Trouble Deciding Just how Active I should be in the Hobby at This Point in my Life

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to turn my love for the hobby into something I can make money with after I graduate! I'm actually majoring in environmental science right now but would like to pursue a Master's in Marine Biology
What uni are you studying at!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I'm asking for you guys' opinion isn't because I'm looking for someone else to make my decisions for me, I just know that I certainly don't know as much or have the same perspective as many people older and more experienced than me and I value the opinions of those wiser than me

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I'm asking for you guys' opinion isn't because I'm looking for someone else to make my decisions for me, I just know that I certainly don't know as much or have the same perspective as many people older and more experienced than me and I value the opinions of those wiser than me
As others have said, the fact that you're asking the question at all shows maturity. If you love it, do it :)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Every choice we make in life has variables that we don't or can't know at the time. Some decisions work out, some don't. This is the road to experience, which hopefully leads to wisdom.

There is no answer to your question. This is a matter of personal desire.

I would be the last person to try and dissuade you from having a tank, but this hobby can be expensive and time consuming. If you can maintain it, and keep up with your studies, then by all means, go for it... if it becomes a detriment to the larger goal, then it it is time to prioritize.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you have a Reef tank-- have you ever considered going FOWLR? Pretty much I feed fish, top off water, and use a Flipper on my glass every now and then. Period. (Using a skimmer and a UV.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hope is to get my masters in marine biology and be a researcher doing plenty of field work regularly...I know that doesn't make a lot of money but it's what I really enjoy. Right now this hobby puts me as close to that as I can be since I can actually have some of these amazing creatures right in front of me every morning when I wake up. I think maybe I should focus on budgeting my money and putting aside just enough to afford maybe 1 inexpensive coral or fish a month or something like that.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you have a Reef tank-- have you ever considered going FOWLR? Pretty much I feed fish, top off water, and use a Flipper on my glass every now and then. Period. (Using a skimmer and a UV.)
I would but with the fish I'd want to put in there I'd need a really big tank! Also, I already have things like a chiller and SPS grade light so I feel like since I already have the equipment I should put it to use...again, I don't buy really expensive corals or anything like that. The expensive part has been primarily from things like a couple disease outbreaks like velvet a year ago that wiped out my one tank and I ended up having to basically redo the whole tank because I didn't want to take any chances (I saved the inverts and coral of course though)

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember you can always come back to aquariums later and just purley focus on your school. Once you finish school, get your career, you'll feel less financial restraints and be able to jump back into it.
All the best in your school and love of aquarium.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to say what size tank? If you like the bigger fish, maybe pick your favorite— something really cool like a Blue Face or Emperor Angel, and surround it with Damsels and such. Like the one big “pet fish” approach. :)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember you can always come back to aquariums later and just purley focus on your school. Once you finish school, get your career, you'll feel less financial restraints and be able to jump back into it.
All the best in your school and love of aquarium.
That's true and I've thought about that but then again I don't know what my financial situation will be like years from now considering I may have a family. Also, I'm over here in Asia right now and there are some amazing species available over here that you never see in the States and I feel like I might regret not taking advantage of owning some of these rarities (not very expensive either) while I have the opportunity...some of the fish we get over here are hardly ever even imported to the U.S.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true and I've thought about that but then again I don't know what my financial situation will be like years from now considering I may have a family. Also, I'm over here in Asia right now and there are some amazing species available over here that you never see in the States and I feel like I might regret not taking advantage of owning some of these rarities (not very expensive either) while I have the opportunity...some of the fish we get over here are hardly ever even imported to the U.S.
But would you even be able to move the fish you get in Asia to another country?
Most likely you won't be moving with the fish and tank overseas.
Your financial situation will improve, your in school that's a big hurdle.
Fish, tanks and reefing will be there and probably better than it is.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this. Life is hard, cruel, and very short, so I think you should do the things that bring you joy as much as you can. My tank brings me so much joy and happiness, to me it’s worth the cost and the time and effort it takes to keep it.

This quote changed my life, it’s not entirely applicable, but it has to do with futility of trying to live up to expectations and not letting yourself enjoy life/the little things:

I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.

-Dorian Corey

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this. Life is hard, cruel, and very short, so I think you should do the things that bring you joy as much as you can. My tank brings me so much joy and happiness, to me it’s worth the cost and the time and effort it takes to keep it.

This quote changed my life, it’s not entirely applicable, but it has to do with futility of trying to live up to expectations and not letting yourself enjoy life/the little things:

I always had hopes of being a big star. But as you get older, you aim a little lower. Everybody wants to make an impression, some mark upon the world. Then you think, you've made a mark on the world if you just get through it, and a few people remember your name. Then you've left a mark. You don't have to bend the whole world. I think it's better to just enjoy it. Pay your dues, and just enjoy it. If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high, hooray for you.

-Dorian Corey
That's a truly amazing way to think about it. Thank you so much for sharing that with me!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Dorian Corey
Very well said.

Life is not a matter of what you remember.. who remembers you is the true key to immortality. In the end, the cold stone that marks your grave is the same as everyone elses.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I've been thinking about it today and I decided this hobby is certainly not something I'm abandoning anytime soon unless something major comes up (which you never know when that may happen in life so I'm gonna spend today enjoying the past time that's I've always loved!) I will however budget my money better and try to be smart about my purchases. (The frags I get are like $35 max.) My two aquariums bring me so much enjoyment and keep me moving during the day giving me something to do. Plus here I can get species I never could in America and I'm not gonna let the opportunity to own some of these creatures pass me by. Thank you all for your advice!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I've been thinking about it today and I decided this hobby is certainly not something I'm abandoning anytime soon unless something major comes up (which you never know when that may happen in life so I'm gonna spend today enjoying the past time that's I've always loved!) I will however budget my money better and try to be smart about my purchases. (The frags I get are like $35 max.) My two aquariums bring me so much enjoyment and keep me moving during the day giving me something to do. Plus here I can get species I never could in America and I'm not gonna let the opportunity to own some of these creatures pass me by. Thank you all for your advice!
Wish you much success!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back