piece of shrimp
Test the tank for ammonia nitrite and nitrate Until all reach 0 then throw in one or 2 fish then, Cycling with fish is very inhumane (Though it works)

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with adding something like Biospira, you still have at least a few days for the tank to cycle. Definitely don't add more fish until you know the cycle is done...it's hard on them and they often die.
What are your current water parameters?

OP
OP
cody2cannon

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with adding something like Biospira, you still have at least a few days for the tank to cycle. Definitely don't add more fish until you know the cycle is done...it's hard on them and they often die.
What are your current water parameters?
How will I know the cycle is complete?

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to see that the ammonia has been converted to nitrites which have then been converted to nitrates. So after a full cycle, you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and the presence of nitrates.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For nitrates, people run then a different levels...especially depending upon what kind of reef you will be setting up. If you're going for SPS corals, they generally like very clean water with low nitrates (close to 0). Many LPS and softies are also okay with water that clean, but many keep higher nitrates with them...in the range of 5-10.
You need to read up some more on reef chemistry. There are certain ratios of nitrates to phosphates that you should be trying to keep to. Youll also need to be anle to measure ylur salinity with a refractometer and measure your Alk. On top of those, assuming you add corals, you'll need to measure magnesium and calcium as well.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for now, focus on salinity, nitrates, a and ammonia. Then as you progress and want to add more than fish, you'll need to be prepared for measuring your levels and taking actions to fix them through proper dosing or frequent water changes.

OP
OP
cody2cannon

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a refractometer I'm currently steady at 1.026 and I will be adding corals. I will be adding pulsing xenia and frogspawn for sure. Not sure what else just yet. I want 2 clowns and a shrimp and goby pair. Once I have a steady tank with one clown I will add another clown then wait a month before adding the shrimp and goby pair. How long after my cycle is done should I wait to add corals? I'm very patient so I want to do everything right!

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a refractometer I'm currently steady at 1.026 and I will be adding corals. I will be adding pulsing xenia and frogspawn for sure. Not sure what else just yet. I want 2 clowns and a shrimp and goby pair. Once I have a steady tank with one clown I will add another clown then wait a month before adding the shrimp and goby pair. How long after my cycle is done should I wait to add corals? I'm very patient so I want to do everything right!
Better off adding the 2 clowns at the same time.. less likely to become territorial then adding separately

OP
OP
cody2cannon

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to see that the ammonia has been converted to nitrites which have then been converted to nitrates. So after a full cycle, you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and the presence of nitrates.
So should I add a raw shrimp? I put bio-spira in this tank 1 week ago.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But there are no nitrates. It reads 0.
those are nutrints. if the bio filter is working well and your not adding a lot of food, the bacteria from the cycle consume the nutrints.
Fwiw, sorry. your tank was actually cycling from the start with live sand and live rock. A fish CAN, but Imo, shouldn't be put right in to a brand new batch of salt water. Most likely the fish couldn't handle the stress or was already ill.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
cody2cannon

cody2cannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%

Back